What's new

Thoughts on Saw

Rach

Giga Poster
I think it may be time to post something in this topic.

I rode it back on April 18th and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. The queue for the ride that day was around 2 hours 30/45, but it certainly isn't worth that length of queue. There was something satisfying about cutting that queue as well.

That day I managed two rides, both were at the front of the train but one ride was on the second car and the other on the first. I echo what Ian said about the first train being a lot better.

The bit that I was very very impressed with was the indoor drop! WOW! That certainly took me by surprise. I had forgotten how big the actual indoor drop was until then and the illusion the lights play on you makes it seem a lot longer than what it actually is! I loved the swinging blades and the spikes as that added to the excitement of the drop!

The rest of the ride was great as well. It maintained a steady pace once it had actually gone up the lift. The spikes could've been a bit closer as I didn't feel that it was a head chopper effect one bit. I didn't feel the breaks on the MCBR that it broke down on on opening day kick in at all which was great.

I would give it a solid 8 out of 10 as I did throughly enjoy it. 3rd best coaster there after Inferno and Stealth.

Beans

Hyper Poster
I still enjoy Saw and have ridden it over 30 times now. It was still better at the beginning before they trimmed the mid course break, but you only have a few of us to vouch for that one.

Anyway heres pics I took on Media Day 12th March, and a few from the 13th of the Actors, didn't put them up before as they would have been spoilers, one thing is noticable is the lack of people and the lack of chewing gum that is now stuck to most things inside. Also that there was all 6 trains in Station with 2 out on track, not to be seen again since.

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?a ... =604610277

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?a ... 277&ref=mf

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I enjoyed Saw alot, but then again I did ride it on Friday 13th minus the queues! Despite what everyone is saying, I prefered the second train, and didn't notice the longer wait on the air jets part, however did before the lift hill.

How many trains are they running on it now then? Was very efficient when they were running eight ... well .. when it wasn't broken down!

A

Anonymous

DanzibarDrums said:
I enjoyed Saw alot, but then again I did ride it on Friday 13th minus the queues! Despite what everyone is saying, I prefered the second train, and didn't notice the longer wait on the air jets part, however did before the lift hill.

How many trains are they running on it now then? Was very efficient when they were running eight ... well .. when it wasn't broken down!

They are now running 8, very efficient IMHO. Especially after witnessing the shambles that was 6 trains. They are dispatching 2 trains every 50 seconds or so.
I think they have sorted out the pacing before the lift hill, the second train doesn't stop on the inside brakes now, as a matter of fact the first train stays on the brakes for longer. The wait before the lift hill also seems to be less, although the second train still stays there longer.
I think It's definately much better now than when it opened, the only thing thats got worse is that the swinging axe effect has been broken for at least a week, and knowing thorpe it will never work again. :(

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
So I finally went on it today... Twice, mainly because there are actually other attractions at Thorpe :lol:

Anyways, here's my review:

Today was literally my first time past Colossus and even into the ride area, which was pretty decent, the building looks better up close than afar, but it's still a real mish-mash of 'materials' and defo sticks out next to the turqouise of Lost City...

Being the 3rd person in the queue (with Kara the 4th) I got to walk through the queueline... I hated it... I would detest being inside it for over 10 minutes, let alone an hour... I know the point is to un-nerve you and make you anxious, but I dread to think what claustrophobes do when they encounter the Guantanamo Bay themed queue-line section...
Inside I saw nothing first time, not even the shot-guns (to which I was glad as you'll read later) and one video of Jigsaw played, but saw very little of it...

The loading section is a bit confusing, there are numerous numbers on the floor... But with the free reign of first set of cars, managed to get the front row, second car...
Billy made Kara jump as she was on the edge (I honestly didn't know he came to the right, if I did, I would've sat on the edge), and is a good idea, but poorly executed since all you hear instead are screams (both car and body) and air cannons... So not the best start...
Axes still aren't working, but the spike pit is good for first time riders, the crossbows bit was... Random... The inline was good on the second car, and the fountain is amusing more than anything...

The lift is really quick... Wasn't expecting it tbh, and possibly the rest of the ride is quick... Maybe too quick...
The bottom of the drop does have the rattle of doom, but it's certainly not as bad as some have made out, since the restraints are very, very comfy... But the ride is very quick... No trims now on the MCBR, defo good, but without knowing the difference cannot give a full judgement on that...

So the second time we had to actually queue, but due to a closure (one for Ian today, horray) the queue was only just outside the building when we joined it...
I don't like the shotguns...
I'm jumpy, very jumpy, and even with the time to prepare myself, I still jumped... I am indeed a wuss when it comes to scary things, but I was not a fan... I would HATE to work batch for it just for them... On the actual ride, this time it was the 1st car, back row, left seat... The indoor portion was much quicker paced I felt certainly, but the rest was same really...

