What's new

Thoughts on Saw

premal944

Roller Poster
This is what it says on thorpe website:

Welcome to THORPE PARK! We are now open for the main season. Please be aware that the Park is currently experiencing a power cut in the local area which is affecting a number of our attractions and we are currently awaiting further updates at this time.

Swat

Mega Poster
^ I've been to Thorpe park when the power went down. Happened at around 3pm. It was early last year. The whole place was evacuated and got free tickets to visit again. I do remember posting it in trip reports and other members being there on that day.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Well, we must remember that by advertising law Thorpe Park cannot lie on their website, so to some extent what Premal994 says must be true, but it could, however, be misleading. They've not said "this is why Saw breaks down". On the other hand, i can't believe they would instruct Screaming Coasters not to talk about a powercut, afterall, that's not their fault.

It's a massive shame that the ride (the the rest of the park) is experiencing problems. The rollercoaster itself is truely excellent and very enjoyable and it's not getting the plaudits it deserves because of the errors in the park.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Everyone should still bear in mind, every new coaster has its hiccups, regardless of the technology involved.

Thorpe will be able to lower the break down time eventually. It is something we have seen in parks across the globe, regardless of manufacturer or park chain.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Inverse said:
On the other hand, i can't believe they would instruct Screaming Coasters not to talk about a powercut, afterall, that's not their fault.

Ah but what happened to Saw was not down to a powercut. Officially, they aren't allowed to speak of the actual fault to the general public, but because I used to work for the company and I am very tight with the management, they told me.

Saw went down for another, quite major reason, but it's nothing that can't be fixed very soon. This is what I am not allowed to say. Hell, I'd be happy if it was just power, but it's not.

Lets just say, the ride needs remapping.

Crow

Mega Poster
I heard (from other forums) the cars were going through a set of blocks/trim brakes too quickly when fully laiden (over speed) so the ride kept shutting-down for saftey reasons. I dont know how reliable that is though.

A

Anonymous

Is it likely that it will be open before next Saturday Erol?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Crow said:
I heard (from other forums) the cars were going through a set of blocks/trim brakes too quickly when fully laiden (over speed) so the ride kept shutting-down for saftey reasons. I dont know how reliable that is though.

I did note that the brake run before the dive loop did nothing whatsoever. I watched many cars fly over it into the dive loop, and went over it a few times myself, not once did a car actually slow down over it. Is it the guilty party? If so it gives air time and makes the dive loop seriously fun and fast.

A

Anonymous

Surely it can't be because it's too heavy, how can that be possible when they tested with water dummys. Unless of course thorpe didn't test it properly :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It isn't weight. The only reason trains would go through the MCBR so quickly is because Thorpe set the MCBR to not slow down the train unless the previous train had not cleared the block section.

You find this with Raptor at CP. The MCBR will only stop the train in the event of an emergency stop. Other than that, the train flies through un-braked.

Since Erol has nudged at the MCBR being apart of the problem, the sensory system could be the reason for the down time, not properly registering the trains location on the layout causing the safety shut down.

Cedar Point ran a fowl of sensory/block system problems with TTD's opening and to a lesser extent Maverick. Heck, Wildcat which will be celebrating its 30th anniversary this year still has periodic shut downs due to block system error. :razz:

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Saw's MCBR is definitely being used for blocking rather than trimming.

I'd say given the problem they had, it's Gerstlauer who should be shouldering the blame, not Thorpe. Unless the root cause turns out to be simple hardware failure, even though the ride couldn't actually be hammered for real until opening day, their simulations and testing should cover everything beforehand.

Hurri

Mega Poster
The rumour I've heard is that the MCBR could potentially fail to catch a fully loaded car if the track is wet, so fins are being added to slow it more, which will of course trim the final section too.

marc

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
Inverse said:
On the other hand, i can't believe they would instruct Screaming Coasters not to talk about a powercut, afterall, that's not their fault.

Ah but what happened to Saw was not down to a powercut. Officially, they aren't allowed to speak of the actual fault to the general public, but because I used to work for the company and I am very tight with the management, they told me.

Saw went down for another, quite major reason, but it's nothing that can't be fixed very soon. This is what I am not allowed to say. Hell, I'd be happy if it was just power, but it's not.

Lets just say, the ride needs remapping.

Erol you really do speak a load of crap, sorry about the tone of this.

Get you facts right before posting ok, you dont know everything about theme park rides you just think you do. If you are that tight with managemet why did you not get queue jump tickets why did you not get an invite to other events.

If I was most people I would just ignore what Erol says, as I said on Saturday you know lots of stuff but know nothing. Stop misleading people Erol again I told you on Saturday to stop it.

Saw will be open today and nearly opened yesterday. They were up until 3am Saturday doing the work that was needed and they were testing until late last night with members of staff.

Slayed I 100% agree with you, the problem they had should have been picked up in testing which is why parks normally have soft openings. Rage was running 1 month before it was opened I dont know why Thorpe did not do the same. The problem with Saw though was not the fault of Thorpe.

The MCBR is used for trimming but can be used for blocking if needed, thats not where the problem was though.

I am going to leave it a few weeks before trying to ride it again though.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Marc, really.

I received an email from 'Chris Goodenough' PR manager of Thorpe Park, after I contacted him about ERT and I WAS invited to the event and was informed that Mark already received one aswell. I didn't go because I already payed for the Friday preview, and THATS why I didn't enter the competition. So, get YOUR facts right. Besides, I did get queue jump tickets. I got an all day ultimate for Saw on my return.

I was told the problem, it's known as an overspeed kill. It's just a form of block fault. There is more to it, but the rest I can't really say.
Hell, I I've done engineering work on Dragons Fury and Vampire, I've pulled them both apart, so I think it's safe to say I'm trusted. When we had these issues on Fury, we'd take it in for a remap. The Vampire was remapped daily according to the weather.

Oh I don't know why I even bother to inform you lot sometimes, all I get is sh1t off of you. And Marc, I don't appreciate you being on my case all the time, I had enough at Thorpe because of your petty arguing, so I suggest you stop now.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Erol and Marc, can you try and come to some agreement through PM's and then post the outcome here please?

marc

CF Legend
^ its sorted sorry.

From my side its just a lot of frustration that has spilt over so I am sorry.