What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I must say, Saw is my favourite ride in the country. I find B&M seats a bit comfier, but the Eurofighter seats are a million miles comfier than Intamin. Saw is perfectly smooth at all times except perhaps at the bottom of the drop where I get a bit thrown around. I can't see how anyone finds it rough, especially when the the ride they go on either before/after is Colossus, which is easily the roughest ride I've ever been on.

Edit: I'll just add that I find Speed: No Limits rather uncomfortable, but I've only ridden in it very heavy rain which was least pleasant to the face!

nealbie

CF Legend

The problem with Saw (and other Eurofighters to a seemingly lesser extent) isn't that it's rough, per say, just that the seats are not ergonomic in the slightest so all the forces attack your body in the wrong places because of your seating position. The base of the spine gets a particular pounding from Eurofighters and you get thrown around a lot anyway because the seats are all so massive and spacious - I dread to imagine what it's like for tiny (normal sized) people.

I feel it's more noticeable on Saw because there's much more to it than the other ones I've been on. It's odd though that the Eurofighter seats are so square and 'LEGO' shaped in design, but the launch cars are so comfy.

marc

CF Legend
Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I'm hoping they get the other trains for this as well, as there appears to be no virtical drop it should be ok and they have used the other trains on ones with the virtical lifts.

I have to sit leaning forward so I don't keep banging my head on the restraints.

At least Rage has some force on it so 2 rides I'm dizzy and had enough, the other ones just don't do it for me. Saw does have some nice sections but as said before to me they just all feel the same :(

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

nadroJ said:
However, with their most recent offering being The Swarm, I do believe they're finally learning (or re-realising) their lesson and are starting to be good at what they do again.

#And then they go and spoil it all by making something dreadful like sub-terra#

marc

CF Legend
Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I said that about 50 pages ago lol. A eurofighter by all accounts has to have a virtical lift and a virtical drop, this does not have that. For me this have never been a eurofighter for this reason.

Even though they say same type they don't say same model.

Lofty

CF Legend

The Planning Application really made people think it was a EF, which they shouldn't have, it stated the same "Manufacturer & Type". By "Type", I really think it was referring to the track type as opposed to overall EF type? Just a thought, but still, I don't exactly care, we've still got a LONG time to go until we find out.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

UC said:
Since it's very possible the trains are going to be unique (I can't see much else to make a significant world's first out of here), this may not be an issue.
Isn't the world's first element going to be that it's a single-track duelling coaster?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

http://www.rcdb.com/9481.htm

Is this not a single track duelling coaster?

I believe Grand National is classed as a 'Racing' coaster rather than a duelling one? Is that a real difference? You only do one side at a time, whereas Master Thai you do both sides.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Hm, maybe similar to those but SW7 would return you to the station you left from. Does that count as enough of a difference? Maybe not.

Lofty

CF Legend

^ No. That's not gonna happen, they wouldn't bother to promote the "WORLD FIRST" in that way, a quick google search would reveal that it wasn't actually factually correct.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Robbie said:
Hm, maybe similar to those but SW7 would return you to the station you left from. Does that count as enough of a difference? Maybe not.

RCDB said:
While the track on the Max Adventures Master Thai forms a Möbius loop, the ride is operated differently than a traditional Möbius roller coaster. In the case of the Max Adventures Master Thai, riders simultaneously board on both halves of the Möbius loop, but are dispatched a second time after returning to the station. So one ride on the Max Adventures Master Thai completes the Möbius loop where on a traditional Möbius roller coaster, one ride would complete only half.

You are returned to the same station ;)

NickkyG

Mega Poster

It's replacing Duel and all the trains are equipped with laser guns and the objective is to shoot the other car... I'm sold.

Nic

Strata Poster

I apologise, but I really CBA to wade back through several pages of dross - where was the confirmation that it's actually a "World's First"?

EDIT: Eugh, I just went wading anyway. And, you know what, I found nothing. To be fair, I did only go back a week, but still. All I could find was people still misconstruing the word "unique" for the phrase "world's first". To me, they are not synonyms, so unless the park have actually said "world's first", then why are we expecting one?

Smithy

Strata Poster

Not sure if there was or not (Someone will be along with a solid answer no doubt) but I seem to remember because it was labelled as a SW that might have had something to do with it

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

I think I've said it before, but unless it's a 'true' worlds first, I'd rather them focus on the ride, rather than a gimmick.

deeve15

Roller Poster

I realy have the wrong kind of fear about this Coaster.

Alton Towers recent past : 1994 : Nemesis ( masterpiece)
1996 : Hotel (the start of the problem)
1998 : Oblivion (the last great ride built)
2000 : Hex (no way to see in the new century)
2002 : Air (interesting ride but has problems with theming)
2005 : The black hole removed Rita opened (not a good coaster)
2006 : Charlie (the worst attraction in the park)
2010 : 13 (the biggest dissapointing moment in theme park history)

Since 1996 when Alton Towers decided to become more resort orientated the investment in great rides has fallen. Rita, Charlie and 13 have not set the world on fire. The excuse about height is not valid one. There are plenty of launch coasters that provide enough thrill factor for me.

The prospect of getting some gerstlauer world first worries me. Dont like Eurofighters and Wild mousey type coasters they are far too pleasure beach style. After 2002 its been a downward spiral for Alton Towers. Baring a miracle this looks like it could be another poor decision by Alton Towers. I would be more excited about another Spa or Hotel than a Coaster.

Tomatron

Giga Poster

^ I'm glad you typed all of that, because I really coudn't be bothered, but you're dead right - the point was well and truly missed!

Status
Not open for further replies.