What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Nic said:
I apologise, but I really CBA to wade back through several pages of dross - where was the confirmation that it's actually a "World's First"?

EDIT: Eugh, I just went wading anyway. And, you know what, I found nothing. To be fair, I did only go back a week, but still. All I could find was people still misconstruing the word "unique" for the phrase "world's first". To me, they are not synonyms, so unless the park have actually said "world's first", then why are we expecting one?
Page 79, after the Planning Permission was granted:

ciallkennett said:
Indeed it has.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/n...=1331836663&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1,9,10&

Alton Towers Resort fans today breathed a sigh of relief as Staffordshire Moorlands Council granted planning permission for the world-first rollercoaster opening in 2013 on the site of the Blackhole Tent in X-Sector, despite strong opposition from Alton and Farley Parish Councils.

Construction can now begin for SW7, with the demolition of the Blackhole Tent set to start within the coming months. Construction will be noticeable throughout the 2012 season with much of X-Sector behind construction walls, previously both Submission and Enterprise were going to be closed due to SW7 construction but this decision was reversed last month.

Secret Weapon Seven is set to be the latest in the long line of world class rollercoasters at the Alton Towers Resort. Unlike the previous 'Secret Weapon', Thirteen, SW7 will be a more thrilling white-knuckle experience. SW7 is already advertised on the 2012 Resort Map.

Alton Towers Resort have released the following statement:

Alton Towers Resort is delighted to confirm that their World-first new attraction for 2013 has today been given the go ahead by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council.

The steel rollercoaster will be constructed in the X-Sector area of the Theme Park, replacing the Black Hole which was decommissioned in 2005.

“This is fabulous news for us,” said Mark Kerrigan, Operations and Development Director, “as it means we can now start the development process properly to ensure that this magnificent new addition to our already world-class stable of thrill rides is ready for the start of our 2013 season!

“Continued investment in high quality, innovative new rides and attractions is vital to us if we are to maintain our position as the UK’s leading Resort Theme Park and in turn contribute to the long term economic stability that we bring to the surrounding area.

“This new rollercoaster will continue to diversify the range of attractions available at the Resort, which will enhance our visitor offer even more and ensure we continue to attract visitors. It will also allow us to dedicate funding to Staffordshire Highways and into the important historic gardens and listed buildings.

“We hope that with the introduction of such an amazing new attraction, we will have a truly momentous season next year!”

Brilliant news!

Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I don't entirely agree. I was excited to ride Nemesis because of how much I had seen of it on TV and from friends. My first visit to the park wasn't actually until 1998, 4 years after it opened, by which point I had heard and learned quite a lot about it to know exactly what it did etc. granted it may not have been quite as much information as we have to hand now, it wasn't far off. At the point, in 98 I was incredibly excited to ride Nemesis.

The difference was that 4 years after that, in 2002, I was STILL excited to return to Alton, not for their new attraction (air) but to get back on Nemesis.

When Rita opened, after sometime of me being on CF and the pland being massively debated, I was still excited to ride it. Sadly I ended up very disappointed by the actual ride. That opening day buzz just didn't happen for me.

I won't even get into 13 tbh.

I totally see where UC is coming from, because some people do seem to judge before the things are even finished but My point is, not all of us operate like that, yet still end up with the same opinion. I'm not gonna get into a whole tunnel debate about it, but I don't think the 'we already know everything about it so are not surprised' arguement is always applicable.

I'm lucky and have family_furie to act as an anchor. They're my way to keep grounded in how things should be perceived.

Madame_Furie loves both Rita and 13. I almost never go into that area of the park when I visit (and incredibly rarely bother with either ride), but she will always make the effort for both. She's not concerned about hype, or airtime, or g-forces, or comfort, or how it compares to ride X, Y or Z. She is just concerned with that moment she's on the ride and if she's enjoying herself.

