What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Will

Strata Poster
We know this coaster type isn't fond of the cold - I had a very disappointing run on Mamba this time two years ago.

Back on topic - this is quite exciting. I'm somewhat bemused that this is apparently newsworthy, but staying up to watch the footage on local news like the goon that I am :D

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm not sure how fast people expect this to be going considering these are early test runs in one of the coldest months of the year.

I don't think there's going to be much difference to speed once this has worn in a little and the weather picks up.
We know this coaster type isn't fond of the cold - I had a very disappointing run on Mamba this time two years ago.

Back on topic - this is quite exciting. I'm somewhat bemused that this is apparently newsworthy, but staying up to watch the footage on local news like the goon that I am :D

Yeh, I think we were all having a bit of a slow moment this morning (pun intended.) It's bloody freezing out, it's a wonder it runs at all... Can't judge speed under these conditions at all.

Are they planning on installing wheel heaters for the ride? Or are these just not used on B&M inverts.
Good question. They'd have to get creative with where they put them though given the large wheel covers.

No... The park closes from the Beginning of November until the middle / end of March, (with the exception of a few small events that don't include the big coasters.) So no need.

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
Can I just say how brilliant it is to see Nemesis up and running! Did I expect to hear it roar like it did in the testing footage, no. Am I pleasantly surprised, yes! I expected Nemesis to run slow on its first runs, just like any other coaster, she has not bedded in yet but have no doubt this is all gunna come in fruition beautifully.

As much as I am an Inferno lover (as the name quite clearly states), I am very happy to see our other B&M Invert come back.

Also I love the mix of the old & newer gen train design!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If you are in the UK, and have a TV license, and can click on this link in the next 24h, then 22-and-a-bit minutes into tonight's Midlands Today they were at the first test run - not a lot new there, but worth the 5 mins of your time;

Good report to be fair, paid the coaster the respect it deserves, and confirmed once again that the trains are indeed new. :)

Is it just me or did some of the team genuinely look emotional in that first shot of them?

Somebody needs to screen record that before it's gone. I don't have time sadly, I have work.

spicy

Giga Poster
I genuinely thought the loop part was slowed down intentionally when I first watched it but as others have said nothing to be concerned about it’s the first run in freezing conditions.

Plus we can all be pleasantly surprised now when it runs through it at normal speed.

As much as the nostalgia in me misses the old colours I do love the new look and think it’s coming together really nicely.

I also have to remember and not take it for granted that it’s great this has even happened and Nemesis will live on.

There was definitely a period of time where Merlin wouldn’t have put this much investment into an existing coaster and may have just ripped it out and replaced it with something else.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I genuinely thought the loop part was slowed down intentionally when I first watched it but as others have said nothing to be concerned about it’s the first run in freezing conditions.

Plus we can all be pleasantly surprised now when it runs through it at normal speed.

As much as the nostalgia in me misses the old colours I do love the new look and think it’s coming together really nicely.

I also have to remember and not take it for granted that it’s great this has even happened and Nemesis will live on.

There was definitely a period of time where Merlin wouldn’t have put this much investment into an existing coaster and may have just ripped it out and replaced it with something else.
I think that fact is going to hit some in the feels on opening day... Is it silly to be a little emotional over a rollercoaster?

emoo

Hyper Poster
I mean for Saturday this should be standard (especially as one is the Easter weekend) and not a special treat. But I am instantly more interested than going than the wft Merlin discourse.

FogZog

Mega Poster
I mean for Saturday this should be standard (especially as one is the Easter weekend) and not a special treat. But I am instantly more interested than going than the wft Merlin discourse.
Very true! When I saw it was only for 3 days its like… cool but whats the point

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This's great, but I think the "After Dark" concept should be until 10-11 pm, right? Even so, it's always a good initiative to extend the park's hours. 😊
surely sunset time in the UK in the summer is not very much before 8pm lol

Sunset times around here are between 6 and 6:30 for the month of March... So no, this is very much after dark.

It's not a Merlin thing, or even an AT thing, it's a Europe thing. What other European parks are open late regularly, other than events? Liseberg maybe? Even they shut at 5 and 6 on my visits. Efteling was an absolute joke, 6pm close, and the park was heaving. It really wasn't enjoyable trying to get around, I basically got the creds, and Symbolica, that was it, no time for anything else.

Only time I've ever got late park openings in Europe are for Halloween, Fireworks or Christmas, and that includes most of Europe's big players... I 'got' peoples moans when times were changed to 4pm, even at weekends and in summer months, after 'the incident.' That was pretty damn poor. But they've been back at 4pm - 7pm, depending on demand, for years now, and sadly, that's perfectly normal in Europe.

It's not closing times we need to worry about with Alton Towers, it's ride availability. I've never gone to the park on a 4pm or 5pm close and failed to get around everything that's open, including rerides on the better rides. They're 4pm / 5pm for a reason, because the park is empty*. However, ride availability has screwed me on several occasions.

*Should be noted, if the park turns out to be busier than expected, they can and do extend the hours on the day, I've experienced this several times.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
More footage of testing being carried out today. Both trains are testing too!

Also, something else to add....at around the 2:14 mark, you'll notice it's getting around that loop a bit faster now (more like the speed that the original used to).