What's new

The best drop towers in world

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oh this one's easy peasy, it's the Haunted Mine Drop at Glenwood Caverns. It just is.
Or at least it was. I sincerely hope it opens again at some point.
To be fair, most drop towers still scare me to some extent, but the HMD at Glenny C is best one I've done by a country mile. Such a cool concept, so unique and an amazing feat of engineering.

Ikaros at Grona Lund gets an honourable mention though as the best of the rest, with shout-outs to Hurakan Condor at Port Aventura, Atmosfear at Liseberg and Scream at Heide Park.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I'm sure I probably have a glaring omission, but in rough order, here is my top ten:

1. Ikaros (Grona Lund) - The setting, the facedown drop, the late braking, the swinging. It's just easily the best.
2. Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom (SFMM) - The view is pretty astonishing and the shaking of the vehicle at the top is terrifying. And the drop just feels like it never ends.
3. Orlando FreeFall - Feels weird to include this one given its history. It's location meant that you could see forever, but couldn't see much of anything sepcial, which is a big reason why it's not ranked higher.
4. Falcon's Fury (BGT) - I really do love the facedown drop, but it doesn't have the scenery or late braking that Ikaros features.
5. Giant Drop (Dreamworld) - Just a colossal drop. Major bonus points goes to the 30+ second hold at the top to really build the anxiety.
6. Mystery Castle (Phantasialand) - Where it lacks in a true freefall, it makes up with the amazing theming and ride program.
7. Atmosfear (Liseberg) - The location at one of the highest points in the park makes it feel even higher than it already is. And the view of Gothenburg is fantasic.
8. XScream (Waldameer) - No pause at the top, but no warning of when you are dropping either. Terrifying.
9. Pitt Fall (Kennywood) - If you were facing the parking lot, it felt like a normal drop tower, but facing the ravine was something special.
10. Zombieland Blast Off (MotionGate) - A fairly standard S&S combo tower, but I'm a big fan of movie and loved the theming.

And how am I the first person to throw Mystery Castle into the conversation?

Mattlighting

Roller Poster
It's got a lot of mentions but the Tower of Terror in DS in Florida has to be one of the best. It just knows how to ratchet up the tension. However, having finally gotten out to California this year I actually really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout. I know people were upset losing the ToT but I really enjoyed the whole thing and liked that they made it a more 'fun' experience rather than just slapping the name on and walking away.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh this one's easy peasy, it's the Haunted Mine Drop at Glenwood Caverns. It just is.
Or at least it was. I sincerely hope it opens again at some point.
To be fair, most drop towers still scare me to some extent, but the HMD at Glenny C is best one I've done by a country mile. Such a cool concept, so unique and an amazing feat of engineering.

Ikaros at Grona Lund gets an honourable mention though as the best of the rest, with shout-outs to Hurakan Condor at Port Aventura, Atmosfear at Liseberg and Scream at Heide Park.
I'm debating a visit to Glenwood Caverns in the summer. It'd have to be done as a day trip from Denver, so it'll be a whole day thing with long bus rides. If Mine Drop opens before then, it'll definitely tip me in the "definitely going" direction.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Detonator still remains my favourite. It just works, and is a ton of fun, despite its comparatively small size.

Highlander is second favourite. No doubt helped slightly by me having a solo ride in 3⁰ temperatures and pouring rain to add to the atmosphere.

Bigger doesn't always mean better, but I guess MUCH bigger can do the trick.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I’m here cuz I’m slightly triggered by people saying Dentonator gives ejector air.

Detonator gets a speed boost at the start, but the carriage still falls at a freefall rate. So it’s still “0G”, after the initial push. It just goes from 1G to 0G quicker. It is not ejector air as such.

S&S/ToT gondolas are pulled down faster than true freefall, and can experience ejector air. But that takes away from the “tickle in your naval” feeling that you get from a proper freefall.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
I mostly only do drop towers when they are walk on - so I skipped quite a lot of them. But this is my list:

1. Ikaros - Gröna Lund: Falling faceing down is amazing
  2. Tower of Terror(s) - Disney: Its not just falling, the elevator drive system results in airtime when going down
  3. Scream - Heide-Park: Love it still

1. Detonator at Thorpe Park
2. Free Fall at Slagharen
3. Dalton Terror at Walibi Belgium
4. Fritt Fall at Grona Lund
5. Apocalypse at Drayton Manor
6. Anubis Free Fall Tower at Holiday Park
7. Space Vertigo at Gardaland
8. Drop Tower Scream Zone at Carowinds
9. Hangover at Hyde Park Winter Wonderland
10. Orlando Free Fall at Icon Park
11. Highlander at Hansa Park
12. Ikaros at Grona Lund
13. Mach Tower at Busch Gardens Williamsburg
14. Hurakan Condor at Port Aventura
15. Hollywood Action Tower at Movieland Park
16. Venom at West Midlands Safari Park
17. Doppelter Donnerbalken at Tripsdrill
18. Drop Tower at Kings Dominion
19. Scream at Heide Park
20. Falcons Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa
21. The High Fall at Movie Park Germany
22. Oil Tower 2 at Mirabilandia
23. Free Fall Tower at Ferrari Land (Port Aventura)