Likewise, I dislike Charlie, but Maxi-Minor_Furie loves it. It's aimed at the under 7's, he's under 7 and it works. We know it's not as brilliant as something Disney or another company could produce, but kids have a completely different perspective to us. They may really notice on thing they love and want it repeated. It may be the squirrels, or the lift, or some part that makes the entire ride worth re-riding for them. They notice and love small parts but miss every detail. Maxi-Minor_Furie loves the pirate adventure at DMP for instance simply because of the scene with the shark chasing the man. The rest of the ride he just sits through in excitement waiting for that, then finishes the ride going off the buzz of seeing it.

Now, to be fair, Disney know how to create an attraction that can span age ranges, but they have almost unlimited budgets, sources and space to do it.

Point is, Family_Furie love the new attractions people slate, and they're representative of the GP. On another note, I also adore Hex, which I think is one of the best, well rounded/complete attractions in the country. Anyone complaining about Alton losing quality and then bitching about Hex is simply wrong in everything they say. It's an exceptionally high quality product, and they're utterly missing something somewhere.

I don't think Alton is perfect, and there has been a very "hit and hope" attitude over the years, just kind of chucking attractions in. Some have been ill thought out, others badly marketed, but Alton still remains a popular place with the public - they're doing something right... We'll just ignore Sub-Terra for the moment ;)

As for this ride, I've already said I don't care so much about the ride itself, it is what it is. It's a good addition to the line-up, and one that's required. It may not be what enthusiasts want, but it's what's needed.

The word to describe this is "aberystwyth"

ABERYSTWYTH (n.)

A nostalgic yearning which is in itself more pleasant than the thing
being yearned for.

^^ I agree with you.

I remember when i was a 'GP' and visited Disneyland Paris and was amazed by the rides and size of the park.
Then, i became an enthusiast. Learned how the rides work, how it all where put together. And got very disappointed. It automatically stopped being that 'magical' and amazing place.
Don't get me wrong, i still like Disneyland Paris very much, but it just isn't the same.

Now, when that is said, there's a lot of good things about being an enthusiast and know lots of stuff about the parks and rides.

^ See thats just it. I go to a Disney park and despite knowing how it all works, even to the point of having a back stage tour, I still find it totally magical and amazing. As much as I enjoy knowing all the behind the scenes stuff I honestly don't think it spoils my enjoyment of the end product... I think that is partly because everytime I visit I take away something new, new experiences and memories. That same feeling of awe and wonderment. I'd go so far as to say that I actually adore the Disney parks the more I visit them.

I used to feel the same about Alton, but in recent years I have found that I don't come away having that feeling of awe or wonderment. I don't feel like I come away with anything other than dissapointment. Of course, comparing Disney and Alton in that way is ridiculous because there is a whole world of difference. I'm just saying that for me, Alton hasn't got the magic it used to and I can't personally put that down to an over-saturation of information because if that was the case then surely, I would feel the same about theme parks as a general rule and I don't.

Anyways, back to Altons new coaster... Has ground work actually started yet?

UC said:
Over the years, the parks naturally changed, new attractions put in, older ones taken out, and I always felt like the "quality" had degraded - but as I grew a bit more and began to appreciate it, I realized this was mental more than it was an actual degradation in intent by Disney. After all, they're a business, and they make decisions that they feel are best for their business. So when I go to the Disney parks now, I look around and see how much people love the new rides that were put in - and I begin to think about how, to those kids, this is their Disney, the one they'll romanticize.

I think this is bang on. I've kind of felt the same about Alton Towers recently, though I'll admit I haven't been visiting that long. I'd say since the back end of 2007 I've visited almost religiously, which only died down near the end of last year when I started university. For me, it's never been the same since Corkscrew went. I don't know what, but the overall atmosphere of the park just doesn't seem as good. Despite this, I still get ridiculously excited about new attractions. Take Sharkbait Reef for example. It's nothing special but I was there on opening day and couldn't wait to take a look at it just because it was a new ride at Alton Towers. I remember how much I looked forward to riding Thirteen - evenly though I knew almost everything about it and knew it wasn't going to be world-beating.

