What's new

UK Riots

Re: London Riots

It's odd how quickly riots are more common over the past two years than any other year. Protesters in Lybia due to their really horrible leader, Vancouver with the Stanley Cup (which I might add is ridiculous because don't create huge panic due to someone losing in the olympics, or basketball, or anything else (seeing as how they are both sport events), and now... London with a shooting. Eventually, the people who try to make things worse will realize that no good deed goes unpunished. The prime minister sounds like someone who isn't too sure of what he should do. Estimation of officers tonight in the areas are jumping from 6,000 to 16,000. I hope things are being taken care of properly.

Its now hitting Manchester too. I hope it doesn't escalate as bad as it has been down south...

(I've changed the topic title too, since it is no longer just London)

Mark said:
Its now hitting Manchester too. I hope it doesn't escalate as bad as it has been down south...

(I've changed the topic title too, since it is no longer just London)

Was considering changing it myself... Cheers for doing it for me though ;)

Here's hoping the North don't follow suit to the same degree... I might set foot outside tomoz and see what's happening in Heath at least... But it's all quietened down proper here at least now...

I'm in work and our office have just locked the front gates. Nothing happening really close, but it's just a precaution.

The police need to be given the right to use more force, and as soon as they can, people will start to think twice before acting like complete ****.

^ This. People bitch about it when someone dies in one of these. So? It's their own stupid fault.

^Not if they weren't one of the people rioting though. What if they just happened to be in the area?

That reminds me of the movie Battle In Seattle, based on the World Trade Organization Ministerial Conference of 1999, except the story. Still, there are people who protest violently and those who protest peacefully. It's really a series of very unfortunate events. The police can attack or arrest anyone for anything, regardless of what they do. Therefore, the best thing to do at the moment is to have all peaceful protesters, stay at home. The violent ones will be attacking with great force. It's a sad truth..

Or there should be a trade embargo on hoodies, so that the hooligans and rioters won't have anything to wear.

I have an idea, give the police real weapons, if they SEE someone kicking in a window, or stealing ****, rubber bullets. You can't run around with a plastic shield and a night stick saying, hey, you, stop it, because I say so. Real world doesn't work like that. These people are a bunch of **** idiots in my opinion. Riots only make your cause look worse, If the guy they shot was indeed in charge of a gang, he deserved it, and probably had it coming one way or another.

Unfortunately my office is still standing. A big storm in a teacup Wimbledon way, and the rumours of a big thing going down in Kingston at 8.30 were just that - rumours.

I'm a bit shocked at the amount of aggression posed in this topic though. CF is usually so level-headed. Don't get me wrong, I despise these looters as much as the next person - they are not protesting, they are looting. End of. But suggesting we bash 'em all on the head and throw 'em in a pit is not really helping, and to be honest, just makes you look foolish.

There is an argument for the use of extra force as the police appear to be unable to cope with the situation. However, this is an interesting quote from Sir Hugh Orde (former chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, Orde - therefore, someone who has much more experience in these matters than any of us):

"I do not think it would be sensible in any way shape or form to deploy water cannon or baton rounds in London. Baton rounds are very serious bits of equipment. I would only deploy them in life-threatening situations. What is happening in London is not an insurgency that is going to topple the country. There are 8 million people in London and it is a tiny proportion doing this. They are gangs of looters and criminals and although it is concerning it has to be kept in proportion."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/0 ... olice-orde

jokerman said:
^Not if they weren't one of the people rioting though. What if they just happened to be in the area?

that's the thing. The police are trying to get people out of said area, if they aren't moving, sucks to be them. "What if they live there!" you say, get the **** back in your house to avoide said bullets and blunt objects. "My house is on fire though!!" get out of your house, run away from the area, go somewhere else.

Mysterious Sue said:
I'm a bit shocked at the amount of aggression posed in this topic though. CF is usually so level-headed. Don't get me wrong, I despise these looters as much as the next person - they are not protesting, they are looting. End of. But suggesting we bash 'em all on the head and throw 'em in a pit is not really helping, and to be honest, just makes you look foolish.

This. It amazes me how willing people are stoop to the same violent and degenerate level as the criminals in order to sort them out. Whatever happened to two wrongs don't make a right?

I am disgusted in the behaviour of these looters too, regardless of their motives. They may be fighting the establishment, 'claiming back their taxes' (which I've heard but doubt they have ever paid much to claim back) or just being criminal, whatever. It still doesn't justify what they are doing. However, the authorities have an obligation to maintain a certain moral code, otherwise it just makes a mockery of the system, makes them as bad as the criminals out there and would more then likely stir up even more trouble.

The rioters seems to not have a clue what they are doing, every interview with one has just been a bizarre convoluted sentance about the 'government can't control us, so we are taking advantage', here's the link to it;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne ... 560646.stm

There were rumours flying around that Portsmouth were going to have riots and at my work we all started to get worried in case we became a target. But nothing happened, it was all chinese whispers, the police were on the streets patrolling. Unfortunately a building on the seafront caught fire which everyone seemed to think was the beginning of the riot, but was a accident and unrelated.
After watching the football I was on the bus back and there were girls proclaiming they'd "smash that shop up, get nice nails stuff" and getting excited that North End (small shopping area in Portsmouth) was being smashed up, and to their horror nothing was happening, untouched. Their response was "iiz got excitesz for nuffin'" or some chav language.

This is pathetic. Just to get things that they want? I hope police do their best to get them. Because the Summer Olympics are coming up, and they better keep it pretty well maintained once that comes, or else, London might see the last of it's days being shown in the Olympics. Riots are ridiculous. It's a good thing many british celebrities are warning London, and various other city people in their vicinities to not go outside.