What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Martyn B said:
How do we know vertical construction isn't well underway? There is going to be a LOT of track for this coaster, yet there's not much in that picture...

That pictures from yesterday, the rest of the pictures show they're still pouring some of the footers and finishing off the groundwork, there's nothing vertical as of yesterday.

And yes, I did sign up to look at the pictures, no chance of me posting over there though so they'll soon see their member numbers and activity dropping again once their updates stop.

As for the above, the images they took will be made public after a few days, but they keep them 'member only' for a few days to add an incentive to potential new members. It's cheap, pathetic, and never a sign of a quality forum, but there's obviously a lot that's gone on with other sites that's led to them feeling the need to take such actions.

Still, far from the worst domestic-based forum full of halfbreeds I've come across.

Don't want to slag off other forums, but yeah, that's pretty low. To be honest I'm not that bothered not seeing them so I won't be making an account any time soon.

...But at least we have a few members of TT to leak these images to us...

On second thoughts, the black track is not as worse as it seems, the silver parts are quite unique and add that sci - fi theme to it.

It's fairly commonplace for forums for any other interest group to have 'members only' content, it just never really happened in the coaster community. I don't see any problem with how TTF are publishing their content, the Roflcopter is a great way to document this construction! And in any case, the pictures are being released on the SW7 minisite after 48 hours of exclusivity so you still get to see them if you don't want to sign up, just not first - I think it's worth signing up for the discussion anyway.

Aye that'll be the next step once they've got all the groundwork complete. It'll take a while for these style of footers to be set, once that happens the ride will be up in a matter of weeks, aren't Eurofighters (DON'T GET INTO THAT ARGUMENT AGAIN) relatively quick to put together?

Smithy said:
Aye that'll be the next step once they've got all the groundwork complete. It'll take a while for these style of footers to be set, once that happens the ride will be up in a matter of weeks, aren't Eurofighters (DON'T GET INTO THAT ARGUMENT AGAIN) relatively quick to put together?
One anwser. Yes.

Some pictures were posted on the themepark subreddit today - they look like the same that TowersTimes have but without the logo?

Have they actually flown themselves or are these pictures they've bought from someone else and watermarked?

Surely you're still able to access that bit by foot?

In theory, they'd still have the road open to get to hotels and waterpark? or at least your able to walk past this bit?

I have heard a rumour about it having LSM's on the first lift hill like on Maverick.

Can't tell you the source.

I wouldn't be shocked. There's leaked very-early concept work where they wanted a launched Vertical Coaster.

Perhaps they're introducing that element in this layout?

Zerogee said:
Some pictures were posted on the themepark subreddit today - they look like the same that TowersTimes have but without the logo?

Have they actually flown themselves or are these pictures they've bought from someone else and watermarked?

There's pictures on their forum without watermarks but members have been asked not to post them elsewhere until they're up on the main site.

If they're being posted elsewhere most websites are decent enough to remove the images. After all, it may be sad, but they have paid for these helicopter/plane flights to take photos, it's only fair that they try to take advantage of them and boost their visitor count.

Zerogee said:

A fellow redditor! <3

They've, supposedly, paid a helicopter pilot training company to take shots.

They're learning to fly above Alton Towers where they can also take photographs.

TheCoasterCruiser said:
I have heard a rumour about it having LSM's on the first lift hill like on Maverick.

Can't tell you the source.
That rumour has gone around since the plans were released. Also, there was an article on a website (maybe coastersandmore.de or one like that?) stating that it would have two propulsion systems to the ride, the vertical lift is almost definitely going to be a chain lift, making it the first lift being the different system.

^ Okay, haven't really followed this coaster, so I wasn't sure if it had been mentioned before.

Quick question, but where did this whole backstory about carmelisation / marmalade making / "the smiler" come from? Checked back though the topic a few pages and it just seems like people started talking about it randomly.
What have I missed?

It was part of the Sanctuary halloween horror walkthrough Alton had on during Scarefest. It was apparently the back story for SW7, or linked in some way.

It was all linked to 'The Sanctuary' Scare Attraction during Scarefest. We know they're both combined in terms of storyline and the story of The Sanctuary was where everyone brought the marmalisation elements up. In terms of The Smiler, somebody noticed online that Merlin (or maybe Alton, I forgot) had trademarked the name 'The Smiler' a couple of weeks/months ago. Due to all the PR with the face being shoved everywhere, people we putting 2 + 2 together and debating if the ride is actually going to be named The Smiler or if it was just the character/pr. :)

Just posted this on towers times, but ust a thought, the name for Thirteen was released around december the 11th in 2009, and I swear Swarm was revealed around the same time last year. Do you think that means we might be seeing the reveal of the name within the next few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.