vaugc002

Mega Poster
Hear's some of mine:
  • Infusion is the best SLC in the UK
  • Infusion is better than Black Mamba
  • Nemesis Inferno is better than Black Mamba
  • Icon is better than Taron
  • Lost Gravity is better than Icon
  • El Condor is better (By that I mean less painful/uncomfortable) than Hero and Smiler
  • Grand National is the best BPB Woodie and is better than Wicker Man
  • Nemesis is the only AT Coaster that makes my UK top 10
Nemesis Inferno is better than Black Mamba?...
You obviously haven't been on the front row of Black Mamba otherwise you wouldn't make such a scandalous comment ;)

Alex B

Mega Poster
Got a few more from the US.
  • Millennium Force is good but i wouldn't say its top ten in the world. The ride is heavily overated IMO.
  • Valravn is worse than Oblivion and worse than Corkscrew. I rank it only #13 in the park! The god awful restraints and persistent rattle ruined it for me.
  • S&S Freespins are great, every ride is different to another which makes each ride on one interesting! Sure some cycles can be pretty brutal but i enjoyed it.
  • Rougarou is fun! Second best B&M at Cedar Point IMO.
  • Corkscrew is a complete classic coaster. Pretty to look at, enjoyable to ride, fun airtime moment.
  • Red Force is soooo rough. Riding Dragster really opened my eyes on just how rough Red Force's launch is! The launch on Dragster and Stealth are so much more enjoyable than the rattly launch of Red Force (which is a much newer coaster!)
  • I prefer a freespin over Raging Bull.
Here's a non US opinion that i think is fairly controversial.
  • I dislike Portaventura with a passion- the operations are crap, staff are rude, guests are rude, queues are unbearable, and its just a park that i cannot enjoy whatsoever. If i ever visited again it would be for creds, i wouldn't stay for anything bar new creds and Shambhala.
I agree that corkscrew isn’t super bad, it’s very nice to look at and not super painful, however I hated rougarou with a passion it is headbang city with 1 train ops on a Saturday and is prolly at this point my least favorite b&m in general... I will disagree with valravn tho I see where your coming from, I hate b&m vest restraints too but I thought the track was smooth it was just B&m aka boring and mild

Alex B

Mega Poster
Hear's some of mine:
  • Infusion is the best SLC in the UK
  • Infusion is better than Black Mamba
  • Nemesis Inferno is better than Black Mamba
  • Icon is better than Taron
  • Lost Gravity is better than Icon
  • El Condor is better (By that I mean less painful/uncomfortable) than Hero and Smiler
  • Grand National is the best BPB Woodie and is better than Wicker Man
  • Nemesis is the only AT Coaster that makes my UK top 10
Are we gonna ignore the fact he has a vekoma slc over a top tier invert?

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Wow @Expedition Coaster! Some of those really are uncommon, and I'd be intrigued to know why you think some of them! In particular:
  • What makes you prefer Icon to Taron?
  • How come no AT coasters besides Nemesis make your UK top 10?
  • What makes you prefer El Condor to The Smiler?
Of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and the phrase "each to their own" comes to mind, but I was merely interested as to why you have some of your opinions.

Now, about time I gave some of my own, and I've actually thought of some properly uncommon ones:
  • Wing Coasters are one of my favourite B&M models; probably 2nd to the Hyper Coaster.
  • The Swarm is my favourite Thorpe Park coaster, and I personally feel it's almost on par with Nemesis.
  • Stealth is not in my UK top 5.
  • I prefer Thirteen to Expedition Everest.
  • I prefer Galactica to Manta (at SeaWorld Orlando).
  • Nickelodeon Streak is my 2nd favourite coaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach behind Icon.
  • I prefer Gringotts to Forbidden Journey, and I'd probably say I prefer Spider-Man to both of those.
  • Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios is my favourite drop tower.
  • I preferred Treetops to Speed at Oakwood.
  • Flight of Passage, while a very good ride, was somewhat underwhelming for me and isn't in either my top 3 WDW rides or my top 3 dar
Nemesis Inferno is better than Black Mamba?...
You obviously haven't been on the front row of Black Mamba otherwise you wouldn't make such a scandalous comment ;)

View attachment 5603
1. I prefer Icon as Taron doesn't do much for me besides the launches and one moment of floater airtime. In addition, the poorly designed seat makes some of the transitions very uncomfortable.

