What's new

B&M Inverts, Best to Worst

S

SimonSays99

I have ridden quite some but find most them not easy to rate as they are so close together - which is true for most B&M coaster types as the have IMO a "ridden one, know all" similarity in respect to pacing, g-forces and layout.

But a few I have ridden stand out:
- Nemesis, Alton Towers - love the terrain layout and good pacing
- Black Mamba, Phantasialand - great pacing, love the layout
- Afterburn, Carowinds - hey a B&M invert with good forces
- Banshee, Kings Island - just for the sheer size of it

I personally would rate Alpengeist the weakest. It has a good layout and pacing but found it to be un-B&M-ish rough in some places.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Jarrett said:
2012Jarrett said:
1. Afterburn- Such a good coaster! Sick drop, sik wingover, sick helix, excellent trains, beautiful to look at, I love this thing! I get off feeling amazing and ready to ride Intimidator and go home every time!
2. Alpengeist- Why does everybody rag on this one? It isn't as forceful as Afterburn is but it's still pretty great. I find it pretty disorienting and smooth.
3. Raptor- Love the drop, wingover, and OMG that helix! <3
4. Batman- Found it forgettable. Nothing special about it.

Adding Montu in November & Banshee next April.

Just thought I'd join the club and update mine. New ones are in bold text.

1. Banshee- Easily the best invert I've ridden. Good mix of elements, good theming, and it really combines the smoothness of new B&M with the intensity and snap of old B&M. Only bad thing I have to say about it is that the green train rattles a bit and the purple train rattles like crazy. But if you ride it in the blue train it'll be the best B&M invert experience of your life.
2. Montu- Again, great theming, good intense layout, and that entrenched wingover is amazing. I feel like it doesn't have as much good terrain action as Banshee (probably because Florida :p ) and it farts around at the end except for that wingover.
3. Afterburn- Such a good coaster! Sick drop, sik wingover, sick helix, excellent trains, beautiful to look at, I love this thing! I get off feeling amazing and ready to ride Intimidator and go home every time!
4. Batman (SFMM, backwards)- Turning this invert around was a wise choice! I rode its clone forward in Atlanta in 2006 and it felt pretty soulless and unoriginal as opposed to Afterburn (my favorite at the time) and every one I rode after just seemed better. But backwards it's just insane. I recreated this clone in RCT3 and even after having done that I couldn't tell what was next after the second loop and the whole ride was taking me by surprise.
5. Alpengeist- Why does everybody rag on this one? It isn't as forceful as Afterburn is but it's still pretty great. I find it pretty disorienting and smooth.
6. Raptor- Love the drop, wingover, and OMG that helix! <3 Only thing that kills it for me is that I don't find it that unique and there's a tad bit of headbanging.
7. Silver Bullet- Definitely the least intense one I rode but by golly it's fun! Nice interaction with the water and I liked the cobra roll. I feel like if it's possible that this one should be fitted with the new B&M trains more than any other invert. It shouldn't provide enough forces to cause issue with the wider seats and I can see them looking awesome going through the cobra roll.
8. Batman (SFOG, forwards)- Found it forgettable. Nothing special about it.

Just an update, moved one and added two.

