What's new

Thorpe Park | Angry Birds | 4D Cinema/area retheme

jj23w

Hyper Poster
But lego is endorsed by Merlin who own like so much of it lego is the best thing made today. Merlin are just using angry birds so they have an attraction I'd say

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
If it has been mentioned already, I'm sorry. This is news to me anyway ;)

According to the new park map, Detonator has been renamed slightly to Detonator: Bombs Away. Looking at the map it also looks like the whole 'Amity' theme surrounding the KFC and Detonator looks to have gone and has been replaced with birds and the structures you might see in the game.

EthC

Mega Poster
Also Angry Birds 4D and the King Pig Dodgems both have fasttrack... yay (i think...) for shoddy throughputs!!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Jordanovichy said:
If it has been mentioned already, I'm sorry. This is news to me anyway ;)

According to the new park map, Detonator has been renamed slightly to Detonator: Bombs Away. Looking at the map it also looks like the whole 'Amity' theme surrounding the KFC and Detonator looks to have gone and has been replaced with birds and the structures you might see in the game.

Nah, if you look at the map closely, the KFC building is next to the angry birds stuff, so it'll still be the same old theming. Detonator never really had any amity theming because it was in Calypso quay.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Mmmm I can see what you're saying...sorta...it does show that KFC is separate in the map...kinda...to be fair, the best theming around Amity is the shark in the KFC wall so if they get rid of that then they be daft. But surely they aren't going to have bird theme, bird theme, bird theme, massive random shark in the wall?

As for the detonator thing, I'll agree with you there, it's 'on the edge' lets say ;) calyspo quay never had anything really distinctive so at least the birds will bring some colour.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
The only 'theming' they're adding to angry birds land is the entrance signs, which is what you can see on the map, I'd be surprised if any of the building facades changed at all, maybe a basic coat of paint for the 4D cinema.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Maybe they can close an area off ;) ok, this is just a fence Thorpe Park Mania retweeted on Twitter, enjoy it.

Bin4v3qIUAAI4Xf.jpg

EDIT: Thorpe Park Mania have also been tweeting a few more pics:

Detonator has got a new sign!
Bis9qQ6IcAAi4Zj.jpg

The buildings around the new Angry Birds land have had a paint job
Bis_yK6IMAAaYuC.jpg

BitFK9kIAAAUcvD.jpg

The new dodgems are coming along...extremely slowly it would appear
BitE7fVIMAAVqBJ.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
It's cringe, but I think it looks so much fresher than what it looked like before. Nice to see that they're actually making a bit of an effort...

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
That's the thing though, it ISN'T a bit of effort. This is probably the most basic thing they could do to create the "land". They haven't even bothered to give Detonator a new logo that fits in with Angry Birds so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ The sign might not be completely finished. It probably is, but we can't judge it completely until it's totally finished.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, it's crap, but I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up. It's a cheap do-over during an "off" year. There'll be a proper new addition to fapp over next year.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
gavin said:
Yeah, it's crap, but I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up. It's a cheap do-over during an "off" year. There'll be a proper new addition to fapp over next year.
Because it's damaging to the long term progression of the park.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^How?

They can't add something big and expensive every year. It's not like the park is falling apart and in need of major repairs (yes, people will disagree here, but to an infrequent visitor, there's nothing majorly wrong with it that needs immediately fixing), unlike another park just down the road. This isn't taking the place of anything decent and causing any damage. It's a cheap bit of crap that's been chucked up and that's easily removable in a couple of years.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
i really dont like the idea of this but if it means using the 4d cinema then my opinion it will supposedly look better at chessington but then mind you chessington is in ruins the only good thing there(even though i havent been there) it has to be zufari and vampire merlin are just destroying chessington.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I think the issue IS that's it's a cheap (cheep) bit of crap...

Like, there was nothing really wrong with them putting in a Dodgems and 4D Cinema and theming them to Amity Cove... But because of Varney's obsession with every ride must have an Unique Selling Point, we've had the Birds chucked on because it's a well-known USP and requires minimal effort for maximum reward...

Another reason would be that Thorpe, after years of pushing the Thrill Market and realising recently that it's not lucrative enough (being I think the 2nd worst if not THE worst performing Merlin park in line with Gardaland), then a quick fix was required... So as a further result it will feel rather tacked in and lacking any form of lifespan as it has not only had it's hey-day, but certainly isn't particularly timeless (i.e. Thomasland)...

It's not quite the same way as DIC Tussauds' method of being cheap for max income, but considering that area is (as mentioned) turning into Balamory (including literally painting over the old cannon hit wall of the arcade), rather than having any form of actual effort put into it (Detonator's new entrance posts are utterly bland and generic, I doubt they'll be improved much)... There is some validity to it...

They can have easily spent the money making the entrance half decent... Or making Storm Surge not ****... Or removing the Beach and making the entrance to the park nicer... Lots of options that weren't taken presumably because the feeling is that it won't make money...