2. Outside of Nemesis, the AT Coasters either aren't as thrilling as other UK Coasters or not very fun to ride for me (Smiler and Galactica)

3. I didn't find Condor nearly as painful as the Smiler (Though I have got used to SLC restraints).

4. I didn't ride Black Mamba in the front. Personally, I rank Rollercoasters based off the ride hardware itself and not theming/scenery. With that, I prefer Inferno as it has a more intense ride experience - I found Black Mamba to be quite shaky and forceless after the first inversion.

However, I can understand how someone would prefer Black Mamba

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I recognize how rough they are, but I think it's a solid layout.

I agree SLCs are actually a really solid layout. And it's easy to see why they're so popular with parks. It's the same with Boomerangs as well; a lot of thrill in not a lot of space. Very good. Just a shame they ride awfully.

Th13teen is best UK coaster

Quoting because Th13teen always deserves more love. Honestly think it's one of the most underappreciated rides.

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
I can understand neminf over Black mamba, but infusion over black mamba??
I personally don't find Infusion too rough. I also find that it has a more exciting, more intense and more unique layout than Black Mamba (I've done 2 standard SLCs compared to 3 inverts with the same combination of inversions).

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I personally don't find Infusion too rough. I also find that it has a more exciting, more intense and more unique layout than Black Mamba (I've done 2 standard SLCs compared to 3 inverts with the same combination of inversions).

Infusion - a clone coaster - has a more unique layout than the custom-designed Black Mamba?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I preferred Galactica at Alton Towers to Manta at SeaWorld Orlando as far as B&M flyers go. I'd also say Manta was my least favourite SeaWorld Orlando B&M.

Galactica is my favourite B&M flyer, even though I've also ridden Manta.

I prefer Galactica to Manta (at SeaWorld Orlando).

OK Matt, we get it! ?

My least common opinion would be: Furius Baco is a Top Ten ride and I enjoyed it more than Shambhala.
(Although I will admit it is slipping down my rankings the more creds I get)

Peet

Giga Poster
Th13teen is best UK coaster

Quoting because Th13teen always deserves more love. Honestly think it's one of the most underappreciated rides.

I know this topic is for uncommon opinions but come on - it has brakes on the main drop ffs! It's not even the best coaster in the Dark Forest (and I'm not a big fan of Rita by any measure). I hope the kiddies and families are enjoying it because for the thrillseeker it offers very little.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
It makes good use of the natural landscape, the drop element is amazing, the props are good and the first drop, although trimmed, is still very good... The ride is particularly fun in the back, although creates a great atmosphere and wholesome experience that can be enjoyed anywhere on the train,

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Thirteen is a brilliant supporting coaster for the park IMO. I think the advertising really left this ride super under-rated.
This isn't a thrill coaster, its a fun family-thrill coaster that is just plain good fun. The ride also gives killer night rides and just overall is fun for anyone.

Matt N

CF Legend
I must admit that I also find Thirteen quite underrated; I enjoy it a lot when I visit Alton Towers! It's definitely not my favourite coaster by any means, but it's probably my favourite family coaster I've done! I find it really smooth with a really twisty, dynamic layout and many exciting moments for a family coaster, especially in the backwards portion of the ride! Dependent on where you sit, I even sometimes find myself getting some nice floater airtime in portions of the ride!

Admittedly, Thirteen is not quite my favourite coaster at Alton Towers within the 1.2m height restriction bracket (that would go to Wicker Man, but I'd class that as more of a thrill ride than a family ride.), but I still find it to be a very fun family coaster, and I can certainly see why @toofpikk loves it so much! (For clarity, Thirteen is my #24 out of 66 coasters, whereas Wicker Man is my #11.)

Controversially, as I mentioned in my post above, I do actually prefer Thirteen to Expedition Everest by a slim margin, despite Everest's far greater scale. While I admit that Everest has more in-depth theming than Thirteen, I find Thirteen to have a slightly more dynamic, exciting layout that just does more for me. If we're being nit picky, I also think that Thirteen flows slightly better as a coaster than Everest does; Thirteen goes into that drop track and sends the train backwards very quickly, whereas with Everest, you're waiting quite a long time for the switch track to do its thing. Both are brilliant family coasters, however, and the difference between the two in my rankings isn't very big at all (Thirteen is #24, Everest is #25).