1. Banshee- Easily the best invert I've ridden. Good mix of elements, good theming, and it really combines the smoothness of new B&M with the intensity and snap of old B&M. Only bad thing I have to say about it is that the green train rattles a bit and the purple train rattles like crazy. But if you ride it in the blue train it'll be the best B&M invert experience of your life.
2. Montu- Again, great theming, good intense layout, and that entrenched wingover is amazing. I feel like it doesn't have as much good terrain action as Banshee (probably because Florida :p ) and it farts around at the end except for that wingover.
3. Afterburn- Such a good coaster! Sick drop, sik wingover, sick helix, excellent trains, beautiful to look at, I love this thing! I get off feeling amazing and ready to ride Intimidator and go home every time!
4. Great Bear- Like Alpengeist, I don't see why people don't like it. It meanders towards the end, but that's only a small fraction of time compared to the twisty unique nature of the rest of this. The creekside location really made the ride what it is. The helix drop is fun and unique, some nice forces through the elements, and flying over the Hollow midway and scraping the hillside next to the creek (complete with the best footchoppers ever) is awesome! Love this one!
5. Silver Bullet- Definitely the least intense one I rode but by golly it's fun! Nice interaction with the water and I liked the cobra roll. I feel like if it's possible that this one should be fitted with the new B&M trains more than any other invert. It shouldn't provide enough forces to cause issue with the wider seats and I can see them looking awesome going through the cobra roll.
6. Talon- This one really underwhelmed me for some reason. I was expecting something similar to Afterburn and that isn't what I got. It's still great fun, don't get me wrong, and it's very smooth, but it just felt soulless and unoriginal. Still a good standard invert, though, and had a ton of fun on it.
7. Batman (SFMM, backwards)- Turning this invert around was a wise choice! I rode its clone forward in Atlanta in 2006 and it felt pretty soulless and unoriginal as opposed to Afterburn (my favorite at the time) and every one I rode after just seemed better. But backwards it's just insane. I recreated this clone in RCT3 and even after having done that I couldn't tell what was next after the second loop and the whole ride was taking me by surprise.
8. Alpengeist- Why does everybody rag on this one? It isn't as forceful as Afterburn is but it's still pretty great. I find it pretty disorienting and smooth.
9. Raptor- Love the drop, wingover, and OMG that helix! <3 Only thing that kills it for me is that I don't find it that unique and there's a tad bit of headbanging.
10. Batman (SFOG, forwards)- Found it forgettable. Nothing special about it.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Jarrett said:
2012Jarrett said:
1. Afterburn- Such a good coaster! Sick drop, sik wingover, sick helix, excellent trains, beautiful to look at, I love this thing! I get off feeling amazing and ready to ride Intimidator and go home every time!
2. Alpengeist- Why does everybody rag on this one? It isn't as forceful as Afterburn is but it's still pretty great. I find it pretty disorienting and smooth.
3. Raptor- Love the drop, wingover, and OMG that helix! <3
4. Batman- Found it forgettable. Nothing special about it.

Adding Montu in November & Banshee next April.

Just thought I'd join the club and update mine. New ones are in bold text.

4. Batman (SFMM, backwards)- Turning this invert around was a wise choice! I rode its clone forward in Atlanta in 2006 and it felt pretty soulless and unoriginal as opposed to Afterburn (my favorite at the time) and every one I rode after just seemed better. But backwards it's just insane. I recreated this clone in RCT3 and even after having done that I couldn't tell what was next after the second loop and the whole ride was taking me by surprise.
5. Alpengeist- Why does everybody rag on this one? It isn't as forceful as Afterburn is but it's still pretty great. I find it pretty disorienting and smooth.
6. Raptor- Love the drop, wingover, and OMG that helix! <3 Only thing that kills it for me is that I don't find it that unique and there's a tad bit of headbanging.
7. Silver Bullet- Definitely the least intense one I rode but by golly it's fun! Nice interaction with the water and I liked the cobra roll. I feel like if it's possible that this one should be fitted with the new B&M trains more than any other invert. It shouldn't provide enough forces to cause issue with the wider seats and I can see them looking awesome going through the cobra roll.
8. Batman (SFOG, forwards)- Found it forgettable. Nothing special about it.

Just an update, moved one and added two.

4. Great Bear- Like Alpengeist, I don't see why people don't like it. It meanders towards the end, but that's only a small fraction of time compared to the twisty unique nature of the rest of this. The creekside location really made the ride what it is. The helix drop is fun and unique, some nice forces through the elements, and flying over the Hollow midway and scraping the hillside next to the creek (complete with the best footchoppers ever) is awesome! Love this one!
5. Silver Bullet- Definitely the least intense one I rode but by golly it's fun! Nice interaction with the water and I liked the cobra roll. I feel like if it's possible that this one should be fitted with the new B&M trains more than any other invert. It shouldn't provide enough forces to cause issue with the wider seats and I can see them looking awesome going through the cobra roll.
6. Talon- This one really underwhelmed me for some reason. I was expecting something similar to Afterburn and that isn't what I got. It's still great fun, don't get me wrong, and it's very smooth, but it just felt soulless and unoriginal. Still a good standard invert, though, and had a ton of fun on it.
7. Batman (SFMM, backwards)- Turning this invert around was a wise choice! I rode its clone forward in Atlanta in 2006 and it felt pretty soulless and unoriginal as opposed to Afterburn (my favorite at the time) and every one I rode after just seemed better. But backwards it's just insane. I recreated this clone in RCT3 and even after having done that I couldn't tell what was next after the second loop and the whole ride was taking me by surprise.
8. Alpengeist- Why does everybody rag on this one? It isn't as forceful as Afterburn is but it's still pretty great. I find it pretty disorienting and smooth.
9. Raptor- Love the drop, wingover, and OMG that helix! <3 Only thing that kills it for me is that I don't find it that unique and there's a tad bit of headbanging.
10. Batman (SFOG, forwards)- Found it forgettable. Nothing special about it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Realized I hadn't updated following my visit to Carowinds:

Banshee
Afterburn
Raptor
Great Bear
Patriot
Talon
Dragon Challenge Chinese Fireball
Dragon Challenge Hungarian Horntail
Batman
Silver Bullet

Afterburn is quite an astonishing roller coaster - fantastic pacing with great inversions and g-force. Can't praise it enough!