Not counting Tower of Terror as it's more a dark ride and Mystery Castle is absolutely a Shot tower; not a drop Tower 😉

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I'm debating a visit to Glenwood Caverns in the summer. It'd have to be done as a day trip from Denver, so it'll be a whole day thing with long bus rides. If Mine Drop opens before then, it'll definitely tip me in the "definitely going" direction.

Worth it.
Even if the Mine Drop isn't open, still a must-visit park. The Canyon Swing alone is just pure terror!
And the scenery from Denver - Glenwood is 👌

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Mystery Castle is just a complete experience, it somehow feels much larger than it is when you're on it too which gives it a few bonus points. Extra points for the genuine 'what is this thing?' feel when you first enter the chamber on your first ride.

Tower of Terror may not have the best drops, but the theming and overall experience is always a crowd pleaser. I've only done the Floridian and Parisian ones so can't comment on the GotG overlays.

Doctor Doom at IoA turns a pretty standard tower experience into a proper 1990s cheesy superhero cartoon, just like those from my childhood. Obviously I love that.

Apocalypse (RIP) in the standup floorless configuration was simply terrifying. Ok my first time I remember trying to focus on the castle (outside of the park) to call my nerves.

Matt N

CF Legend
If it counts as a drop tower, I’d say that Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios wins this for me, and quite comfortably at that.

It’s a stunningly themed ride, and I’ve also never experienced quite such brilliant unrestricted airtime on a drop tower as I did on Tower of Terror; the drops are surprisingly intense, and the shock value of my first ride was absolutely unrivalled!

If we’re excluding ToT, I’d probably say that either HangOver at Hyde Park Winter Wonderland or Falcon’s Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa wins the prize for me.

I’d also say that Venom at West Midlands Safari Park and Detonator at Thorpe Park could be in contention; I do love those Fabbri towers!

And in fairness, I would say that as much as I never quite identified with the extremely high level of hype for it, Apocalypse at Drayton Manor was also a very good tower.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
If we're counting it, then easily Tower Of Terror in Orlando. I'd consider it to be not just the best drop ride, but the greatest theme park attraction of all time.

Falcon's Fury is my favourite of the more traditional drop towers.

Drop towers like Detonator and HangOver stress me out. I hate being held at the top for an indefinite amount of time.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I do love Detonator because of the ejector airtime at the start, it really packs a punch. ToT and Mystery Castle take the cake for me though, with Hurakan Condor having the best views/fear factor for me.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Give me Gen 1 Intamin Drop Towers all day (which here in America is basically Demon Drop at Dorney). Extremely reridable, the preset countdown clock makes it easily approachable for the non drop tower lovers, and still a great pop of airtime.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
I haven’t ridden that many drop towers, but I would consider Huracan Kondor the most thrilling because of the height.

Even though there are many other drop towers which look to be better.

uwurawrus

Roller Poster
My favourite drop tower is (or rather, was) unfortunately, Orlando Freefall at Icon Park.

Usually with the tall drop towers you don't really feel anything but it's insane having a drop that feels like it lasts forever and have it actually pack a punch to it. The view was great, the tilt was funky and the brakes were really forceful and super low down.

On the converse I actually found myself quite disappointed with Tower of Terror at Walt Disney Studios; it's a great dark ride but I went in expecting a forceful tower with great airtime and was disappointed when the quality of the airtime ranged from non existent to weak floater. The restraint system is so freeing and I genuinely think people gaslight themselves into believing that the airtime is stronger than it actually is because of them.

Jolly Roger at Pleasurewood Hills is a Fabbri tower, much like Detonator at Thorpe Park but I found Jolly Roger to have a much more forceful drop. Honestly an incredible ride and if you sit on the side facing the op cabin or the one to the right of it you get an incredible view of the ocean!

Huracan Kondor is a great tower although I did only ride the stand up side, the height is really imposing and I love the sensation of standing up on a tower like that!

Mystery Castle at Phantasialand is such a cool experience it's impossible to not mention on this list. Really great shot upwards and the atmosphere inside the tower is fantastic.

Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa is another tower that rather disappointed me. The visual from the top is super cool but the drop isn't that forceful and the restraints are (understandably so!) very very bulky.

Last edited: