Difficult to pick one. Here are my favourites in no particular order:

Any Intamin 1st Gen
Atmosphere
Det
Falcon's Fury
Tower of Terror

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
Definitely Lex Luther. I haven't ridden the most drop towers, but the sheer height combined with the fact that the tower sways when Superman goes by, is just so intense.

I would like to see a 120 m+ tower that combines both launch, free-fall, and ejector pull drops all into one sequence in that order, with 3 or 4 towers of at least 16 or 12 people each. Perhaps a random chance to add the tilting drop during the free-fall section of the sequence would also enhance the ride experience.

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
1: mystery Castle at phantasialand, great experience, forceful and decent ride length, feels larger than it is because its enclosed

2: tower of terror at Disney Paris. Couldn't stop laughing the whole ride through, and having a seat belt as a restraint is great. Theming and pre show is spot on.

3: hurrican kondor at portaventura. Very tall, very intense, rode at night and view was spectacular.

4: any s&s tower, I enjoy them still, just not as much as the previous entries

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
Just the first Intamin 2nd gen drop tower
"Gyro Drop" Lotte World
Pure thrill!!

나의 SM-A520K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Alessio

Roller Poster
My Freefall Tower Ranking:

1. High Fall - Movie Park Germany: Intamin Gyro Drop with Floorless Standup, insane airtime and intensity.
2. Atmosfear - Liseberg: Awesome view and in terms of duration one of the best drops, a shame it doesn’t rotate.
3. Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - SF GAdv: Incredible view with a really long lasting drop
4. Ikaros - Gröna Lund
5. Power Tower II - traveling (Oktoberfest München 2017)
6. Falcon‘s Fury - Busch Gardens Tampa
7. Mystery Castle - Phantasialand
8. Fritt Fall Tilt - Gröna Lund
9. Scream - Heide Park
10. Drop Zone - Kings Dominion

I didn’t include Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios but I guess it would be slightly above Mystery Castle.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I can't say I'm a big fan of most drop towers these days. Most of the memorable ones for me are the quirky ones that are more than just a straight drop.

Ikaros at Grona Lund was a lot of fun. I ended up riding on the park side, but I'd quite like to re-ride at some point looking out towards the Baltic. I found it to be entertaining, if not massively intense. Somebody else on the forum compared it to a B&M dive machine, and I reckon that's a fairly reasonable comparison.

Mystery Castle is awesome as a complete package. The queue, the build-up, the setting, the ride cycle - it all just comes together to make for an amazing experience.

Finally, the Intamin 1st generation drop towers are quite something. I wouldn't necessarily say they're great in a traditional sense, as they tend to bump and bash you around a fair bit, but I remember the drop being decent, and the weird movements, along with the clunks and bangs from the ride as it moves makes for a very unnerving ride cycle. The ride may be safe, but it doesn't sound that way when you're riding it.

mo237

Roller Poster
For traditional towers, Detonator is horribly intense. The drop is so sharp and sudden that it always catches me off guard, especially as it really shoots you down.

Overall favourite though? Ikaros. Whilst it may be forceless, the sheer height of the tower and the tilting really makes it a trouser-browning experience. Really hope we see more of these pop up.

Looking forward to trying out Hangover at Winter Wonderland and Hollywood Action Tower and Movieland Park in due course.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ask me again in about 3 weeks, and I shall almost certainly have a definitive answer for you... ;)

As predicted, I now have a definitive answer for you. Y'all are wrong. So, so wrong.
THE best drop ride on planet Earth (or should that be in planet Earth?) is the Haunted Mine Drop at Glenwood Caverns, Colorado.
Kudos to Jay37415 for being the only person so far to even mention it:

But this one is definitely on my bucket list...

IT DROPS YOU DOWN A MINE SHAFT IN PITCH DARKNESS FFS! ?

I don't care how tall your Lex Luthor's, your Zumanjaro's and your Highlander's are, you ain't beating that for sheer terror. No way, man, no way.
Terrifying, and absolutely superb.

Last edited:

Leon

Roller Poster
I can't believe no one has mentioned venom at west midlands safari park although small it packs one hell of a punch even more so than detonator in my opinion but my favourite is mystery castle .

VDCoasterBoy

Roller Poster
I would say Tower of Terror at DLP or Detonator at Thorpe Par, the first being because of its theming, and the second because of its crazy forcefulness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScottLann

Mega Poster
1. Hurakan Condor - PA
2. Falcons Fury - BGT
3. Apocalypse - DM
4. Doctor Doom - IOA
5. Detonator - TP
6. Cliff Hanger - FL
7. Thrill Towers - PA

I've heard a lot of people say the Apocalypse at Drayton is more forceful than Hurakan Condor, I personally think Hurakan is the far more superior drop tower and is my favourite!

Last edited:

hersheyfan410

Roller Poster
ARM drop towers like stratos fear at knoebels are really good rides. The drops hit way harder than on the bigger towers like zumanjaro or others.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Best

1) Apocalypse - Stand Up With Floor, Drayton Manor
2) Apocalypse - Stand Up Floorless, Drayton Manor
3) Detonator, Thorpe Park
4) Power Tower II, Travelling
5) Hangover, Travelling
6) Volcano, Fantasy Island
7) Jolly Roger, Pleasurewood Hills
8) Ice Blast, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
9) Sky Drop, Adventure Island
10) Sky Drop, Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
11) I swear there was a drop tower that was right next to Python at Gulliver's Milton Keynes, that one
12) Drop n Smile, Adventure Island

Worst

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I haven’t really ranked them…

But I can say that Apocalypse has the unusual accolade of being towards the top and bottom of my theoretical list.

Great drop tower, except for the standing floor-less seats which are just painful!

Still not as bad as the monstrosity at Energylandia though!

Edit: And I’ve just realised I’ve moaned about standup floorless in this topic before… Could we please stop reviving old threads, I do not have the memory capacity left after the millions of lines of song lyrics…

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Ikaros at Grona Lund - for the views and amazing ride experience
Atmosfear at Liseberg - for the views of the city, specially at night
Highlander at Hansa-Park - for the views of the beaches

Hope to do all three this year :cool:

Will

Strata Poster
Scream at Heide Park for me

A lot of sentimental love for Detonator due to the old days with @Scarlet

Vaguely remember one in Canada being good, but can't for the life of me remember which

S&S towers are a bit ****

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Detonator for me, when i rode the big intamin ones i felt a little underwhelmed. Detonator packs such a mighty punch for being 115 foot tall.

Indy

Hyper Poster
There is Mystery Castle at Phantasialand and there is everything else. That thing is in a league of it's own. Ikaros, Highlander and others are also good but nowhere close to Mystery Castle.
That depends on what you're looking for though. As an overall attraction, it's superior to pretty much all others. However, when I ride a drop tower, I want a true freefall experience. I don't want something that is overly controlled like Mystery Castle, Tower of Terror, or S&S towers. One good way of separating them is if my wife enjoys them. If she does, then it's probably not a true freefall. 😆 Nevertheless, Mystery Castle is excellent.

Last edited:

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
Don't really have a list, but I prefer the Second-Gen Intamin towers. Also thought Acrophobia at SFOG and Falcon's Fury at BGT were excellent. First-Gens are a lot of fun, too. Not as excited about the regular Gyro Drops. I've been on KI's and KD's, and while they look impressive, to me, they lack the oomph that the other varieties provide. S&S towers are outdoor elevators to me. Space Shots, Turbo Drops- I've tried, and failed to like them. Was looking forward to trying the Orlando Drop Tower later this month, but I don't think it'll be open by then, and if it is, I don't think my wife would be happy about me giving it a spin.