What's new

What Is The Most Overrated Roller Coaster?

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Manta sucks. It's uncomfortable and boring. The only part I really liked was the pretzel loop. Kraken on the other hand <3

Revenge of The Mummy wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.

Afterburn is a little bit too.

therick311

Mega Poster
I found Manta and Kraken to be the exact opposite of what you said. I thought Manta was great. It actually does things after the pretzel loop, unlike the SUF clones.

While I wouldn't say Kraken was bad, I just didn't think it was amazing. I don't think it helps that there are too many B&Ms in Orlando/Tampa.

Intricks

Strata Poster
While I havent seen it hyped here, Steel Force. I was expecting a subpar Phantoms Revenge, I got a pretty decent first drop followed by **** all.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I'll agree with that. For me, I hopped onto Steel Force expecting something along the lines of Magnum XL. Afterall, Steel Force was built 8 years after Magnum - surely track design has gotten better, right? Rather, the layout was bland, airtime hills were too large to feel forces, and it wasn't what I had expected.

Appreciated the layout when I later rode Mamba and knowing slightly more what to expect. However, that initial Morgan ride was nowhere near what I had expected after riding Arrows.

bmac

Giga Poster
The trip back on Steel Force is good when the MCBR doesn't trim the speed as hard, which basically never happens...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Jason Voorhees said:
Manta sucks. It's uncomfortable and boring. The only part I really liked was the pretzel loop. Kraken on the other hand <3
Clueless. :roll:

Nothing about Manta sucks and I've never heard anyone before complaining about it being uncomfortable. It's constantly compared with Tatsu as one of the two best flyers with fantastic themeing, brilliant pacing and easily one of the most gorgeous coasters in the world.
Kraken, on the other hand, is constantly mentioned as one of the most overrated/underwhelming floorless coasters out there, although I don't think it's as bad as many other enthusiasts let on.

marc

CF Legend
ECG said:
Jason Voorhees said:
Clueless. :roll:

Nothing about Manta sucks and I've never heard anyone before complaining about it being uncomfortable. It's constantly compared with Tatsu as one of the two best flyers with fantastic themeing, brilliant pacing and easily one of the most gorgeous coasters in the world.
Kraken, on the other hand, is constantly mentioned as one of the most overrated/underwhelming floorless coasters out there, although I don't think it's as bad as many other enthusiasts let on.

Totally agree with this.

I actually thought Tatsu was over rated and Manta was better than it.

The problem I had with Tasu was it done nothing apart from the pretzel loop which I did not enjoy. Just found the coaster slow and really boring. Maybe we went on it on a bad day I don't know.

Goliath at sfmm totally over rated. Zero air time and forceless.

Cannot remember if I've already said the above in the topic.

bmac

Giga Poster
I've heard about Goliath at SFMM having no air time but I've never heard about it being completely forceless. Quite a few have told me that the helices are very forceful, to the point of graying out.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I've got to disagree with Marc's assessment of Goliath at SFMM. Although it doesn't have the ejector airtime of an Intamin mega or even the floater of a B&M hyper, it does offer a great ride and as bmac said - the helices are very forceful. I'm not even sure that it qualifies as being overrated, as it's a largely overlooked SFMM coaster in spite of its size. It's also blatantly sexual and here's the video to prove it (skip to 1:20):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJwsfZcUmBo[/youtube]

Intricks

Strata Poster
I hear nothing ;3 Lol

Goliath is a bit of an enigma for me. I got airtime on the drop and I believe once more elsewhere (sitting towards the back). The midcourse was braking hard to the point of completely stopping, but my ride, compared to the vid, was actually booking it through the midcourse.

Jumping a bit, but back to Hyde, I never expected a ride like Magnum for Steel Force. Maybe for Desperado (which was a terrible mistake lol), but I figured the bunny hops would have offered more face-punching (that double up in the back on Phantom) airtime, not a leisurely stroll through a parking lot laden with speed bumps. The midcourse didnt even bite the train! I will give it props for its first drop, in the back, solely cause of that kick of airtime.

Ummm, another overrated ride that Im trying to recall (but not full on judging) would have been I305. I was hoping it would have been my first gray-out, but nothing happened. Sigh...

marc

CF Legend
I can only rate coasters on the day I rode and 5 years ago people kept on and on about how great it was. We actually found Viper more forceful to the point Mark greyed out.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
I think Goliath has some crazy reputation from years past. I got to ride in 2000 when it opened and the MCBR was NEVER has hardcore as it is now from the videos I've seen. My dad turned to me and said that he had circles of black closing around his vision when we rode back then.

So I think because it was rated so highly back then, people now reminisce about how awesome it was, not how it is now.

marc

CF Legend
Yep and that's what I remember.

So I was expecting huge amounts of airtime and high g, I got neither.

D1993

Hyper Poster
I'm surprised Manta and Kraken were mentioned as being over rated.
Neither seem to be widely praised and yapped on about.
Manta has what has to be the most single forceful element I've experienced on any coaster - that pretzel loop in the back row. It was like I felt someone trying to peel the skin off my face haha. The rest of the ride I found very enjoyable.
Kraken kind of had the opposite pacing for me, it got better as it went on. In particular I found the zero-g roll, cobra roll and second loop to be excellent. Who doesn't love a good ol' tunnel either?

As for Goliath I cannot say much, but I have been on Titan and holy crap the upwards helix going into the block brake was insane.

Montubelle89

Roller Poster
The Incredible Hulk. The beginning starts out great and it peters out after the vertical loop into nothing. Nothing special. I expect better from a B&M :)

Myrmidon

Roller Poster
de Vliegende Hollander in the Efteling Netherlands, darkride is o.k. but the coaster part is terrible. way to short.

BBH

Giga Poster
I don't get all the hype for Batman at GAm. It's a great layout and fabulously intense but it's gotten too rough.

Posted while reading your mind.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Is Batman really all that hyped though? With some exceptions (such as myself), general consensus seems to be that it's a good ride but nothing amazing. I don't recall seeing anyone really saying it's a fantastic ride.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk