What's new

Thorpe Park | Angry Birds | 4D Cinema/area retheme

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Are they going to have an Angry Birds Gift Shop? Better known as "Poundland" in most towns :wink:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Retheming Det is probably the biggest travesty...

And Merlin's obsession with IPs that have peaked of course...

Amazing how easily they can make a good idea (Dodgems and 4D Cinema returning for family market entry) into something that will be poorly designed and cheaply themed (cos Merlin)...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Just saw this, WTAF?!
I get the dodgems and the 4D, but the re-theme of Det is totally ****. Got absolutely nothing to do with it.

nealbie

CF Legend
For the first time in forever Merlin have got the correct IP!

Sounds fab. Seems that the Detonator retheme is only strategically placed birds and it HAS been in dire need of something for the last 5/6 years.

Excited to go see now. Plus DODGEMS!!!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Wooo I KNEW Thorpe had to do something this year, I can't remember a year when they haven't added/changed something reasonably significant in recent times. Plus I love Angry Birds. Can't wait for this :D

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I see the Chinese Whispers have started and some sites are reporting "a new 4,000sq/m attraction which features the full flock of feathered Angry Birds characters alongside a 100ft drop tower ride named Detonator" as if Detonator is new.

I also note that Thorpe have replaced their PR company! Interesting...

EthC

Mega Poster
Official website up! http://www.thorpepark.com/angrybirdsland/

Officially Angry Birds Land (original ;) ) While I love the fact that there is a new cinema and Dodgems!!! (dodgems are awesome) I am a tad worried about Detonator, I hope they don't ruin it, and I hope they keep the name Detonator just like " The Angry Birds Detonator" or something like that. Wonder what happens to Inferno now as its pretty much by itself with Rumba in calypso, will that see any change?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Robbie said:
I also note that Thorpe have replaced their PR company! Interesting...
That would make sense. All this Wizard nonsense seemed a little different. And as for the terms and conditions of their latest email - it's all gone a bit Innocent drinks

nealbie

CF Legend
Jesus people, it's an exposed fairground drop tower on a metal platform. The ride experience will not change in the slightest! :lol: :roll:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
Jesus people, it's an exposed fairground drop tower on a metal platform. The ride experience will not change in the slightest! :lol: :roll:

Have you not seen the plans?

They leave a random seat open on Inferno and the rider in that seat is flung towards Detonator in an attempt to knock it over onto the queue below, making them explode - all to the jolly happy tune and comical popping noises.

It's going to be fabtastic*!

*If a little bloody

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It's not confusing this U-Turn of marketing, because the THRILL CAPITAL stuff wasn't working for them at all (in comparison to the other parks, indeed, Thorpe was easily doing the worst out of the 4 Merlin UK parks)...

Just the way they're doing it is poorly done...

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
The idea is good but leave Detonator be! Be interesting to see how it all turns out, dodgems should be good though.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
It looks like a good idea, the 4D cinema and the Dodgem's are definitely a good idea, but it just seems wrong to include Detonator in the area. Seriously, why theme the least kid friendly ride in the park to a kids IP?! It makes zero sense. I just hope they don't put a nest ontop of the tower. In a way it's kinda good though, atleast it means Detonator won't be going anywhere for a while!

nealbie

CF Legend
silenthillXD said:
It looks like a good idea, the 4D cinema and the Dodgem's are definitely a good idea, but it just seems wrong to include Detonator in the area. Seriously, why theme the least kid friendly ride in the park to a kids IP?! It makes zero sense. I just hope they don't put a nest ontop of the tower. In a way it's kinda good though, atleast it means Detonator won't be going anywhere for a while!

Is this what everyones issue is? Because Angry Birds is NOT a "kids IP". At least not exclusively.

Next time you get the chance (anyone), ask your mates and see how many of them have any Angry Birds app on their phone or tablet. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The game certainly isn't a kid's IP, but the general appeal of the IP beyond the game is.

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
The game certainly isn't a kid's IP, but the general appeal of the IP beyond the game is.

I'm not so sure, especially having seen the massive amounts chavs and teens have spent trying to get hold of the red bird or the green pig on games stalls.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
I'm not so sure, especially having seen the massive amounts chavs and teens have spent trying to get hold of the red bird or the green pig on games stalls.

Yeah, that's not really proving your point is it Neal? :p

Kids (teens are still kids) and chav appeal - lovely ;)

Not that I actually care one bit by the way. They could turn Det into a giant dildo or an enormous Meccano bolt for all I care :lol:

Pierre

Strata Poster
The only people who are going to oppose to these plans are goons.

This will generally go down an absolute storm.

The guys at Rovio must be **** laughing at what has stemmed from an app that initially cost 69p.