What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah, stupid. have already had several people comment on how unsafe it is, this isn't going to get more people in the UK keen to ride a wooden coaster.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Eurgh. Just posted on twitter that I thought it was a bad theme for a family coaster, and someone's told me I'm "talking rubbish" as Alton Towers haven't said it's a family coaster, so therefore it isn't.

Are Alton Towers going for a new world record of how many demographics they can discourage from riding a coaster?

Will

Strata Poster
I feel like we already knew all this - I've been referring to it as 'Wicker man' for months.
The concept art is unexpectedly fab, so again I'll echo everyone praising that.

My initial thoughts were - everyone loves fire effects, so, as predictable as this was, I quite like it. I was forgetting there were corners of the internet that still think Alton's coasters are wicked, evil and dangerous, but this combination was unlikely to go down well there. What we're all forgetting is that this park is run by Merlin - the effects will be broken before Summer's out.

And it's still a better claim than 'first suspended roller coaster entirely over water' ;)

supersion

Mega Poster
I've been in and out of this topic for months, just staying optimistic with the whole thing.... my thoughts now however...

As pretty much everyone has pointed out, the 'Worlds First' element, is an absolute stretch! Im quite amazed that they've even tried to sell it as a worlds first...

Going by the artwork, which I must say looks great, I'm now expecting quite a lot of fire on the structure, as they seem to have overloaded the image with it... but time will only tell with how much there will be!

But at least they've given a realistic render of how long these effects will last... :p
26733557_10155116209863639_7102286652590433064_n.jpg

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The coaster will ride like American Thunder at absolute best, based on how it looks in that shot they released from the Skyride, which could definitely be played off as a family coaster and had several kids riding it with their parents. So why they gave it an incredibly dark theme involving cults and human sacrifice is beyond me. I like the coaster, I like the theme, but not together. If I'm correct that it's smack dab between Mutiny and Katanga, either pirates or African would have made a great theme for a coaster that caters to this demographic. Or they could have used the theme on a larger, more edgy GCI like Mystic Timbers or Renegade.

And that ridiculous claim of being the world's first. It's not like this is a pointless addition and it deserves a bit more to highlight exactly why it's so unique. It's the first 21st century era wooden coaster in the UK, this alone should be enough to draw people to the park, so they could have focused on that instead of hyping up a few fire cannons that they'll turn off after a year or two. I agree that it's ridiculous, especially with them ignoring the main reason this is such an important coaster. Not much new from me on this topic.

It looks cool sprawling down over that hillside like that with the wicker man prop so I love how it looks and I'd say it's a cool coaster. Not world class, not even top ten, just a cool coaster with a neat theme that has a great visual presence.

spicy

Giga Poster
3E4EF28EB1FC4A588603E96F0750695F-1.gif

That's actually pretty awesome artwork. I hope the Wickerman is actually on fire as the train passes through it, could make for a really cool effect especially at night.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The track length is apparently 618m (2028 ft). Like I knew it was short, but not that short.
Where is the original source for that? I have seen it on Twitter, but not from any Alton Towers source. But yeah, I am disappointed if that is the track length. It makes it the world's smallest GCI.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Where is the original source for that? I have seen it on Twitter, but not from any Alton Towers source. But yeah, I am disappointed if that is the track length. It makes it the world's smallest GCI.
First saw it from the park's press release shared on TowersStreet forum and it also says it on RCDB.

scw55

Hyper Poster
It looks exactly as dark and gritty as we expected, and the "world's first" thing was possibly even more contrived than anybody had thought beforehand. Now we'll only have to wait and see what it rides like, and if anybody will be turned away by the dark theme, but so far the analyses of last year seem pretty spot-on.
The riders look a lot happier than with Th13733n.
998fa31802d2a8f731f10086c7ed0216.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Artwork looks great.
Name wasn't really spoiled. It was a logical conclusion from collective think tanking.
World's First looks really convoluted. It reminded me of the title for my Dissertation, which I barely passed with.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
What about Joris! haha And technically isn't Wildfire fire themed?
1024x576-joris-en-de-draak-5.jpg

In all seriousness. I'm really looking forward to it.

The marketing is BS, but I'd say 90% of marketing is BS in most fields. I mean, in a way it's pretty clever, they're giving it that dangerous ridiculous idea (FIRE AND WOOD) that get people talking, without actually stating that it is dangerous (like they did with swarms lost arms thing). Half my office today mentioned it purely based on this. They've managed to turn it's theming element into it's main talking point. Yes we all know it's utter baloney, but hearing reactions today it seems to have worked.

In terms of the ride, I have faith that it will become something that really settles into the parks line-up. Some of us will have to grit our teeth through the marketing, but I think they know what they're doing. Yes it annoyed me but People state that Thirteen's marketing was a fail but 2010 was an incredibly successful year for the park.

I for one am excited to see how it rides. That first air-time hill in a tunnel should be cool, then the s-hils, and how GCI are great at sneaking in air-time and lats into the slower sections. They've used the terrain really well from what I saw in person too.

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
I've said this on TST, but I think the most disappointing thing about this whole "experience" is that I don't, personally, think it's enough to get me to pay £55 to get in. Especially not on a limited away days budget, when Icon looks better and is cheaper to ride

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I've said this on TST, but I think the most disappointing thing about this whole "experience" is that I don't, personally, think it's enough to get me to pay £55 to get in.

How about £27.50 (I'm sorry but no one pays full price, infact towers are fully aware that less than 1% of guests do)

Although I do agree, Icon looks like it will be a better ride.