What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

UC I agree with you and it's not you doing it. Tbh I would always expect a reply when people post things, at least you read the posts.

I just wanted to say something as its happened to me and others and we give reasons about how we feel etc yet get told "your wrong" and their reason is "I enjoy them". I had to repeat myself 5 times why I did not like a park even though I gave reasons.

People are not happy this is a gler due to what they experienced with the ones they have been on. Me personally I dislike eurofighters due to the trains, which I've expressed so I'm
Praying they use different ones that's all. We've also been told by park works at Thorpe that saw is no longer as popular as it was. Green Thing at AI is more popular than Rage when a survey was done at the park.

Anyway :)

Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Just a note the planning documents have changed.

Nic posted this before.

The Noise Report said:
Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.

It now says:

Atkins has undertaken a noise assesment of the proposed rollerocoaster based on a similar ride, SAW, located at Thorpe Park. Readings undertaken in Nov 2011.

Also the word "manufacturer" has been removed. The word vertical drop has also gone.

This is all in the cover letter part of the planning.

I am not saying this means anything just find it strange these details were changed, I cannot find what date this was changed. I am sure I have read through the same document everyone was saying had faults in.

Very interesting and well observed!

Something I've noticed on the park map. Probably got nothing to do with this but the artwork for Oblivion makes it look a lot like a Eurofighter. Similar track, same cars.

But why change it if it's not important?

I still think it's Gerst personally, but changing it must mean SOMETHING?

Perhaps they thought they were revealing more than necessary, but it seems a bit late to backtrack now.

Who knows!

Maybe they're hiding something so the public, and enthusiasts, have no idea whats coming. Perhaps they've leant how to ACTUALLY keep secrets, after the Thirteen incident...

UC said:
^Yeah, because it said the ride had a vertical drop.

They just took the entire line out, and left it at "similar to Saw."

Good point. I didn't think of that. But, it clearly didn't bother them before that this ride never had a vertical drop. I'm not trying to pick holes, and find some hidden clue, because I don't think it's that. It just seems a little odd that they've changed it now, when before (the past, what? 2 months we've had the original document) it didn't seem to matter that this ride didn't have a vertical drop, yet they said it's the same as S:TR.

They edited it because it was wrong.

This ride doesn't seem to have a beyond vertical drop and it really doesn't seem to be a Eurofighter.

It still could or may not be Gerstlaurer. It's (unfortunately) likely that it is, though.

Still, the point is, there was a mistake on it.

Maybe someone important and official picked up on the error, so it needed to be changed because it caused confusion they didn't predict? Who knows. It doesn't really matter because it tells us nothing. I'd love to think they are trying to trick us, or throw us off, but I doubt it. That would be amazing though.

Joey said:
It still could or may not be Gerstlaurer. It's (unfortunately) likely that it is, though.

Just out of interest, Joey, have you been on any of their stuff othe than the Eurofighters? I only ask because both Lynet and Anubis were enromously fun, re-rideable rides and I think they stand as proof enough that Gerst are actually capable of amking good things as opposed to rough horrible things! =]. I'd be quite looking forwards to the thing if it were a similar contraption to those two.

It's so strange though that they can have two different kinds of coaster (both of which are actually quite similar when you look at them) and one can ride so well and the other be so vile!

Joey said:
Maybe someone important and official picked up on the error, so it needed to be changed because it caused confusion they didn't predict? Who knows.

Clearly it caused confusion, just look at this thread!

But, I doubt they care much about us being confused. I'd be interested to know where the confusion was, and why they felt they needed to change it now, after it being in the public domain for so long.

I went on the local council website, the link that's on cf.

I know it states no where a revision was made, it's in the document submitted in December 2011.

That's why when I read it I found it strange that it had been changed. Unless I am reading a different document to what others read. I got the information from the cover letter under the noise section.

Which is why I said in my 1st post have I read the same as everyone else. I did say it was from the cover letter.

Still rather strange 2 documents have different statements, but I guess that's how it's done.

Sorry if I caused any confusion glad you checked.

As I said I got confused and read the wrong one.

Glad you cleared it up.

nadroJ said:
Joey said:

Just out of interest, Joey, have you been on any of their stuff othe than the Eurofighters? I only ask because both Lynet and Anubis were enromously fun, re-rideable rides and I think they stand as proof enough that Gerst are actually capable of amking good things as opposed to rough horrible things! =]. I'd be quite looking forwards to the thing if it were a similar contraption to those two.

It's so strange though that they can have two different kinds of coaster (both of which are actually quite similar when you look at them) and one can ride so well and the other be so vile!
Gerstlaurers problem is the lack of consistency. Not just from ride to ride, or type to type, but hour to hour, day to day. I've not done Lynet or Anubis, no, but reviews are very mixed... And that suggests they are as prone to variation as the Eurofighters. It's only through Saw after all, a EF at a park with which a large number of enthusiasts call home, that the overall opinion of them dropped.

My guess is that the trains on their launchers and the train seen on Dare Devil Dive improve the problems with them, because two cars so close together as seen on the standard 8-seater EF cars is just a disaster of shuddering, preventing the train from manoeuvring smoothly. But I still do not believe that it'll make enough difference to create a really solid ride, with reridability that is good from 9am to 6pm every day from March to October.

Lapbars will make a world of difference in preventing discomfort if they happen, but they can't help make the ride any better.

I predict that SW7 will open to good reviews, and then month by month people will come to realise it's pretty poor, but the majority of guests are going to love it because they will only ride it once a year. But we shall see, and maybe I'll eat those words, because you can bet someone will remember them just in case. ;P

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but -

www.altontowers.com/2013

Nothing there yet, apart from a form to sign up for email updates. There's also a banner on site in the same style, with the web address on. I'll let someone else post a pic of it.

You mean my picture? :p

578636_10151498340350220_558160219_23541294_688389958_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.