However, I don't seem to share the same excitement for Sub-Terra. I have still to ride it and plan to do so in the next couple of weeks but I don't have this cannot-wait-to-ride feeling. Ironically I put it down as the total opposite to UC's argument. I do agree that following a ride's construction and knowing every little detail about it can spoil it in some cases and seriously lower expectations, but with Sub-Terra I haven't had the time to follow it at all. One may say the negative reviews would force an opinion on me subsconciously but I don't think that's the case. Learning more and more about the ride can build the excitement in my opinion, but not all the time. I still feel the magic when I go to Alton and nothing can beat spending the day there for me. However, I can't help feeling things will never be as good as they were...

Mark said:

Not a high-vis to be seen anywhere last weekend. So no.

Didnt they say construction would start in September in the planning permissions?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Yes, but they need to clear the ground first. The old tent should be coming down any day/week now.

Will be weird the tent not being there.

I still can't help but feel this might all look a tad cramped? Like it'll be Spinball - new thing - X-Sector all crammed together. I hope they make it look good. And leave the bloody shipping containers out of it!

Robbie said:
Blah blah blah

Alton Towers Resort have released the following statement:

blah blah World-first blah blah

Exactly what I was after! Thank you Robbie! :)

I'll stop banging on about symantics and go back to getting ready to be utterly disappointed by a silly gimick ;)

nadroJ said:
Will be weird the tent not being there.

I still can't help but feel this might all look a tad cramped? Like it'll be Spinball - new thing - X-Sector all crammed together. I hope they make it look good. And leave the bloody shipping containers out of it!

I know right? The loss of the tent will be sad for me, The Black Hole was my first cred, and the fact the tent has been sitting there for good knows how long empty, that was sort of the last contact I had with the ride. Now its all gone. Anyway enough of my crying, yeah it could look quite cramped , but I have hope it will come out alright.
Come on Jordan, you and I both know there will be shipping containers present, the whole station is going to be a large shipping container. :D

Yes, a few tree's have gone, and there's some skips in the woods and other odds and sods. They've also removed the fencing around the tent, so you can walk right up to it (unless that happened last year).

Some interesting points UC. A good coaster is a good coaster whatever the era or design for me. The thing with Alton Towers is there decision making especialy in the last 10 years has been poor. Rita,Charlie,Spinball, and 13 are just not good enough. I dont like Gestlauer coasters at all. I have been visiting Alton Towers since 1990 and has seen a lot of changes in 22 years. There are so many good attractions and imagineers out there why dont they get the best in.

It's all Subject to Opinion. It's that simple. Some people are gonna hate this coaster mainly for the fact that it's a Gerstlauer, which is a pathetic excuse not to go in with an open mind.

Look at it the other way.

How many people will think that and then not be let down and might actually like it.

I always go in with an open mind and like to form my own views.

People said raptor was rubbish I liked it. People said rip rocket was bad I really liked it and did not find it rough. A number of people said swarm was going to be rubbish and they changed their minds after riding it.

With this I have a very open mind. People are allowed their views there is far to much of people getting slated for their views on here at the moment.

I am waiting to find out what it will be like as said above, and I won't know this until I ride it:)

What I don't like is being told I should not like something if I do like it etc.

I happen to really like the launched coasters they do and the trains don't bash my head and legs so I hope they get them trains.

Yes people will say they don't like it before the ride it simply due to the bad experiences they have had, but people are entitled to say that. Then if they ride it they might change their mind. Sometimes it's better to think you won't like it than build it up to be let down like I was with 13 a coaster I was looking forward to even with all the Merlin rubbish.

People do defend their views but still get told they are wrong as their views are not the same as the other persons. It just goes round in one huge circle.

This is not aimed at anyone btw it just seems to be happening at the moment.

^ No, I'm totally with you with the whole "Because I don't like this coaster, you can't like it either" that happens on this site a LOT - Baco, prime example. I really enjoy it, most people detest it, that's just an example.

It never used to happen buy now it is and I hope it stops.

Better get back on topic now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.