What's new

B&M Inverts, Best to Worst

Darren B

Giga Poster
Banshee - Amazing drop, Inversions, layout. Love this coaster.
Nemesis - Best coaster in the UK. Great layout, forces etc.
Talon - Is always doing something and doesn't have a single dead spot in the whole ride. Great fun.
Nemesis Inferno - I have a real soft spot for this ride, especially back row in the dark.
Raptor - Good. Don't really have anything negative to say about it. But nothing to rave about either.
Batman (SFGAdv) - Good, fun coaster. Plenty of forces.
Batman (SFGAm) - See above.
Batman (PW) - A little too intense for my liking. Still good fun but I couldn't re-ride.
Great Bear - BORING! It literally has 4 elements and then meanders to the brake run.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
B&M Inverts, Best to Worst

Having finally had some good rides on inferno this had changed a little.

1: Nemesis - I love it, still in my top 10
2: Montu - Fantastic Batwing, everything about this is awesome
3: Nemesis Inferno - Back row, night rides, all effects working, it's fab. Otherwise it's nowhere near as good
4: Raptor - Great first drop and final helix, rest is just ok
5: Great Bear - Decent, immelmann is the best part, couple of nice legchoppers but that's it
6: Dragon Fire - Nothing great, still a solid ride
7: Dragon Ice - Same as fire, less intense

I'd re-ride them all, don't dislike any.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
After 5 new ones this year (including one B:TR clone), a bit of rearranging, plus more recent rides on my former favourite, my list looks like this:

Monster, Parc Walygator - Fantastic. Consistently very forceful and snappy all the way round.

Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa - The Batwing is the highlight, but it is supported by a very long forceful layout.

Nemesis, Alton Towers - Tight, intense and full of extreme snappiness, although a little on the short side.

Talon, Dorney Park - Beautiful layout, with airtime pops, a powerful finale and an above average first half

Black Mamba, Phantasialand - Great interaction with theming and surprisingly good airtime, but feels a bit too controlled.

Batman La Fuga, Parque Warner Madrid - The superior B:TR clone as the intensity is done with a better mixture of grace and snappiness

Katun, Mirabilandia - A bit too violent and rough in places, but the first drop is fab and the intensity is blissful in many places

Great Bear - The initial helix, Immelmann and zero-g roll are excellent, but the ride just seems to end too quickly.

Batman: The Ride, SFMM - Very intense, but there is less time to be able to appreciate each element.

Batman: The Ride, SFGAdv - Same as above, but it is a bit overly violent.

OzIris, Parc Asterix - First half is pretty forceful, but the second half is a little too floaty for my liking

Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park - It's pretty good, but nothing really stands out and it is a tad forgettable

Hungarian Horntail, Islands of Adventure - Mostly a bit rough and average, but zero-g and cobra roll are quite forceful

Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Too big to be that forceful and trimming would often make the second half dull, although the cobra roll was very forceful. Quite jerky as well.

Chinese Fireball, Islands of Adventure - The beginning elements had pretty poor pacing, although the second half is a bit better

Silver Bullet, Knott's Berry Farm - A really poor B&M invert. The layout is quite unique but the ride practically has no force.

I have also ridden Flight Deck at CGA, but that was five years ago before I started ranking coasters and my tastes and realisation of different rides features and forces has changed a lot since then, so I don't feel I can rank it, although I previously placed it between the bottom two. Plus I only rode it once.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
1. Montu - It's just brilliant, forceful and an amazing amazing coaster.
2. Nemesis - It is just a fantastic coaster, world class.
3. Dragon Challenge Hungarian Horntail - Forceful, not too rough, thrilling, genuinely love it
4. Dragon Challenge Chinese Fireball - Less intense and forceful, still a very good coaster.
5. Nemesis Inferno - When the full effects are on that makes this coaster for me, it's still a great coaster

peep

CF Legend
I've decided I'm going to do one of these lists even though I don't usually do them.

Katun - Just a phenomenal rollercoaster with a fantastic first drop.

