What's new

The Games we play...

I thought it would be Easter before we saw the price drop* - it was inevitable though.

I hope they do something similar to Nintendo when they did the early price drop on the 3DS - a nice load of freebies to early adopters to say sorry.

*And then I thought it would be through a game pack-in, not an actual price drop

Still been busy with Arkham City, really enjoying it. The new Arkham Knight game seems pretty awesome as well.

I took advantage of Nintendo's offer on Pokemon this month, and got Pokemon Y for free. :D Haven't started playing it yet, but this week I'm flying to Colorado, so it should keep me busy on the plane. :) The only other Pokemon game I actually got into was on GBA, and that was several years ago!

Re: RE: The Games we play...

I'll have a proper review of game when I finish, but South Park: Stick of Truth is going to be one of the few RPG's I finish and then play again. It is so crude and amazing, I absolutely love it and can't wait for my next go around to be a Jew. Seriously hilarious game.

Been playing Uncharted 3 as it was free. It's bloody brilliant so much better than the 2nd one.

The story is great as are the graphics.

It must have been better than the second, as I gave up on the second in the snowy mountains. I found a lot of it quite obvious and lots of quite repetitive bits.

However, the action set pieces were exciting and it was a very competent game. I wasn't as enamoured by it as I was the first, but it must have been good for me to play right through.

I started Tomb Raider last week as that was also free. It's okay, but it's like a mix of Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls and Uncharted. Like there was sudden realisation that those games have redefined story led adventures and they needed to nab the best bits to reignite Tomb Raider.

It's wonderful because Uncharted was the "fresh start" the Tomb Raider type of games required and rightly stole Laura's crown. So it taking the best bits from Sony's two best exclusive game series and putting it into Tomb Raider was a sound move. I don't think it's as good as either series, but it's still a decent game :)

I bought Knack for the PS4 two weekends ago and I've been playing through it with Maxi-Minor_Furie. It's a pretty simple, dull, repetitive game, much like the Lego games with similar series of corridors/rooms with the same walk in, beat things up, collect the remains, move on kind of thing. Only it doesn't have puzzles you can only complete by going back (but you need to replay to unlock all the different gadgets and enhancements for Knack).

It's essentially very bland, with a very obvious and poorly written story. It's definitely a kid's game though. It's designed to be a simple. cartoon pleasure for children starting to look at gaming. I like that multiplayer has the player as Knack as the lead who does everything, and the second player is essentially an invisible helper. The idea being that an adult can come in to help their kid play through any bits they're struggling with, but without taking the glory.

It's not a good full price early next gen release (like say, Heavenly Sword was for the PS3 - a game which is still great today), but it was worth the £25 I paid and it's given the two of use lots of really good family gaming time together. We enjoyed it more than Lego Marvel on the PS4.

I'm still bumbling through GT6 too, I load it up for twenty minutes every day to grab some races. It's more like farming than anything else. Racing to keep my multiplier in so I can earn enough money to buy a car I may need in the future. I find it all kind of futile, but every so often a race or car does give something back.

Downloaded Tomb Raider as well but that will wait.

Gt6 has sort of come to an end for me now.

Really cannot be bothered with 24 min races where the tyres keep going and it always rains. Or you just drive on hard tyres in the rain let everyone else stop 5 times to your two stops and win by miles.

Plus I was playing for the senna stuff which never showed up apart from a race suit.

Apart from improved graphics tbh this was the easiest gt game yet. It's more of a Sunday drive round done tracks where the other cars slow down and let you win. It's not a racing game it's just a game that let's you drive fast cars with no challenge.

They really need to up the racing side of it.

I am just happy it was cheap :)

I'm really waiting for the course creator now, so I can map my drive to work and back and then see just how realistic it is :)

I think the biggest issue is that you're right, the cars slow down, so if you cock up a corner and lose ground, you just catch up. The problem being that although it will slow cars down, it won't let them break the car models in terms of how fast they can go or how they will handle.

So if you're in a much more powerful car and make a mess of things, they'll slow to let you catch up, but then they have no hope of ever being able to catch you again. 15+ minute races are also my idea of a nightmare, particularly in these cases. It's either 20 laps ahead all on your own, or you use a low powered car to make it a challenge, cock up at the last bend and end up in tenth after 15 now wasted minutes.

I hate to admit it, but the rewind function on Forza makes it much more playable. It makes each race much more like the challenges, where if you make a mess of a move, you rewind and try again to perfect it. It's just a shame that Forza's difficulty is as lacking as GT6's so you still end up winning by huge margins, but cleanly...

No doubt it'll make it worse again...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wish the season events let you drive the car rather than the need to go and buy one for one race.

Still no senna cars in the update! I've emailed them and heard back saying they don't know when it will be added.

Some of them you won by doing stuff. I went back to gold all six of the first two sets of invites at Goodwood to get two cars for them. Yes, it's annoying though - as is the fact you can't find a viable car if you don't have one for an event. You need to go to the recommended cars thing and just got they have one - which they don't always. So then you have to head to the dealers, work out the country of manufacture and then try and find the right particular model out of 400. Why not, at "pick a car for this event" stage not let you open the dealership with just the cars for that event?

Even worse, there have been instances where I have the car, but due to upgrades it's over the pp limit and doesn't show - even though you could just take off a part and race.

It's hard to believe it's actually an improvement over gt5 - but it really is...

You can't do that though until you've gone to an event to drive the car, reduce it and then quit and go to the event you want.

Anyone who had ever complained about CFs poor user design needs to spend an hour with a GT game to learn what an annoying interface really is.

I've looked, but didn't realise there was a detune option lol

It still sucks :p

I just can't work out how to edit the car load out without entering an event or race of some kind first. I must be missing an option somewhere to edit the details from the garage?

You get in the car then go back to the first page and select edit settings I think it was. Will look tomorrow if you cannot find it.

I just tend to turn the power down from 100% if it's just a bit over.

Point stands, it would still be much easier to just have it either as part of the garage (or is it a showroom - garage suggests a workshop too, showroom where you pick a car :p ) or when you enter an event. It's just very poor design that means you have lots of back and fourth in and out of areas and spend more time faffing than you do racing :p

Forza is much easier. When you enter a race your car is now too powerful for, it says "do you want to make it less powerful automatically?" and then it does it. That's really annoying on Forza though as every part you change alters the PP rating. So if you've taken a ridiculous muscle car and used suspension and a split diff to tame the thing, but also upped the intake - it can remove the handling components and leave the car too fast.

On the poor [GT6] user interface, when you're modifying your car, playing with the suspension setup, etc. - why is does the O button take you all the way back? It should be a stepped process. You press X to go into the setup, X to go into - say - Drivetrain, but then O takes you right back to the race menu (and to "Race" by default - ARGGGH!). If you step into an interface with so many clicks, you should step out by the same number.

It's like the interface designers took everything anybody ever wrote about interface design and deliberately ignored it!!!