What's new

The best drop towers in world

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
What are the best drop towers in the world? What measures how good a drop tower is? The height, the speed, the intensity, the manufacturer, theming, capacity, restraints, location. What makes a drop tower standout for you? For me Intamin drop towers are by far the best and my favourite drop tower is Hurakan Condor. I find height, speed, intensity and location make a really good drop tower. The height is important because I find the fear factor to add excitement to the ride but speed and intensity are neccersery to get a big thrill. Theming and capacity are all ways a plus but aren't neccersery to make a great drop tower. What is your opinion?

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
While it isn't really a drop tower Liberty Launch at Holiday World is amazing because of the great airtime you get at the top. Mach Tower sucked so badly that the drop on Verbolten was better than it was. S & S Turbo Drops are okay but Intamin ones are amazing. I still haven't gotten out to SFMM to ride Lex and really want to ride Blue Fall so badly.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I'm yet to really ride a drop tower that I didn't find thrilling. The large Intamins are good, but the smaller Fabbri's are amazing (if a bit short), but they pack one **** of a punch.

And then there's Venom <3

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
The Tower of Terrors for theming, I like Drop Tower at Kings Dominion (I think it's the highest I've ridden don't know of the top of my head.) then I enjoyed Pagoda's Revenge at Leofoo Village, more for its looks than the ride itself, as it is pretty short.

bmac

Giga Poster
I find S&S towers extremely tame compared to intamins and some other manufacturers. There's an ARM that Morey's Piers has that's pretty awesome. Other than that I really need to find more drop towers...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intamin Gyro Drops have a nice, huge free fall. Acrophobia in SFoG is my favorite of these because of its seat tilting. S&S Shot Towers are ok, but because you aren't using natural freefall the sensation is very sudden and kinda blah.

My overall favorite has to be Demon Drop however, a 1st gen Intamin drop tower. Small drop, but supreme rerideability.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A few that I really like:

UFO, Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village - A huge Intamin gyro drop in a great location with amazing views over the Taiwanese countryside. The catch car is cool as well (looks like a UFO that "carries off" the passengers, complete with lights and sound effects).

Blue Fall, Hakkeijima Sea Paradise - Stupidly tall. Ridiculous thing really, considering there's not much else at the park.

Mega Drop, Gyeoungju World - A Fabbri tower, like Detonator only exactly twice the height

Disney Tower of Terror rides are just brilliant.

Apocalypse, Drayton - Probably the best flat ride in th UK.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
These are my favourite drop towers in no particular order :)

1. Scream @ Heide Park - gyro drop which surprised me at how good it was and loved the rotating as we went up to the top.
2. Detonator @ TP - smaller in comparison but still able to thrill.
3. Atmosfear @ Liseberg - the height of this is the stand out thing for me but also it was quite forceful too.
4. Giant Drop @ Dreamworld - height again as well as a great view from the top :)
5. Tower of Terror @ Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida - really amazing ride, impressive theming and my favourite ride at Disney in Florida.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
King's Island's drop tower is hands down my favorite. The view of the park and the surrounding area is great and the drop is long and powerful.

King's Dominion's is good as well, but it doesn't rotate and doesn't have the view.

Waldameer's drop tower is great because you can't tell when you're at the top. There is no pause - you just drop at a certain point. It's also quite rickety.

Superman: Tower of Power at Six Flags St. Louis is worth a mention due to its drop sequence. After lifting x number of coaches up the tower, they are dropped at different times in random order. It's quite a mind **** when you're one of the last coaches to drop.

Intricks

Strata Poster
And no memtion of Agorophobia or whatever it is called at Six Flags over Georgia?

Going up the hill is fun, then they let you sit and the ride ops may talk to you. Then you tilt outwards and wait some more, and then drop.

Watching the ground fly up at you was amazing. <3

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
^ You mean Ouch-my-balls:The Ride. :wink: I never could understand why any guy would willingly go on that thing, if it had a brake zone the size of Meh Tower then maybe but it basically looks like you are going to be suspending 4 times your weight by your crotch.

CoasterfanSWE

Roller Poster
I have only ridden two, Fritt Fall at Gröna Lund and Atmosfear at Liseberg. Both are rather amusing to ride, however I believe Fritt Fall is more entertaining despite being the shorter and additionally being at sea level. This is because the cars break further down. The view on both are really great though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
And no memtion of Agorophobia or whatever it is called at Six Flags over Georgia?

Going up the hill is fun, then they let you sit and the ride ops may talk to you. Then you tilt outwards and wait some more, and then drop.

Watching the ground fly up at you was amazing. <3

Hyde244 earlier into the topic said:
Agorophobia in SFoG is my favorite of these because of its seat tilting.

:wink:

It is a fantastic drop tower.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Detonator at Thorpe Park was so forceful, on of the best tower rides I have been on.
Cliffhanger, the S&S combo tower at Flamingo Land, is all so really good with lots of airtime.

I don't really like the Intamin one's they have very little airtime, not very forceful and it seems the bigger they are, the worst they are with Intamin.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Airtime is defined as the feeling of weightlessness or negative g-force, when gravity is perceived as zero and having no effect on riders.

Enthusiasts divide airtime into two categories - floater and ejector.

Floater airtime is the general feel of weightlessness, while ejector airtime is definitive negative g-force.

Detonator runs on a pneumatic system, where the ride gondola is launched at speeds faster than gravity, creating ejector airtime for riders (remember, ejector = negative g-force). S&S launch towers operate under the same basis.

Intamin drop towers in comparison do not use pneumatics, and let gravity do all the work. Since gravity is pulling the gondola and the riders at the exact same rate, riders feel floater airtime, not ejector airtime, as they are weightless.

As a result, Intamin drop towers actually have a longer period of sustained airtime than their pneumatic counter parts, as gondolas continue accelerating until they reach the brake run. Pneumatics, while they start out faster, slow much more quickly as well. As the pneumatic gondola slows, the ejector airtime ends as well.

Of the two many enthusiasts seem to prefer the Intamin freefall drop tower over the pneumatic launch, as is made evident by top picks in this thread.

To claim that the bigger Intamin towers get, the worse they are is false; higher drop towers means longer periods of sustained airtime.