OzIris - An unusual layout with fantastic forces, those little dips add so much to the ride. The pacing throughout is excellent. Also Egyptian theming <3

Black Mamba - I had such an incredible few rides on this earlier in the year, like it was just outstanding. It had a bit of a fierce rattle to it and it just flew through the layout, it felt so out of control.

Nemesis - I've had a lot of meh rides on this but when it's good its absolutely brilliant. Has one of the best vertical loops imo.

Montu - Amazing ride, really didn't think it'd live up to the hype but it totally does, that batwing was insane. Once again, Egyptian theming <3

Flight Deck - Really enjoyed this one, the elements around the park entrance is cool and the little air time hill over the lift hill / station is fantastic.

Nemesis Inferno - Ive had plenty of awesome rides on this but sometimes it can be a little boring.

Banshee - A great ride that is very re rideable, just didn't enjoy as much as those above.

Dragon Challenge (whatever they're called now at IOA) - Really enjoy these two but couldn't tell you which one is which, far too similar. They lack a bit in the straights so they could duel, shame they don't now.

Monster - Has some great moments but is let down by just being in a field and having some boring sections.

Talon - Fun coaster, not too intense or does anything outstanding but just enjoyable.

Alpengeist - Once again has some great moments but overall didn't think it was that amazing.

Raptor - Has a great first drop but overall it didn't ride well and found some moments to be dull.

Batman clones - Really dislike them, they're either dull or too forceful, causes too much discomfort to be able to enjoy.

Hmm, I think that's all of them. I think most could easily swap around depending on how I feel at the time. There's really not that much between them, all good solid rides.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
1. Talon - Dorney Park
2. Batman The Ride - Six Flags Great Adventure
3. Raptor - Cedar Point
4. Great Bear - Hersheypark
5. Dragon Challenge : Chinese Fireball - IoA

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Batman - Obviously I'm a massive minority, but I absolutely adore Batman (only ridden the one at SFGAdv). It has great intensity, and its pacing is just perfect for me.

Afterburn - It's got good pacing and good intensity, and a lack of a MCBR is nice. The batwing is a great element.

Montu - Another great ride, also highlighted by the batwing. Just didn't enjoy it as much as Afterburn.

Alpengeist - Solid ride, although not as forceful as the others. It's a bit rough in places, especially the cobra roll.

Raptor - It's been a couple years since I rode this, but it was a solid ride. Nothing good or bad to say really, just a fun invert.

Chinese Fireball - Both of the dragons feel short and incomplete. I found this one to be more forceful and more fun.

Hungarian Horntail - It feels too short, and I didn't like it as much as its counterpart. Still enjoyable though.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
1. Nemesis, Alton Towers
2. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
3. Talon, Dorney Park
4. Chinese Fireball, Islands of Adventure
5. Great Bear, Hersheypark
6. Patriot, Worlds of Fun
7. Hungarian Horntail, Islands of Adventure
8. Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
9. Batman the Ride Clones
10. Raptor, Cedar Point
11. Silver Bullet, Knott's Berry Farm
12. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
13. Flight Deck, California's Great America

zips_6

Roller Poster
1. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa

2. Nemesis - Alton Towers

3. Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

4. Raptor - Cedar Point

5. Black Mamba - Phantasialand

6. Afterburn - Carowinds

Sorry for the strange number but I feel these six coasters really stand out.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
Banshee: bloody brilliant and exactly what Kings Island needed.
Montu: Very forceful and long but is less than Banshee.
Raptor: Very meh but great fun.
Batman:TR St. Louis: my legs felt on fire so big letdown.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Time for a quick update (new in bold):

1. Pyrennees - Fantastic coaster. It has the height, speed, length and "old school" B&M feel to it.

2. Afterburn - Where did it come from? Never heard of it before, but it was amazing. Could have benefited from some actual mist in the tunnel though, instead of that pathetic sprinkle that was there.

