What's new

Skyline Park remove Sky Dragster after 3 years

Albo85

Roller Poster
I wonder what future hold for Mirabilandia.... investing so much money in a new Ducati themed area and never be able to open the main coaster.... after this news I highly doubt that Desmo race will ever see the light... That's sad! Unless they get refund from Maurer and build (in a few years) something good and reliable to replace Desmo race. but there's a very low chanche it's gonna end up like this.

iac17

Mega Poster
I wonder what future hold for Mirabilandia.... investing so much money in a new Ducati themed area and never be able to open the main coaster.... after this news I highly doubt that Desmo race will ever see the light... That's sad! Unless they get refund from Maurer and build (in a few years) something good and reliable to replace Desmo race. but there's a very low chanche it's gonna end up like this.
Desmo race opened last year, heck i even had the chance to ride it (waited 1+ hour for it and while queuing it broke down at least twice but it was open)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm pretty sure Ducati footed most of the bill for the new area. It was quoted to cost €25 million, while the entire spending budget for new attractions across the whole chain of Parques Reunidos was €30 million that year.

Bluegamesful

Roller Poster
The potential for these vehicles was great, using them for dark rides with their ability to stop, run forwards and backwards and produce a decent acceleration would make for great themed experiences. I also liked the fact, that the restraints was certified to go upside down and all. Sadly after the failed prototype I doubt anyone who could do something fun with it will never invest in the idea.

Albo85

Roller Poster
Desmo race opened last year, heck i even had the chance to ride it (waited 1+ hour for it and while queuing it broke down at least twice but it was open)
If I remember correctly after a huge delay it only opened for 2 days at the end of July then was no longer available... There are no signs for it opening this year either... I never expected to be a triple A world class coaster but a nice addition to the park nonetheless... what you all think it’s gonna happen next?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I recall when this was announced that Maurer intended to use the base design for both thrill rides and material handling applications. I wonder if the material handling applications were the main design focal point and someone basically said "it'd be easy to turn this into a thrill ride," which is ultimately leading to these problems, or if they're experiencing issues on the material handling side of the product...if they've even had any customers, that is.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Skyline Park have confirmed that for the moment Sky Dragster will remain standing in the park. It may possibly still run every now and then, but there's no guarantee of this.
They are still involved in disputes with the manufacturer, which is why the coaster has not been dismantled yet. The park has had to deal with a 5-figure amount in maintenance costs per month.

Source

WC90

Roller Poster
I'm pretty sure Ducati footed most of the bill for the new area. It was quoted to cost €25 million, while the entire spending budget for new attractions across the whole chain of Parques Reunidos was €30 million that year.
I apologize for my improvised English and for this OT but i have some words to spend.

It was quoted to cost €25 million but it wouldn't be the first time Mirabilandia inflates the actual amount it spent. For example, Divertical was quoted for €20 millions but in none financial statements was present such a large amount of expenses. Someone suggested that the actual expense was only 6-7 millions for the naked coaster and maybe 1 or 2 for other expenses. If Parque Reunidos only spent 30 millions (but i don't know how they actual pay their attractions), even with Steel Curtain in these 30 millions, i think it's clear that someone is a bit dishonest.

It wouldn't be sad. Considering how they treated park and coaster fans in the past (how knows what happened with divertical?) and that they already risked with a prototype, i think it would be a natural consequence.
Considering that even beforce covid 19 the only big invested planned in 5-6-7 years was an hotel, the demolition of desmo race maybe it's the only choice to get a real coaster in Italy, but i have no illusions.

Albo85

Roller Poster
I recently asked the park about the status of Desmo Race...
The Park answer (translated): due to the lockdown and the following closure of the borders didn't allow us to finish with implementation works for Desmo Race. We just started as soon as it was possible with extraordinary maintenance for this attraction and we count to have it fully operative soon!

UP87

Mega Poster
The title of this thread should be updated as the current information is that it won't be removed. It's really sad that Maurer tries to innovate but fails so hard (X-Car and Spike).