What's new

Wings3D, Help thread (NL)

^ Hmm, don't the Material Properties window have the Opacity slider? mine does.

Maybe you have to uninstall all versions of Wings and then do a fresh install again.

wings1lx9.png

You can see, instead of having the little box at the far right of all of it, it now has these periods before and after the word, and when I go into face selection mode to edit the colors like I normally do, it just shows the color menu, and no transparency stuff.

^ To edit the materials, just right click on them in the "Outliner" window.

Also the reason why it looks that way is that you have selected some faces.
Meaning, you can't have anything selected if you want to create a new material and get the "Material Preferences" window when you create it.

I can't edit materials at all. I can only select them, or make colors which don't show up at all in the sim. The only colors which show up in the sim are ones I have made myself.

^ You have to make all materials you want to be seen in NL yourself.
You can't use the "Vertex Color" option, it only work in Wings, you can however (in some way) create materials from the colors you added to your object, but they look very bland in NL.

I figured out transparencies. Had to select the "hole" material, then I had to add a texture to the object.

^ OK, if that works for you.

Or when you create a "New Material" you get the preferences where you tweak the color, emissions, reflections, etc. you have a slider that says Opacity at the bottom that will change the transparencies of that face of the object.

How do you make sure a station building fits snugly around a track and above the ground? Because there are pretty much no measurements in wings that I can see. This is just in case I make one and it doesn't fit properly and I get frustrated and never use Wings again.

^ There is measurements in Wings, when you select a single node/edge/face then you see the location of it's up in the left corner (underneath the save, etc. icons).

Like this:
position.jpg

That shows the location of the selected node (works the same for edges and faces, the only difference then is that the location is for the midpoint).

If you select an edge it will tell how long it is, or select an face and you will also get it's area, and if you select 2 edges/faces you will get info about distance between them and the angle between them.

Also Wings don't have any unit's on the measurements so you can use Meters or Feet, what ever you use in NL.

loefet said:
^ OK, if that works for you.

Or when you create a "New Material" you get the preferences where you tweak the color, emissions, reflections, etc. you have a slider that says Opacity at the bottom that will change the transparencies of that face of the object.

No no, you don't get it. There IS NO New Material editor option like that. When I click on New Material, the materials list opens up with the materials already loaded into Wings. No way to adjust the color. I click on Vertex Color, and I can edit the color of that surface for some reason, but it doesn't show up in wings. There is no way for me to edit the material colors, or edit opacity, reflectiveness, ect.

^ You can't have anything selected when you want to create a new material.

So deselect everything and open the RMB menu and click the "Material..." and then you get to name it and then you get to the edit material pane.
If you have anything selected you get ".Material." on the RMB menu, which gives you a list of available materials to add to that selected surface.

And then if you want to edit some material etc. just open the "Outliner" window (Windows > Outliner).
In there you have a list of all objects, materials, textures, etc. Just right click on your materials and choose "Edit Material..."

materials.jpg

Material Properties.

^That's funny, because before, when I had a face selected, it would allow me to edit the material with all of the options, with the "Material..." selection. Now, whenever I have a face selected, it gives me the ".Material." selection...

Hey, i am making some netting on Wings 3D and i have no idea how to make the actual net. I have made a thin rectangle shape where i want the net to be but don't know what texture to add, if any.

Thanks for any help in advance. :)

^ Simplest way would be to add a Netting texture, just be sure that the "holes" in the texture are transparent (so you need to use a PNG file).

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, i just made a net in MS Paint and saved it as a .PNG and then add it to the rectangle and look what happened:

It went all wonky and it isn't see through. What did i do wrong?
NET2222-1.png

Paint' can't handle transparencies at all, so you have to get something more powerful, Photoshop, Gimp, Paint.NET or similar.

About the wonky bit, are you sure that you were looking perpendicular to the surface when you added the texture and also that you haven't removed any nodes/edges or any other way modified the object after you added the texture.

A tip is to make it even thinner since it will look better and also be sure to add textures on both sides at the same time.

Oh okay thanks. I'll make sure im completely perpendicular.

I have Gimp and know a little bit about using it, and i understand that i would have to use somthing called an Alpha Channel to make transparent textures. I have also found a good net texture on google and saved it. How do i get the holes to be transparent? Sorry. i'm a n00b at this.

Yeah it's the alpha channel you have to use.

Start by creating a new image and in the advance setting choose that you would like to fill the background with "transparency" (it will end up like a checkers board but don't worry) and then just paint your lines for the netting and finally save it as a PNG.

Then to get perpendicular, just select one side and go "view" > "align to selection" and you should be perpendicular to one of the sides. Then, without changing the view, select the whole netting part and then apply textures.