What's new

The Games we play...

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Just thought I'd post a little recommendation (well quite the opposite really).

Need for Speed Pro Street. Garbage to say the least. The graphics for what the PS3/XBox 360 can handle are very very poor, just too grainy and in places similar quality to an early PS2 game. Don't let the adverts deceive you into thinking "Wow, that looks great", because it isn't by a long way.

For what the series has set out to achieve in earlier games has been clearly wiped away in this latest version, with an EA attempt at Gran Turismo and failed miserably. I've never been so dissappointed in a game to be honest. All the fun features of NFS have just simply gone and been replaced by something that you would play in an arcade for £2 a race.

Luckily, I bought Call of Duty 4 on the same day which has kept me very happy. I was worried that the jump from WW2 to modern day may kill this series, but in fact, you could argue that it's made them better. The graphics are simply stunning and the actual gameplay is sensational in places, an amazing stroryline. I hear the career mode is quite short though but the online play compensates for this loss, guess I will try that out soon enough.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I played the NFS demo, and was far from impressed.

It's a shame because the first NFS:U was a superb game. It was fresh, fun and a superb game overall. EA though put it through the yearly churn machine and out popped another version, the same as previous years with a few "additional modes" to try and make it more interesting. The fact is, you're playing the same game as you were 5 years ago, with slightly better graphics, and to be honest, there has to be more effort put in.

The thing I hated most were the crashes. When I come off the road at 200 MPH and flip 12 times, I want to feel the car smash into the ground, see the body fold and crumple, have the impact affect the momentum. I've been a little spoiled by Dirt perhaps, but NFS:pS it just felt like you were a ping-pong ball, bouncing along a table. The damage done was nothing compared to the speed and ferocity of the impact. It just ruined the whole thing - crashing is a pain, as it means you're screwed, so you need to take at least a little pleasure from it...

Last really great NFS game was Hot Pursuit 2 for the PS2. That was so fast, and so much fun, absolutely wicked game play! :)

spicy

Giga Poster
Mackem Lad said:
Luckily, I bought Call of Duty 4 on the same day which has kept me very happy. I was worried that the jump from WW2 to modern day may kill this series, but in fact, you could argue that it's made them better. The graphics are simply stunning and the actual gameplay is sensational in places, an amazing stroryline. I hear the career mode is quite short though but the online play compensates for this loss, guess I will try that out soon enough.

Second that, brilliant game I was hooked as soon as I started playing it.

It is a little short though, short but ****ing sweet.

I am completely addicted to Fifa 08 online at the moment, its brilliant beating real people and you can tell they are getting rather pissed off :lol:

I am bit disappointed by the negative reviews of NFS:pS though, I loved NFS: most wanted.

Echoes

Mega Poster
I don't think I would say that Pro Street is EA's version of Gran Turismo. NFS games have always been fun, but arcade-based at the same time, with police, driving on the street, crashbreakers, etc. Gran Turismo is, and always will be, a hardcore simulator. You'll never see a screenshot of GT where some guy is running from a police helicoptor while dodging traffic.

I'm excited to check out Call of Duty though. I've heard mixed reviews, but looks really fun. Seems to be more campaign-based than Halo, which is obviously focused on the online multiplayer. Can I download the demo from the marketplace?

mrclam

Giga Poster
robertw said:
Hmm... but am I right in thinking that every Wii made still sells out instantly? It's certainly still that way here. So how much does it really mean if someone else is selling more than you? Just that they can make their product faster than you?

Nope.. it means there's a whole years worth of unsold ps3 stock on the shelves.

I played the NFS demo, and was far from impressed.

Blurgh - a chavvy game for chavs.. Who want nothing more than endless generic racing games.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I used to have that Clammy! It was, erm... God, it was boring...

I had two mates who were really into fishing. One of them bought that and brought round a copy on a C15.

The three of us sat there for 20 minutes waiting for a light to flash. When the Spectrum finally loaded, we wished it hadn't.. Or I did. They thought sitting and waiting for bugger all to happen staring at the screen was a great evening's entertainment. I sloped off for a beer! :)

You can enjoy the fun and excitement yourself here:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0002563

Don't hurt yourself chaps! :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
Civilisation IV, I haven't played this game since the very first version on MS-DOS. Which is yonks ago, so downloaded the demo and its amazing, im quite addicted to it at the moment, got it off play.com for £10 (71% off its RRP price, bargain). Comes tomorrow hopefully.

robertw

Roller Poster
Super Tux Kart.

