What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

HEY, did someone post Cheetah Hunts useless and awesomely random non-support?

cheetahhunt6.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chip from ThrillNetwork

I am actually thinking this might be from where they had to change the layout slightly due to the trains not making it over the hill over the chairlift.

reddude333 said:
^ Nah, it's theming ;-)

Sorry if I sound like a newb but, why would a support structure be used for theming? My guess would be that the layout was changed, so I basically agree with TheKingin64. Or it's there incase it was ever needed in construction. (As a spare part basically. It could be used if the stress levels were too high on that part of the track.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPhb3O4vIvo 1:25

You don't sound like a "newb" for agreeing that the mystery support is probably a result of a layout change, you sound like one because you thought I was being serious...I guess the winky face didn't do the trick this time...

reddude333 said:
You don't sound like a "newb" for agreeing that the mystery support is probably a result of a layout change, you sound like one because you thought I was being serious...I guess the winky face didn't do the trick this time...
My bad for not realizing you weren't being serious. Lol. But I'll go with the theory that it's only there to be used if necessary. Like I said before, it could of been needed if the stress levels were higher than expected on that part of the track. That part of the track is not located above the Skyride I don't think there was a layout change.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's theming. There was a huge discussion about it on here back when Cheetah Hunt was being built and if I remember correctly, that specific support's purpose was simply to have a banner hung on it. I'm too lazy to try and hunt down any other photos or dig through the topic.

I got $1 that says the support was purposely implemented just to piss off the coaster enthusiasts.

Xpress said:
I got $1 that says the support was purposely implemented just to piss off the coaster enthusiasts.

I raise you $2.

Amazingly a lot of parks love the coaster enthusiast communities, and some have been dying for good ones to arrive (Dollywood comes to mind) while others absolutely hate a few communities (BGW and BGWFans).

Nick P said:
reddude333 said:
^ Nah, it's theming ;-)

Sorry if I sound like a newb but, why would a support structure be used for theming? My guess would be that the layout was changed, so I basically agree with TheKingin64. Or it's there incase it was ever needed in construction. (As a spare part basically. It could be used if the stress levels were too high on that part of the track.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPhb3O4vIvo 1:25
gfjkfse14u2002pia8ldh3.jpg

That whole tower is a theming piece, but is also the structural support system too. I'm not saying that's the reason in which the support in case is there, I'm just pointing the fact that's it's not actually as unusual as you think to use a support as theming.

That park also has this
b7l0b6400005bfjchhgemu.jpg

Like the one at Yomouri Land this ride has 1 stand-up and one sitdown train (although here the sitdown is backwards). You can see the standup train in the background above.

^Now that is weird, wacky, and strange. Is this just for varied ride experience? It doesn't really make sense to me. Also seems like it might not be safe for the stand-up, unless the coaster is designed as a stand-up and is just also used with sitdown trains.

reddude333 said:
Also seems like it might not be safe for the stand-up, unless the coaster is designed as a stand-up and is just also used with sitdown trains.
I hope this was a joke...

Well, unless I am just being a complete idiot, I would assume that the forces experienced on coasters differ with stand-ups...at least I can feel a significant difference. I would just guess that turns and inversions are tailored for the specific train type that will be riding on the track (due to the different heartline of riders). So no, it wasn't a joke...it may have been a naive comment but I wasn't kidding. Please enlighten me.

I guess it's due to the fact the ride has been running with that setup for years. I think Gavin may have been on it.

Yes, on a huge B&M coaster it makes a difference standing up, but you could make a coaster that works for both I'm sure; especially one that maybe isn't too forceful or have tight elements.