Ketchup

Mega Poster
1. Nemesis - Still the best by far, insane from start to finish. Probably the best non B&M hyper.
2. Montu
3. Afterburn - This thing never gets talked about but was great. A real surprise considering I didn't really know that much about it before going to Carowinds.
4. Banshee
5. Alpengeist
6. Raptor
7. Nemesis Inferno - Very underrated coaster, I have the feeling that if this was at any other park instead of Thorpe it would get a bit more praise.
8. Talon
9. Batman (Done 3 of these but can't be assed to rank them individually, the Magic Mountain and Great America Batman's were far better than the Great Adventure one though for some weird reason).
10. Great Bear
11. Dueling Dragons (or whatever they are called now) - I loved these when I went to Florida when i was about 9, but when I went back about 3 years ago I thought they were both a bit crap. The Fire one was slightly better than the Ice one though.

I'd say that anything up from and including Talon are very good coasters. My only issue is some of them are a bit too samey for lack of a better description, so much so that when trying to rank some of them I struggled to differentiate them.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Don't think I've updated mine for a while either.

1. Nemesis - It may be short, but what it does is perfect. Amazing inversions and great forces in a cool setting. I've heard people say that it could be a little longer but I think it's fine the way it is.

2. Alepengeist - Great sense of speed, huge, intense inversions and good theming make this a pretty great ride.

3. Nemesis Inferno - Some nice, tight inversions and cool theming make this one of the better rides at Thorpe imo.

4. Chinese Fireball - Rode these when they dueled, but way before I considered myself an enthusiast. I had a lot of fun with them and the immelmanns were the highlights on this one.

5. Hungarian Horntail - Also really fun when it dueled but the cobra roll was a little messy.

6. Batman (SFGAd) - Intense ride throughout but I felt some moments were a little too forceful and somewhat rattly. Wish I got more than one ride to get a better opinion.

7. Great Bear - Overall fun ride, but probably the least intense invert I've been on. The inversions and drop were good but didn't have any real snap or force.

8. Raptor - Again, need to ride this again for a better opinion, but it was kind of a blur and some of the elements were a bit rattly.

Virus

Roller Poster
1. Montu
2. Afterburn
3. Banshee
4. Raptor
5. Batman Clones
6. Alpengeist
7. Dueling Dragons

Darren B

Giga Poster
1. Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
2. Banshee, Kings Island
3. Nemesis, Alton Towers
4. Talon, Dorney Park
5. Afterburn, Carowinds
6. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
7. Raptor, Cedar Point
8. Batman, Six Flags St Louis
9. Batman, Six Flags Great Adventure
10. Batman, Six Flags Great America
11. Goliath, Six Flags Fiesta Texas
12. Great White, SeaWorld San Antonio
13. Batman, Parque Warner
14. Batman, Six Flags Over Texas
15. Great Bear, Hershey Park
16. Batman Backwards, Six Flags Over Georgia

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Interesting you have Banshee and Alpengeist ahead of Nemesis. What makes the difference for you?

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
valleyfair! said:
1. Nemesis, Alton Towers
2. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
3. Talon, Dorney Park
4. Chinese Fireball, Islands of Adventure
5. Great Bear, Hersheypark
6. Patriot, Worlds of Fun
7. Hungarian Horntail, Islands of Adventure
8. Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
9. Batman the Ride Clones
10. Raptor, Cedar Point
11. Silver Bullet, Knott's Berry Farm
12. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
13. Flight Deck, California's Great America
1. Nemesis, Alton Towers
2. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
3. Banshee, Kings Island
4. Afterburn, Carowinds
5. Talon, Dorney Park
6. Chinese Fireball, Islands of Adventure
7. Great Bear, Hersheypark
8. Patriot, Worlds of Fun
9. Hungarian Horntail, Islands of Adventure
10. Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
11. Batman the Ride Clones
12. Raptor, Cedar Point
13. Silver Bullet, Knott's Berry Farm
14. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
15. Flight Deck, California's Great America

