What's new

The TV we watch...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Episode 3 and the whole of season 2 - you're in for a treat (Moriarty :) ).
Season 3 wasn't so good I thought - but then Mrs Howie liked that one the best.
The one-off is ok, but this latest series is bang on form.
But hey, I like Ewoks, so what do I know? (Just thought I'd get that in before Furie or Morton does..)

Yeah, you know nothing Howie Snow. It was so far up it's own backside,it caused Martin Freeman to break a hole in the universe where all his complete and utter ****ness exploded in a deluge of rank half digestive bollocks. Even the fantastic Sandbatch Congleton couldn't save it from vanishing into it's own dubious black hole. Prior to that, it was fab.

Judging by Facebook everyone else has also been watching A series of unfortunate events. OMG, how incredible is this adaptation?

I read some of the books many years ago and loved their style and I think this series totally nails it. The score, the way it's filmed, the cast - everything is pretty much perfect. I think it takes until at least half way through the second episode to really find its stride so if you haven't watched it yet, give it until at least ep 3 before disregarding it.

I really enjoyed it. First couple of episodes were a bit of a chore, but I've been subjected to the audio books and film on long journeys with both kids now for over ten years. Once it got away from "The Bad Beginning", it was into territory I knew less and there was enoug of a subtle change from the prior works to make it really entertaining. Loved the style of the thing, so well designed.

I've really been enjoying QI recently.
All in all a lovely way to spend half an hour!

Half an hour? It's all about QI XL and 45 minutes!

I don't usually post here, but the first episode of Taboo aired last week and it already has me hooked. It's dark, dank and mysterious. Tom Hardy's character is menacing and very secretive, with flashes into his past that do more than hint at his disturbed mental state and the misdeeds he likely committed. I also like the early London 1800's setting and plot centered around the powerful East Indian Trading Company pursuing his family's plot of land that's effected by the British Empire's negotiations with the newly formed American government regarding the Canadian border.
I don't know if it will get a huge cult following that other FX original series like Sons Of Anarchy, American Horror Story, Fargo, etc. have, but it's a mini series and won't need those numbers to reach it's conclusion.

I'll have to look out for that, it's the kind of thing Madame_Furie likes too.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
xsjfNgU.jpg

It's back around October apparently, cannot wait.

Ben

CF Legend
YASSSS STRANGER THINGS YASSSS.

I liked Series of Unfortunate Events a lot.

I am watching Santa Clarita Diet which I really like.

Thanks.

peep

CF Legend
Binged through A League of Gentlemen last weekend. I had only seen bits before but love most things those guys do so finally sat down and watched the whole lot. I kinda wish they hadn't done the third series, they sort of killed off all the decent characters by the end of the second series so didn't really have any decent characters to follow in the third series. I loved what they were trying to do though, it was just a bit weak due to the characters they had to work with.

Iron Fist
Urgh, I loved the whole Marvel/Netflix cross over appeal but Jessica Jones was very meh, then Luke Cage was awful and now this. The only redeeming feature was Rosario Dawson, she has been the most interesting and consistent character throughout all 4 shows. It did keep making me question why she wasn't just introducing them all pretty much straight away considering she couldn't stop referencing the others.
"Oh I have this friend that has issues with the same group of peeps but lets not get him involved because reasons".

13 reasons why
This is such a phenomenal show, I loved the whole thing. It's not perfect, it spends too much time on some bits and not enough on others, some characters barely exist which is also odd. Overall I think it's the most engaging thing I've ever seen on the subject and I can't stop thinking about it which is... distracting. I kinda wished there was a 14th ep to tie up a few plot lines, if they do another series it'd take it too far (no idea if this is their plan).

Hutch

Strata Poster
^I'm on the third episode of 13 Reasons, and I'm hooked! I really enjoy the fun mystery aspect, and obviously the tone is rather depressing. It's been a while since I've gone through an engaging drama, so it's nice to have this.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Hey guys,
Not sure if the below have been mentioned but these are the shows that I'm currently watching.

Riverdale - Modern twist on the Archie comics, really enjoying it so far. Plus the critics are enjoying it too.

13 Reasons Why- Need I say more.

Wayward Pines- Bit behind here, season 1 was amazing, season 2 is ok so far but nothing is standing out so far.

Younger- It stars Hilary Duff, don't let that put you off though, it's actually really good.

Pretty Little Liars- I've been watching this ever since it first aired in 2010, and this year is when it comes to an end. It's been an epic journey trying to find out with A is and with the last season airing atm, I'll be sad to see it go.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Binged through A League of Gentlemen last weekend. I had only seen bits before but love most things those guys do so finally sat down and watched the whole lot. I kinda wish they hadn't done the third series, they sort of killed off all the decent characters by the end of the second series so didn't really have any decent characters to follow in the third series. I loved what they were trying to do though, it was just a bit weak due to the characters they had to work with.

I liked that they spotted that it was becoming "catch phrase comedy" and tried to go in a new direction and not just follow the easy route. It didn't work, but it was better than just repeating the same old crap. First two series are fantastic though :)

Iron Fist
Urgh, I loved the whole Marvel/Netflix cross over appeal but Jessica Jones was very meh, then Luke Cage was awful and now this. The only redeeming feature was Rosario Dawson, she has been the most interesting and consistent character throughout all 4 shows. It did keep making me question why she wasn't just introducing them all pretty much straight away considering she couldn't stop referencing the others.
"Oh I have this friend that has issues with the same group of peeps but lets not get him involved because reasons".