Overall though... Saw is not a bad ride, that mantle still belongs to NWO, but nor is it the best ride in the park... I cannot decide if I prefer it to Stealth or not, but my view is that it's more average and run-of-the-mill than the biggest thing since sliced bread as some people were terming this as... It's very, very short and I think that's a problem in regards to it's pacing... It doesn't work the fast pacing for this, as that's not the point here, the point is the drop, and the theming... Neither of which it does brilliantly at let's be honest... I expected the indoor queue to be much bigger and more themed judging by pictures... But it was one corridor, straight to batch and 3 sets of stairs... With minimal theming bar the mesh fencing...

I will ride it when I go to the park defo... But it's not the best... It's too fast, like someone clicked the low friction box on RCT3, so it gets a 6.5/10

*Awaits the fanboys* ;)

marc

CF Legend
Going to have to get down to Thorpe to ride Saw with no trims now as we have only done it with them on.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I rode it six times with trims, two times without and didn't notice a difference.

Feels a bit rough now. Certainly not a ride I could do more than twice in a day.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I could. :p

Saw seems boring in the second car now, the audio from Jigsaw gets quieter each time (how long before that breaks?) and you know you're going to spend half the ride sitting on the block breaks.
The first car has much better pacing and is an amazing ride every time if you're lucky to get in the front row.

I was talking to Marc the other day and I compared it to Valhalla. It's an ok ride made amazing by it's special effects. But all the effects have to work as when you notice something static that you know is meant to move it takes away alot from the ride and makes it seem poor.

Still love it though. :)

marc

CF Legend
I would not say the effects make it amazing they make it an average coaster, the only thing that could ever do that to Saw is a rebuild :) I actually prefer The Vampire to Saw.

Ian thanks for your views I know you are not a fan boy so yours are not biased :)

I do need to try Saw again when I have no pressure to get on it and I am not pissed off by it. Will get down there in the week soon, maybe even this week to see what its like and when the park is quiet.

Jake

Strata Poster
I loved the queue, station and the prelift, but the speed-esque brain-damaging roughness of the main layout prevented me from enjoying the ride. A grave shame to be honest, because the layout is really cool and has some potentially nifty transitions.

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
I was talking to Marc the other day and I compared it to Valhalla. It's an ok ride made amazing by it's special effects. But all the effects have to work as when you notice something static that you know is meant to move it takes away alot from the ride and makes it seem poor.

Well, it is like Valhalla. Both are crappy.

Ollie

CF Legend
Lol, No. Valhalla is AMAZING (when the effects are working). And Marc you said as well that when you went on Saw none of the effects were on which is why you were probably disappointed.
And it was everyone here that made me a 'fanboy' as I stuck up for the ride when it was being built so I got branded a fanboy just because I said it might be good, instead of kicking it before it was open like everyone else was doing.

Saw does rely heavily on all it's effects working. No ride should do that, but Saw does so we've just got to enjoy it for what it is as a whole. The only thing that has disappointed people is their own expectations. If this was at a park like Paultons everyone would be saying how amazing it is. So it's also the park that it's at that is affecting peoples judgements of it.
And for those that still call me a fanboy. Saw isn't even in my top ten.

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Lol, No. Valhalla is AMAZING (when the effects are working).

Well, no, it isn't. It is if it's the only dark ride you've ever been on. But, a ride which never works and relies on effects that don't work, it's NOT a good ride.

And it was everyone here that made me a 'fanboy' as I stuck up for the ride when it was being built so I got branded a fanboy just because I said it might be good, instead of kicking it before it was open like everyone else was doing.

No, you are a fanboy.

The only thing that has disappointed people is their own expectations. If this was at a park like Paultons everyone would be saying how amazing it is. So it's also the park that it's at that is affecting peoples judgements of it.

Well DUH. If a Disney park dumped an SLC over the parking lot we wouldn't be going "OH, well, it would be great at Paulton's, so we can forgive Disney. Different parks are DIFFERENT. And should be treated as such.

And for those that still call me a fanboy. Saw isn't even in my top ten.

So? What does that prove?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Ergh Valhalla, what a poor excuse for a water ride.
Even with the effects working, it's still completely lame and the story doesn't flow at all.
Pirates of the Caribbean any day please!

Oh yer, Saw is cool, but could be better.

Ollie

CF Legend
I'll just let the picture speak for itself. :)

SANY0234.jpg

A

Anonymous

since i live in the states, i havent ridden this yet and its pretty hard for me to go to england. but the hype about this ride seemed insane, i knew from before it opened that itd be awesome. it seems like it is and i really want to go to thorpe now and go on it

Ollie

CF Legend
A-Kid said:
Yeah, it was like that on my last few visits. The bolt's been chaved.
Apparently it was a member of staff (Alfonso I think he's called) according to someone I know. But I'm not sure.