This is a game I've been following for over a year, and I've always thought of it as a simple Mario Kart clone that was fun, but didn't really do anything special. That all changed a couple of weeks ago when I downloaded a brand spanking new version from SVN featuring the bullet physics engine for in game collision handling. The game instantly felt completely different, and very, very fun. Little bumps send you spinning through the air, explosions send you flying, and you can drive huge straights with your car upside down. I'm happy to say there's now Windows and Mac binaries for this version, so if you're a fan of Mario Kart, have an older (stable) version of the game, or are just looking for a free, fun game, you should try this.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=242841

This game isn't stable, it's development. The AI pretty much sucks, sometimes your car will get stuck and you'll need to call for a rescue, and the program crashes sometimes, but in my eyes the core gameplay is so good, it's worth it. :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone other than me and LOL got the Burnout Paradise demo?

I had a quick burn with him last night (until the baby woke up and needed settling), and it's great fun.

It's more "repeat ad infinitum - this years update", but it's now significantly different I think, and the online play is so simple, it's glorious!

SO everyone else with a PS3, get the demo, and let's play (over the holidays, I'm going away this weekend :lol: ).

A

Anonymous

furie said:
Anyone other than me and LOL got the Burnout Paradise demo?

I had a quick burn with him last night (until the baby woke up and needed settling), and it's great fun.

It's more "repeat ad infinitum - this years update", but it's now significantly different I think, and the online play is so simple, it's glorious!

SO everyone else with a PS3, get the demo, and let's play (over the holidays, I'm going away this weekend :lol: ).
Wooo! I've just discovered this thread. I'm surprised this isn't a sticky??

Burnout: Paradise is awesome! I downloaded it on Live a couple of days ago and wasn't sure about it when I first played it cos there wasn't any classic Burnout takeouts?! But I'm guessing (hoping) it just wasn't included on the demo.
There's also a demo of Kane & Lynch on Live now too, it's not really impressive, but it's pretty fun and REALLY reminds me of IO's previous game Freedom Fighters because of the way you command troops.

Jer

Strata Poster
Ace Combat 6

I just got it from gamefly today and by mission 3 I had lost track of time. The game is solid your an aircraft pilot delivering support to gorund units by destroying tanks, or bomber in the sky as you defend Emmeria (hmm?) against Eukoslavia (soviets). The voice acting...horrible and they repeat themselves constantly, for example "my husband is an aircraft pilot" then one misson later "My husband the aircraft pilot has crashed" :D get the picture. The Story...aweful aka it sucks and seems too bad, happy people of emmeria are being attacked by meanies in eukoslavia becuase their country sucks. Game play...Unbeliveable the sense of height, and speed, and realisim with the planes is phenominal. The controls have an extremely steep learning curve but once you get past that it's almost like clock work.

Bottom line:

If you like watching airstrikes, you'll love preforming them

Ben

CF Legend
I got Mario Galaxy for Xmas and so far I've only played the first set of Galaxies (observatory?... **** knows), but I love it. A lot.

It reminds me of first playing Mario 64 years and years ago. And that's one hell of a good thing. It's just ultimate fun.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Super Mario Galaxy is so much fun =D. After Sunshine i didn't expect such a great game, the level design is fantastic.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I too echo Mario Galaxy.

Sunshine was pants, but Galaxy is like Mario 64 with some of the old school stuff thrown in...when it flips to the 2 1/2 D screens, it's ace.

The only drawback I have is that I don't like the Lumas. I wish Nintendo would do a standard type of Mario game without having to indroduce more cuddly, annoying characters.

kimahri

CF Legend
After surprisingly getting a wii for christmas I got bored of it after 4 hours.

which is shorter than the champain for gears of war but any way.

except mario, zelda, metroid and all the other crap.

what games would people recommend?

I'm thinking of getting rayman raving rabbids, and 2 GC. Ikaruga and Eternal Darkness.

so suggestions plzkthnx

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^aren't you a bit disappointed?

I haven't got a Wii, but I have played on one and the are very fun. Saying that though I would not want one. Don't you feel really upset that someone has gone to all the trouble and expense to get you one, and you don't like it. I'd feel really upset. What's worse is the person that got it for you thinks you will and do really like it. :( Sorry I can't help you with games though.

I would recommend Stuntman Ignition for PS2. It's a great game, and there is lots to do. You can pass a stunt on one star, but to unlock the good stuff you have to get up to five stars. It's quite a complicated system, but you get used to it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I've been busy jumping round like an idiot on Guitar Hero 3 recently...

Making the infamous jump from easy to medium... Urgh...

Excellent songs on it as well...

Wii <3