I really liked Jessica Jones, not sure what you were watching :p

Luke Cage was brilliant the first few episodes, but then went rapidly into dull territory.

Iron Fist was just slow, dull and didn't seem to really go anywhere or do anything.

All of the series follow a very simple process (except Jessica Jones). Hero arrives. Meets friends/bad guys. Hero upsets bad guys so the big boss gets involved. Big boss turns out not to be big boss after all and is written out of the series halfway through. Friends turn out to be enemies really. Hero takes a beating and has to go away and find themselves. Hero returns and defeats real big boss.

It's a shame because Cottonmouth is a great character in Luke Cage. Apart from Iron Fist, they all start off with promise to be fair. I think part of the issue is that they tie themselves down to 13 episodes. Really, they should be flexible and allow the series to be the length it needs to be so there's less filler. Marvel aren't the only culprits in the superhero TV show arena culpable of this though. Every DC one struggles to fill a full season.

peep

CF Legend
I think I found Jessica Jones as a character to be too unlikable and that deterred me from the get-go. Then it felt like the series was quite repetitive? I can see what they were trying to do with Killgrave but I just didn't find it engaging in any way.

Luke Cage was really dull, I felt like nothing really happened and then the last few eps with the second villain are just a complete tonal shift and felt silly?

People who made Iron Fist are blaming production scheduling for it's lame fights etc but I feel like that's a lame excuse? The problem was with the script, it was just really bad. I totally agree about the amount of episodes, they should just work with however long they think it needs to fit the story, rather than stretching or cramming it into 13.

Also, just seen that League of Gentleman is getting an anniversary special, intrigued to see what they come up with.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I with you there furie. I really enjoyed Daredevil (I wonder if it had extra magic because it was the first one?), and did enjoy Jessica Jones (although more for Kilgrave than Jones, if I'm being honest). I'm halfway through Luke Cage now, and it doesn't quite have the same spark. I am enjoying it, but not as much as the others.

I intend on watching Iron Fist, if only just to keep up with the universe and in the hope that the Defenders will be good. Plus, for more Claire Temple (or rather, Rosario Dawson). <3

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I think the problem with Iron Fist is that the main character constantly felt like one of those "gap yah" types. All the talk of Chi and kung fu just made him seem like a bit of an entitled :emoji_zipper_mouth:, and then every episode was basically

"Iron Fist, don't do that!!"
*Iron Fist does the thing anyway*

I think I would have prefered this season was a bit of a wasted opportunity not to be more of a build up to the Defenders. At least have some sort of hints/mention every now and then of what they're doing etc.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Watching the new season of RuPaul's Drag Race and holy hell was this past episode pretty sad.

Beyond that, been watching the new season of Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia and a handful of others that nobody most likely cares about.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ It was only sad because Cynthia didn't get her cucu sent home when she should have.

Not enjoying this series so far. It's like bland Season 7 all over again.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I do feel she should have been sent home, but Eureka instead was pretty sad to me.

It does have the same feel from season 7, but with a pinch more background drama.

Was very glad to see Kimora go though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I think I found Jessica Jones as a character to be too unlikable and that deterred me from the get-go. Then it felt like the series was quite repetitive? I can see what they were trying to do with Killgrave but I just didn't find it engaging in any way.
I really wanted to like Jessica Jones. On paper it looks smart and understated, has a strong female lead and it's got Tennant as the baddie. But I feel like there was no big story arc. Every week just seemed to bumble along and you got to the end of an episode without really caring what happened next. There was so much build up in the first few episodes about the thing with her house and the memory stick. And then just...nothing really came out of it and the goal posts kept changing. Sad really because I actually liked her being so unlikeable and thought it had potential.

The League of Gentleman is comedy gold BTW. It's getting on a bit now but I still can't hang my washing out without asking Dave if he wants a peg.

jayjay

Giga Poster
On the subject of League of gentlemen, anyone remember Psychoville? A black sitcom starring Reece and Steve from LoG revolving around a host of varied characters that all get intertwined in a disturbing story. It was excellent as a comedy and a thriller, but didn't seem to get massively well known.

peep

CF Legend
^I was going to ask if that is worth a watch. I remember seeing bits of it around the time it aired but never sat down to watch it. It's on Netflix so was thinking about giving it a go.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I loved Psychoville. Rewatched it all about a year ago. Definitely worth a watch.

Sandman

Giga Poster
On the subject of League of gentlemen, anyone remember Psychoville? A black sitcom starring Reece and Steve from LoG revolving around a host of varied characters that all get intertwined in a disturbing story. It was excellent as a comedy and a thriller, but didn't seem to get massively well known.

I'm literally re-watching it at this very moment. Absolutely brilliant stuff! It's a rare show in that I actually enjoy every character arc in it. Definitely in the same vein as the original 2 series of League of Gentlemen!

mouse

Giga Poster
Psychoville was brilliant, definitely my favourite thing the League of Gentlemen guys have done.
Has anyone been watching the 3rd series of Broadchurch which has just finished? Despite being slightly disappointed by the ending I really enjoyed the series as a whole.
Also been re-watching Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, a 70s/80s horror series spoof. Don't think it was that popular when first aired but has a bit of a cult following now. It's brilliant, definitely worth a watch if you're into dark comedy, parodies or 70s horror.