What's new

60m Drop Tower for Pleasurewood Hills

Martyn B

CF Legend
Pleasurewood Hills have applied for planning permission for a 60m Drop Tower!

http://publicaccess.waveney.gov.uk/PASy ... BTHQX3N000

http://anitepublicaccess.waveney.gov.uk ... 078792.pdf

‘The ride’s passengers sit in a circular car which is spread around a central column. The car is hoisted up to the top the column and then released to give passengers what the manufacturers describe as “an unforgettable experience of real free fall”. The tower itself is just over 60m high, although the total drop height is 50m. The drop is broken by permanent magnetic brakes and deceleration ramps at the bottom end of the column, which have been designed to be safe and smooth and which meet the requirements of the European Health Authority. The total operational footprint area of the ride is 10m x 10m. The circular car can accommodate 24 passengers. The ride will have a lilac/purple colour scheme.

‘Almost 30 theme parks have closed in the UK in the last 10 years, and it is essential that Pleasurewood Hills continues to invest to ensure that the business remains viable and sustainable long-term. Pleasurewood Hills is the most visited tourist attraction in the area with over 200,000 visitors per year. The park generates over £19m into the local economy, both directly and indirectly. The introduction of the Wipeout ride in 2007 had a significant beneficial impact on the park’s viability, and it halted a year-on-year decline. Wipeout changed the fortunes of the park, and as it is now four years since the introduction of this ride, the park’s management considers it essential that another major new ride is installed.

tower.jpg

Well I certainly have my fingers crossed, though it sounds like they've done their homework with this as they carried out a study at Drayton Manor to record the noise levels generated from Apocolypse, and apparently the noise generated from this will stay under the 50db limit the park has.

Re: 60m Drop Tower for Pleasurewood Hills...

Sounding good. This confirms for my dad that this place is still open. :--D

Wow, really cool news for the park. I hope the planning permission gets the go ahead and that they get this. I feel its much needed at Pleasurewood and it will be great for the UK.

Just had a read through the documents and it seems good.

Living near this park I can definitely say it needs something of this caliber to attract more people. I know for one I would visit if this goes ahead.

However looking at the comparison pictures of the parks skyline from several different points outside it does seem to stick out like a sore thumb. And being purple doesn't hide it much :p

After a quick read I didn't spot what manufacturer this would be from. What do people reckon? I would have a guessede that it would be some sort of Intamin gyro drop. A floorless tilting gyro might attract even more crowds!

Really do have fingers crossed that this goes ahead.

Really good news for the park and good news for us that they are still interested in investing in thrill rides! I reallt hope they get planning permission, might give the park that little extra draw they need.

This is greta news, let's hope this project ca go forwards. I love any kind of drop tower, so I'd be certainly happy to go back to the park for it!

When I read through the plans last night, they mentioned "off the shelf Gravity Tower" and a quick Google search confirmed that.

Yeah good point. I didn't really use the pictures for the assumption.

When I read through the plans last night, they mentioned "off the shelf Gravity Tower" and a quick Google search confirmed that.

I cant remember seeing that... I can remember seeing 'off the peg' mentioned a few times?

This is fantastic news. Pleasurewood Hills need something like this to put them on the map. I'm local to PWH and most people see it as a kids park with very few rides. This will certainly help to transform that image.

Well the park will still have very few rides, this ain't going to fix everything, though it will help. And it shows the new owners do mean business. They could have gone for the much cheaper option of a travelling Drop Zone, but no. So hopefully this will mean the park is going to have a bright future.

Though I still think it would be a good idea, as a quick fix, to bring in 2 or 3 smaller travelling rides to help fill the park up a bit, then over time they can be replaced etc.

Isn't this the same park that can only operate their boomerang once every 3 hours or something ridiculous because of noise complaints from locals, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

If that's the case, I can't see these same locals allowing a 230ft purple tower to be built without kicking up a slight fuss.

I'd laugh if the shaft was lilac and the end purple...

gavin said:
Isn't this the same park that can only operate their boomerang once every 3 hours or something ridiculous because of noise complaints from locals, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

If that's the case, I can't see these same locals allowing a 230ft purple tower to be built without kicking up a slight fuss.

Yes that's the one. I must say that local opposition to the plans does worry me but hopefully they'll be able to push it through [-o<

It worries me too, but they've done their homework with this, and the noise levels are predicted to fall well below the limit for the park. And the people that moan about Wipeout wouldn't be able to see it anyway, no doubt they'll still have a moan though, just for the sake of it.

I dont know if they're jumping the gun, or if they've been tipped off by the Council that the application will be successful, but these pictures were posted on the parks official Twitter page a couple of weeks ago:

58qho.jpg

ll0zb.jpg

cm0zp.jpg

scaled.php

Which is the proposed site for the Drop Tower...

I wouldn't imagine that's where the ride will be as it seems a bit close to Enigma. Looking at it though that would be an ideal place for the queueline.

From looking at the plans, its would to sit exactly where Thunderstruck is...

cm0zp.jpg

So I'd imagine this cleared area could be for the entrance and maybe a cattle pen queue, OR the exit, with seating area and shop etc...

Is there an ORP for this type of ride? I know the Intamin model does but I can't see whether this one will be able to.