The_Borlinator

Roller Poster
Haven't done many but

Nemesis (Alton Towers)
Vampire (Chessington World Of Adventures)
Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park)

I will be riding Oziris at Parc Asterix next yeat thoug :--D

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Jordanovichy said:
1. Montu - It's just brilliant, forceful and an amazing amazing coaster.
2. Black Mamba - Absolutely amazing. How it whizzes around the terrain with plenty of force, it's fantastically themed, and brilliant.
3. Nemesis - It is just a fantastic coaster, world class.
4. Dragon Challenge Hungarian Horntail - Forceful, not too rough, thrilling, genuinely love it
5. Dragon Challenge Chinese Fireball - Less intense and forceful, still a very good coaster.
6. Nemesis Inferno - When the full effects are on that makes this coaster for me, it's still a great coaster

1. Montu
2. Black Mamba
3. Pyrenees - Really really good, lots of speed and force, really enjoyed it...it did lack something though but I just can't put my finger on what...
4. Nemesis
5. Diavlo - I'd only ridden one other Batman clone and this was by far superior, so enjoyable, it is positioned on a cliff over a service road giving the sense of being really high up, bit rattly in the back is why this isn't higher.
(3, 4 and 5 are all pretty interchangeable tbh)
6. Dragon Challenge Hungarian Horntail
7. Dragon Challenge Chinese Fireball
8. Nemesis Inferno
9. Batman La Fuga - The worst invert I've been on my quite a way, but as it is still a B&M invert I did still enjoy it, at the back it was just too forceful and made it unenjoyable, at the front, the amount of trees just kills it for me when you might expect it to make it.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
1: Katun - A beast.
2: Montu - I love the batwing.
3: Nemesis - Solid Ride.
4: Nemesis Inferno - Decent Ride.
5: Dragon Challenge Ice - The better of the two.
6: Dragon Challenge Fire - Both were better when they duelled.

1: Katun
2: Montu
3: Pyrenees
4: Nemesis
5: Nemesis Inferno
6: Dragon Challenge Ice
7: Dragon Challenge Fire
8: Diavlo

DelPiero

Strata Poster
DelPiero said:
1: Nemesis
3: Black Mamba
4: Nemesis Inferno
5: Raptor
6: Great Bear
7: Dragon Fire
8: Dragon Ice
Couple of newbies;

1: Nemesis
3: Talon - Wonderful no frills invert with great force, excellent helix and airtime
4: Batman The Ride (SFGAdv) (namtaB) - Ridiculous force, maybe a bit too much, only rode twice and was proper dizzy, I really want to try a forward facing one
5: Black Mamba
6: Raptor
7: Great Bear
8: Nemesis Inferno - Really sucked the other day so it's dropped.
9: Dragon Fire
10: Dragon Ice

andrus

Giga Poster
End of season, so thought I update my list as well:

1) Black Mamba
2) Katun
3) Flight Deck New!
4) Batman the Ride (clones) New!
5) Nemesis
6) Talon
7) Alpengeist
8) Great Bear
9) Nemesis Inferno

So BM is still in top! Really is the perfect invert :--D And have to agree with Attackhammer; Katun is a beast too! :wink:

Then things have changed around a bit: Flight Deck is new on the list. Haven't heard much of this ride, but it totally took me by surprice! Fast, forcefull and great use of the terrain :) A little bit short, sure. But really sweet ride!

Have been on one Batman clone before, but riding one again at SFMM got me to apreciate it more. They are borderline too intense for me. But having been on countless mediocre creds on Magic Mountain (hadn't ridden X2 or Colossus yet) it was a fresh breeze of awesomeness! So fast, so incredibly fast :--D And borderline too intense..

Nemesis, Talon and Alpengeist were good. Great Bear and NI are forgettable.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Oh yeah, I forgot to update my list a bit

Katun
Nemesis
Black Mamba
Batman (SFMM)
Nemesis Inferno

Jer

Strata Poster
Its been a while since I posted, guess I can update now

1. Talon - Still one of my favorite B&Ms, great forces and very smooth
2. Great Bear - The unique drop alone is enough for this ride, but it's amazing forces and great layout are even better
3. Alpengeist - I didn't love this as much as I expected, it hasn't aged well being pretty rough everywhere, If Great Bear "dies" after the last corkscrew so does this.
4. Raptor - Honestly don't remember much of this, I was extremely tired when I rode so I may have to go back to properly place it
5. Batman: The Ride Clones - Not bad by any standard, I just dont really enjoy them.