What's new

YAY Merlin!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
owentaylor121 said:
What's with the stupidly wonky gate? I really hope they theme up this fencing.
I can only assume it's because they've installed the posts vertically, and it's to allow the gate to open both ways on the sloping ground.

As others have said, better than the scaffolding. That's about all there is to say on a fence...

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Was the scaffolding actually themeing?! I always assumed it served a purpose on the ride like maintenance access for the launch or something? Didnt realise it was just lobbed there as actual themeing wtf

nealbie

CF Legend
It was after Intamin launch cables kept snapping every five seconds, as some sort of near-useless safety measure.

Then they put cobwebs and other such things on it to "hide it" as theming.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah but it's like saying HIV is better than cance.

I'm not overly joyed they've replaced something **** with something slightly less ****.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I think it was put there because they were too cheap to buy the new ...tray(?) that intamin put under the launches. Coupled with Towers' overzealous H&S department it meant they were left with that monstrosity, and the scaffolding under it ;)

Sandman

Giga Poster
I don't really see the problem with the fencing. I'm not entirely sure why it's been branded as 'garden fencing' as its just like any wooden fencing you'd see anywhere. It doesn't have much of an effect on the overall surroundings. If anything, I'm just glad Towers are smoothing over any little bumps the park has before the season begins.

Fraser789

Roller Poster
DelPiero said:
Worth a Yay! in my book, finally getting rid of the scaffolding around Rita.

Cc-F25aWIAQalnC.jpg

Picture from @AltonTLC Twittor
That looks a lot better. I hated the scaffolding around Rita it looked unfinished.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Trihunter

Roller Poster
X got a little TLC over the winter. It's got a new intro & outro voiceover (that I think sounds like Radio 1), and a mural by the bag pickup. "X:/ This Way Out." Forgot to take pics though. :p

jayjay

Giga Poster
I managed not to notice it, then I did and oh god it's everywhere. My memory isn't that detailed, but they weren't there before, right?

But enough nitpicking, YES HEX IS BACK GET HYPE

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh god, no doubt they had loads of smug little gits replying with relish about the typo. Although a company like AT should triple check everything before it goes out, these things happen.

As for Hex, I'm in two minds. I hope it doesn't look too tidy and clean. Remember, the vault was sealed for three centuries and discovered during maintenance work. Call my cynical, but a "building site" and a room left dormant for 300 years would not be pristine. But I guess it will be dark. Overall though, I'm chuffed it's returning.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I think you'll find it's two centuries, Ian.

What are you with your mistakes, part of Alton's marketing team?
I dunno. I still think it's 2016.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Not even sorry for the Necro, Merlin deserve some praise for this.

https://www.thorpepark.com/events/the-year-of-the-walking-dead
SUMMER LATES
EVERY THURSDAY, FRIDAY & SATURDAY IN SUMMER
Bask in the holiday heat with us every Thursday, Friday and Saturday of summer for a series of vibrant events, including live music, beach parties and riding into the sunset!

I checked and yes, for 6 weeks from the 26th of July to the 1st September they are open 10-10 on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays
https://www.thorpepark.com/resort-information/opening-times-and-travel

davidm

Strata Poster
Yay Merlin...
:) said:
Merlin shares on track for biggest rise ever after ‘not terrible’ results
https://www.ft.com/content/689f058a-1d3e-11e8-956a-43db76e69936

Bad weather and terror attacks hit trading at Merlin...
The company on Thursday announced plans to shift spending away from renovating the company’s existing “Midway” city-centre attractions, such as Madame Tussauds and Sea Life, and its resort theme parks, including Italy’s Gardaland and the UK’s Alton Towers. Instead, it will focus capital expenditure on building hotel rooms alongside its venues.
https://www.ft.com/content/fbddf3d6-1d27-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

(that second article is more interesting that the first, which is really just share-price related)

Last edited: