What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

From what I gather, people are literally slitting their wrists because they thought this pit:

4.jpg

Was for the indoor section, but now it appears to be for the bottom of the outdoor section (cobra roll/batwing thing).

Well... PART of that pit is clearly for the indoor section, as it's obvious there's gonna be a left hand dive into it out of the station into that gap...

I think it's more that people won't stop arguing about whether or not it'll be finished on time... Such boring construction really...

I am now pretty certain that SW7 is running behind schedule, as Alton Towers have removed the countdown to opening day clock from the SW7 Mini-Site, and replaced it with the a little picture, "It's Coming" picture that Towers sent out on 20th December and construction hasn't progressed much since then. Now time to put this in retrospective with Saw The Ride at Thorpe Park which was already in the starting testing phase of construction, which this coaster is no where near close to.
(Original planned opening date: 16th March 2013)

What I find strange about this construction is the lack of lift hill pieces! Usually it's the first pieces we see arrive and constructed and considering this coaster has 2 lift hills..where are they?

All the track appears to be twisty. Strange aye!?

You cant really compare any coaster project to another. They will all have different schedules/timelines.

^ I'm aware of that, I've watched coaster construction every year for over 10 years. Every project is different and I expect the reason we're seeing this element first is due to it's complexity and it may need to be finished to allow the station to be built.

I'm just pointing out how strange it is that there's no sign of a lift hill. As different as every coaster is, there's usually at least one track piece that looks like a lift by this stage! I'm intrigued as to what kind of lift they'll be using too, as we've speculated a lot about about that. Also will there be a difference in mechanism between the first and second lifts? Just something to ponder while we wait for things to happen.

Another thing to consider is what will happen pre-lift/pre-station ( as we're not entirely sure whether that small drop from the straight is really a drop or a final corner into the station?). I can always count on Alton on making an exciting project to follow. As much as I found The Swarm incredibly exciting to go up, I knew exactly what that ride was gonna do!

Martyn B said:
You cant really compare any coaster project to another. They will all have different schedules/timelines.
True, but when they are owned by the same company, and are based on the same design by the same manufacture you would normally expect similarities in construction period. If my memory serves me correct both Swarm and Raptor had similar start and finish times.

^ But the sheer amount of groundwork and landscaping this has had compared to Saw (I'm guessing you're comparing the two?) is staggering. I know people are going to chat about the island being made etc, but I mean in terms of during near enough the same period of construction as the coaster & terrain, not just either at different times.

Lofty said:
^ But the sheer amount of groundwork and landscaping this has had compared to Saw (I'm guessing you're comparing the two?) is staggering. I know people are going to chat about the island being made etc, but I mean in terms of during near enough the same period of construction as the coaster & terrain, not just either at different times.

This is true but looking at the track they are comparable. As there is so much more landscaping in sw7 compared to saw, surely they should have started much earlier.

Time will only tell I guess as to how far behind they are

Apparently the reason why construction of the track is at a stop is because Gerst want to be on site when it's being put up. And because Gerst have not been on site for quite a while, builders are focusing on the station building.

Apparently.

I think this coaster might be behind schedule.

Is it normal for an Alton Towers coaster to have almost 200 pages of discussion before the ride is even announced yet?

This very well may have overtaken Maverick's Construction Discussion in page count. That was a long two and a half years of discussion.

BBH said:
Is it normal for an Alton Towers coaster to have almost 200 pages of discussion before the ride is even announced yet?

13 was 202 in the end
Swarm had 245

Go figure ;)

So what was the lowest amount of construction pages?

I also saw an extremely unlikely rumour on TT that SW7 will open in 2014 and the rest of X-Sector will be closed throughout 2013.

^ Lowest amount of construction pages is probably for some kiddie cred at some obscure European park.

Gerstlauer are renowned for their speedy construction and German efficency.

I'm no expect on construction but I'd imagine when a manufacturer builds a ride, they allow a few weeks for any hiccups in the build schedule.

Alton Towers have heavily indicated that the ride will be open in 2013.

I don't think there's any truth in that TT rumour but let's have another six pages discussing it anyway.

That TT rumour was a joke. Many people had edited photos of the countdown saying, "Coming in 2014" as a piss-take and that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.