3. Nemesis - Maybe it's loyalty/nostalgia, but there really is nothing else like it.

4. Katun - Best first drop of any invert I've ridden, and stupidly forceful to the point of feeling quite ill after a few rerides.

5. Black Mamba - Really good fun with excellent theming. Smooth and forceful.

6. Talon - Forceful layout with no "dead" spots at all. An excellent coaster.

7. Great Bear - Huge surprise! I've heard so many mediocre reports on it, but I thought it was excellent. The whole "dying at the end" argument left me expecting a really crappy second half, but it's literally RIGHT at the end. There's not much track left after the corkscrew anyway.

8. Alpengeist - Loved the first half. The second half was ****, especially the zero g that actually does NOTHING. End of discussion.

9. Phaethon - One of the best zero g rolls I've ridden, but the rest of the coaster is a bit bland. It's tall, long and has a nice layout, but it's just too smooth and lacks force. It's easily, along with Patriot, the most reridable of the bunch though, and one of the most enjoyable.

10. Patriot - Reminded me a lot of Phaethon, in that it's really smooth and reridable, though not particularly forceful. The zero-g ties with Phaethon's for my favourite zero g of any coaster.

11. Flight Deck - Got some old-school B&M forces to it, and the helix over the lake is nice, but it's just ridiculously short.

12. Batman The Ride (Warner Madrid) - Yeah, they're all the same ride, but I enjoyed this one the most. Probably to do with the theming of the area and station.

13. Batman The Ride (St. Louis) - Seemed much more forceful than Great Adventure's. However, I wasn't in the best condition to judge on the day I rode it. A big apple would have felt too forceful to be honest.

14. Batman The Ride (Magic Mountain) - Same as the ones above and below really.

15. Batman The Ride (Great Adventure) - Maybe I was expecting too much, but it did nothing for me. This was my first Batman clone, but I much preferred the two I rode after it.

16. Silver Bullet - It's probably because I had very low expectations based on others' opinions, but I thought it was alright really. I'll agree with the whole "forceless" argument, but it's enjoyable enough.

17. Nemesis Inferno - I liked it a lot more last time I rode it, but it's still not as good as the ones I've listed above it.

18. Raptor - Just a bit crap to be honest when compared with all the others.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Chris Coasters said:
1. Talon - Dorney Park
3. Raptor - Cedar Point

Add Alpengeist to the list and put it in the number 2 spot behind Talon.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: B&M Inverts, Best to Worst

1) Batman SFGAm- I've rode it countless times, so I know every bit of it. It's fast, forceful, and it almost never has a line! :p But the thing that did it for me was namtaB(AKA Batman backwards). It's just so intense, you can't tell what's coming, and is overall a great ride.

2) Raptor- As the longest and most inverted invert I've ridden, it's not logical to put it lower. It's probably the most straight invert drop(seriously, all inverts have curved drops!), it has that cobra roll, and it's just pure fun!

3) Great Bear- Like Gavin, I don't get why people say it's bad! It has some cool interaction, and not as many elements, but that's what makes it unique!

4) Batman SFSTl- I don't know if it's the colors, or the ground, or the mirrored layout, but it just wasn't as good as other inverts.

5) Dragon Challenge(Horntail)- Ok, I rode it before I was a coaster enthusiast, in the middle row, on a gloomy day, and with the thought: "This is just like Batman, this is just like Batman" up the lift. 1/3 through the ride, I was screaming: "THIS IS NOT BATMAN, THIS IS NOT BATMAN!". I guess I need to reride it.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

gforce

Roller Poster
I like all of them, I hate to call one 'worst". Also I was spited by Pyrenees. But here is my list.

1. Black Mamba: I really like how it keeps up it's speed the whole ride. The inversions and the turns are sweet and I love going through the buildings up the lift hill too. Not to mention it has the best themeing on any B&M i've ever ridden.

2. Banshee: Just rode it in August and I can definitely say it is a very unique, intense, and fun experience especially at night. The heartline roll is just so weird and awesome and the forces in some parts of the ride are super intense.

