What's new

Six Flags Great America |"X-Flight"| B&M Wing Coaster

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Six Flags Great America |"X-Flight"| B&M Wing Coaster

That was already posted? I has no picture showing unless it happened a couple pages back....then my excuse is im mobile, and too lazy to track back as Im not an avid follower of this topic...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ethan

Strata Poster
No Jerry posted it further up on page 12. Never mind :/ Looks nice, shame about the lack of theming. I know it's not finished but there still won't be much.

I suppose simple isn't always bad.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Don't know if anybody's posted this, but here's a video of it testing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g66-3jcGv2k[/youtube]

Looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself. Although I wish they would have kept the keyhole thing on the barrel roll. Oh well, it still looks amazing.

Edit - Hope you don't mind that I embedded the video in your post. ECG

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
rollermonkey said:
Sorry, when I posted that I was on my iPad at a car dealership and that picture didn't load.
I was joking Chris. :wink:
Why do all my :p posts get misinterpreted? Damn mobile phones! :roll:

Intricks

Strata Poster

Well....im waiting for the tide to come in now :lol:

My opinion on this is torn. Is this gonna be another Swarm where it kinda glides throughout they layout, or surprise us like Wild Eagle did when after watching its first run.

marc

CF Legend

It's been said before these things ride very different to what they look like in a video.

This does seem slower than The Swarm but it's so hard to tell as its slowing down for the inline.

Intricks

Strata Poster

It is still below 5 and not around 20 or so perhaps?

JAMMYD777

Roller Poster
I think this will be very similar to The Swarm. When I first saw the testing video for The Swarm I was thinking; well maybe this isn't going to be so great.

Then I actually rode it and the speed was totally unexpected. Although I believe it is the experience that counts as I was blown away by how elegant and amazing it was.

That's what I believe this will turn out to be like. Elegant and graceful.

bdale24

Roller Poster
2012Jarrett wrote:
> Looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself. Although I wish they would have kept
> the keyhole thing on the barrel roll. Oh well, it still looks amazing.
>

Wait so they are not keeping the keyhole on the barrel roll?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
bdale24 said:
2012Jarrett wrote:
> Looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself. Although I wish they would have kept
> the keyhole thing on the barrel roll. Oh well, it still looks amazing.
>

Wait so they are not keeping the keyhole on the barrel roll?
It doesn't look like they are. It seems like something they would have had to do before testing started. I could be wrong, though.

bdale24

Roller Poster
Wait so they are not keeping the keyhole on the barrel roll?[/quote]
It doesn't look like they are. It seems like something they would have had to do before testing started. I could be wrong, though.[/quote]

Thats true, then again maybe theyre just slow and lazy and they didnt get it done yet. lol! But that would reallly suck if they didnt go through with it. This reminds me like the situation they had with Maverick at CP. They were going to put a low barrel roll thru the rocks and decided against it because they said it would be too intense. I say f that, I would of rode it for sure!

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ The trains on Maverick were putting too much stress on the track, therefore they replaced the twist with an S-bend.

The keyhole element WILL be there. As somebody has already pointed out, you can clearly see the two footers where the tower will stand. Now please... enough about the keyhole :/

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
bdale24 said:
This reminds me like the situation they had with Maverick at CP. They were going to put a low barrel roll thru the rocks and decided against it because they said it would be too intense. I say f that, I would of rode it for sure!
They did put the barrel roll in on Maverick, and people rode it (I think chief engineers etc), and I think it was deemed to be tolerable for riders, but it was putting a stupidly high stress on the trains, to they decided to remove it to prolong the life of the trains (and thus the cost long term).

I think ride will still have the key-hole element, but I suspect a piece of theming like that can be installed with relative ease, so they may have wanted to get the testing underway before starting it.

marc

CF Legend

I'm not so sure tbh, testing has started without the theming but they would need to do the testing again to make sure it clears etc.

Maybe it will get added next year but I can see this opening without it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We might need UC for this (or just anyone who knows more than me ;) ), but I don't know how much of the testing is actually making sure the theming works properly. The testing will be checking the track and trains are installed correctly and that all the sensors and control systems will be working. I would have thought adding theming like this could be done afterwards as it's unlikely to actually affect the operating of the coaster.

Just hypothesizing, and like I said I don't know a huge amount about how feasible adding theming afterwards is, I think I'm just wanting them to add it. :p

marc

CF Legend
Mind you they still have nearly a month to get it open.

I just find it strange as they will need to do all the clearance testing again etc, just seems a funny way round to do it.

CPcisco

Mega Poster
B&M doesn't do clearance testing with the actual train like most other companies do. They use a PVC shape that hangs on the track to check clearance like this one for Manta.

6rcg00abs3mvjen2pbc42u.jpg

Image from RCDB

So I have no doubt that Six Flags can still put the keyhole element in, I am just a little surprised that there isn't even a shell of a structure for it yet though.