What's new

Smoothest coaster?

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Defiantly Blue Fire. B&M's and Intamin's are also often smooth, but on pretty much all of them you can almost always feel some kind of rattle.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
_koppen said:
Defiantly Blue Fire. B&M's and Intamin's are also often smooth, but on pretty much all of them you can almost always feel some kind of rattle.

That rattle- I think it might be wheelspin. It only happens on the fast part of the track like Wild Eagle's first two valleys and Skyrush's long second corner, Maverick's faster corners, etc., etc. The wheels can't keep up with the train so they grind over the rails. That's my theory.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
IntaminToWin said:
That rattle- I think it might be wheelspin. It only happens on the fast part of the track like Wild Eagle's first two valleys and Skyrush's long second corner, Maverick's faster corners, etc., etc. The wheels can't keep up with the train so they grind over the rails. That's my theory.

Yes, that is correct.
Often when standing in line you can watch the ride get back to the station, and see what wheels will cause this, more than other wheels.

Mike

Giga Poster
Thirteen at Alton Towers has always been fantastically smooth when I've ridden it. Not the best ride out there, but surely one of the smoothest.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Raptor in Gardaland is sooo smooth. Or should I say all the B&M I've ridden were (Silver Star, SheiKra...). Although smoothness isn't the factor for coaster to rank higher for me

Taxi

Mega Poster
Skyrocket @ Kennywood. It feels like your coasting over a cloud, it's a glass-smooth coaster.