3. Nemesis: Most of you in the UK have ridden it so you know how you can't quite explain why Nemesis is so great, it just is. It's really intense and that zero-g is amazing. I love how low to the ground it is too.

4. Montu: All around great coaster, I love every single part of it. The g-forces are great, the inversions are great, I really like it a lot. Best batwing element on any coaster ever. I love the variety of elements.

5. OzIris: The drop is really good on this coaster, I love the whole "immelmann, loop, immelmann" pattern in the first part of the ride. I love both of the zero-g roll's and I also like how it doesn't waste the end of the ride with a bunch of boring turns. Took me a while to debate if I liked this or Montu better, but I think I like Montu a tad more.

6. Katun: I agree with Gavin about feeling a little nauseous afterwards but other than that this coaster is a bundle of joy. I also agree with Gavin about it having the best drop on a B&M invert. It's got some crazy g-forces and is a fun ride throughout.

7. Afterburn: Afterburn is a kick ass B&M invert. It has great g-forces, a great zero-g, and of course my favorite inversion, a batwing. It has a pretty decent drop and some nice tunnels. I also really like the trains for some reason, why is that?

8. Alpengeist: Alpengeist is an extremely intense and forceful B&M Invert. The drop is really good, it has some great forces, all around good coaster. I thought the cobra roll was a little bit jerky but I don't like cobra roll's in general anyway.

9. Patriot: This coaster kind of reminds me of OzIris, doesn't waste the ride with boring turns at the end, has an awesome zero-g, and is pretty forceful too. I actually like these quick roller coasters because I want to keep riding them over and over, and I guess that is the explanation of why I rode this 12 times in my last visit to Worlds of Fun. All around fun coaster.

10. Talon: In case you haven't noticed, Cedar Fair generally has some really good B&M inverts. This one reminds me a lot of Black Mamba, it never lets up it's speed, and it It has some great elements. It is my favorite roller coaster at Dorney Park.

11. Batman: The Ride clones: Good fun, decent forces, just an all around fun ride. Who doesn't like a nice Batman clone? The only thing bad is it has that part at the end with boring turns but the rest of the ride is fun.

12. Flight Deck: A surprisingly intense, short but sweet, and fun roller coaster. I love how it goes over the lake. There are more forces than you may expect on this coaster, in fact I have even heard of blackout's on it. Good coaster.

13: Monster: This coaster is overrated. It's not bad at all, but not great. It had some good forces to it and all, but the only reason why it is so re-rideable is because you are at Walygator Park, AKA Crap Coaster Central.

14: Hungarian Horntail: Not as bad as people make it out to be, I have heard people say it has to many straights and doesn't have a lot of forces, but it was a pretty decent coaster to me.

15: Chinese Fireball: The other Dueling Dragon, I found this one to be more forceless than Horntail and the elements not being as good as the ones on Horntail. It was alright.

16. Phaethon: The zero-g is great but the rest of the ride is just "eh". Not a bad coaster, just could have been better. Kinda like sex without the happy ending part...

17. Nemesis Inferno: It's okay. Nothing to special, and obviously the original Nemesis is a lot better. It has some decent forces but one of the lesser rides at Thorpe Park. That does not mean it is bad, it just isn't too special.

18. Great Bear: I don't like the whole "g-forces on your legs" thing. It feels really weird and uncomfortable. I do agree the ride kinda dies in the second half, but the coaster overall is OK...

19. Silver Bullet: Not as bad as some people say it is, but yeah it is pretty forceless. I actually usually ride this one when I am kind of tired from walking around, so I can just sit down and enjoy the wind in my face.

20: Raptor: It is barely OK, it is the opposite of Black Mamba or Talon, on this one it loses it's speed throughout the ride. Sometimes when I make a trip to Cedar Point I don't even bother riding it.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Chris Coasters said:
1. Talon - Dorney Park
3. Raptor - Cedar Point

1. Banshee
2. Talon - Dorney Park
3. Alpengeist - Busch
4. Batman The Ride - Six Flags Great Adventure