What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Joey said:
And the only reason I really don't think it will be Gerst? Cuz UC does, and he's got a track record of getting it wrong. ;P

This.

Wow, groundhog day already :lol:

This topic will hit 500 pages, if only because the same stupid argument keeps getting recycled.

Alton is building a new coaster. We won't know for certain ANYTHING before they want us to know it.

I imagine that Merlin would have told whichever company they hired to compile report to measure Saw specifically. I don't think they would have just picked a coaster at random.

^ You say that, but with Thirteen, they used X:/NWO as a matching coaster.

How about we agree this...

If you have evidence of it being anything other than Gerstlauer, then post it and we'll look at it. However, no speculation/flights of fantasy.

That should stop the rinse and repeat of this argument.

I think everyone should keep a copy of this post to quote in the future :)

Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

As much as I don't want it to be, I think this is gonna be a Gerstlauer. :-(

A couple of the Thorpe managers yesterday certainly thought so... I know that's not any kind of confirmation but it's another finger pointing in the Gerstlauer direction.

I know it probably will be something completely different, but if it is Gerstlauer I really hope they use the graduated, pyramid style cars as opposed to the standard EuroFighter cars. I found the other style of car SO much more comfortable and you get a great view from any seat! Plus, if this is going in X-Sector I think this style of car looks more futuristic and could easily be themed to a rocket or similar, as opposed to the uninspired box style car.

The only problem I have with their coasters is they all ride the same no matter what model it is. All the inversions feel the same, all the corners feel the same.

I hate eurofighter trains as they are as Jordan says not pleasant.

I was hoping this was not going to be made by them but it looks to be the case.

It does not matter if it has 3 or 8 inversions for me they make cheap coasters that are trying to keep up with the big boys but fail every time, and after a few years are so rough no one wants to ride them.

Shame as Alton had a great opportunity and it looks as yet again come up short :(

As I said before I dont give a **** about the worlds 1st, look at 13 which other parks have gone to Intamin for another drop coaster? None.

marc said:
It does not matter if it has 3 or 8 inversions for me they make cheap coasters that are trying to keep up with the big boys but fail every time, and after a few years are so rough no one wants to ride them.
Really? I've heard nothing but good things about Fluch Von Novgorod!!

The only problem I have with their coasters is they all ride the same no matter what model it is. All the inversions feel the same, all the corners feel the same.

Really? I find Saw and Speed horrid, but I like Rage and I LOVE Anubis. Anubis is like, perfect!

It's my view on them, you have your views we don't have to agree do we? Getting a tad fed up with having to justify my reasons all the time.

I'm glad you like them does not mean I have to does it?

I don't like speed, I don't like Saw rage is as rough as hell and flunch was ok but nothing great. What makes flunch is the theming and the launch which add to it, but the corners etc feel the same as the rest.

I liked the one at plopsaland and the park in Denmark but going by the plans that's not what they are getting.

To be honest, I hope they've learnt from their mistakes with Saw and will make something much better this time around...and I doubt this'll be a eurofighter because what else can one really do with that model?

Regardless of the model, the plans look superb and even if it is a eurofighter, it'll be huge fun the first time around and painful for enternity!

I still don't care. I dislike Eurofighters (I've done all the UK ones), and chances are I'll also dislike this.

The main point is that it's an important coaster. 8 inversions at Alton Towers? Like that was ever going to happen. It's in a relatively small space and there's no way they could ever fit in a high inversion count B&M or Intamin.

It's also a "classic coaster" in that it doesn't need a world's first gimmick (though it's getting one :roll: ) to be seen as a good ride by the paying public. "It's got 8 loops!!!!!", it's exciting and it's at Alton.

I do think the UK needs more "good" coasters (solid rides like the Nemesis siblings, Megafobia and Swarm), but the public lap up Colossus and Saw, they adore Rita and Air. Sometimes we strike lucky and get an unexpected decent ride (and there are enthusiasts who also love the aforementioned four coasters), but mostly it's about what works for the park and getting people in. SW7 is such a vast improvement over 13. That was all gimmick and high hopes, this is low hopes on no gimmick - but it makes for a better potential.

I can't quite get what I mean across properly. It's not as simple as "enthusiasts are too picky", or "the park needs to supply to their public", it's more esoteric than that. It's a buzz about what they've managed to do at a park with so many restrictions, in an area long thought of as dead to development. It's the idea that's good, the plan, the holistic inventiveness that's gone into this design. It's hard to explain how what is going to be a (probably) unpleasant ride is so important and exciting. :lol:

furie said:
It's the idea that's good, the plan, the holistic inventiveness that's gone into this design. It's hard to explain how what is going to be a (probably) unpleasant ride is so important and exciting. :lol:

I get what your saying, a compact 8 inversion roller coaster on a site previously thought to small to develop is a win. But if after a few seasons it's too rough, or if in fact it's just unpleasant from the get go then it's a big fail and a big waste of money.

Personally I kinda dig SAW (the only Eurofighter I've been on) but I was hoping for something a bit more special after the colossal joke that was Thirteen. I mean will Alton EVER get another B&M?!!

Anyway re: SW7 I think they should make it totally indoors, that would make it way more exciting.

Coaster-Fiend said:
furie said:
It's the idea that's good, the plan, the holistic inventiveness that's gone into this design. It's hard to explain how what is going to be a (probably) unpleasant ride is so important and exciting. :lol:

I get what your saying, a compact 8 inversion roller coaster on a site previously thought to small to develop is a win. But if after a few seasons it's too rough, or if in fact it's just unpleasant from the get go then it's a big fail and a big waste of money.
Not necessarily, yes, to us Enthusiasts it will seems big waste of money, but to the General public, it will still be an amazing coaster, that's just fact, they'll flock to it, you just wait and see...

Am I the only one who is actually excited to hear it's a Gerstlauer? Sure it's not a beautiful new elegant B&M, but I love what Gerstlauer have done with these recently (Fluch, Dare Devil Dive, Takabisha), they all look like great rollercoasters and I'd love any one of those to be at Alton Towers. I'm hoping it's the new style (like DDD), I reckon 90% it will be (the shaping on the plans looks more like DDD), and I hope they theme it as well as the likes of Fluch.

If this happens, I think it will definately be a hit with the public, enthusiasts maybe left surprised/disappointed, who knows? Seems promising to me, probably the best project to come out of the park since AIR.

Am I the only one who is actually excited to hear it's a Gerstlauer?

Unless you've heard something else, we dont actually know its Gerstlauer yet.

^I'm pretty sure this will be Gerstlauer, but you can all keep dreaming of an Intamin Blitz! :p

Kebab said:
^I'm pretty sure this will be Gerstlauer, but you can all keep dreaming of an Intamin Blitz! :p
IT'S CALLED A POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE, STOP MOCKING US FOR IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.