What's new

Six Flags Great America |"X-Flight"| B&M Wing Coaster

Nick

Mega Poster
^ No I suppose intense isn't really the right word. But it does look more intense than the other wingriders I think. Compared to the speed that The Swarm and Wild Eagle look on video, this thing does look to be pretty nippy.

Excellent layout, although I think Swarm has a superior first drop element, the rest of X-Flights layout tops it.

billybobjoebob

Mega Poster
The inversions look to be more exagerated on this one than the other wing coasters. That combined with the winged carts should make this ride produce some unique feelings

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I think it turned out great. I love how drawn out the inline twists are with the near misses. Theming seems to be just as half-assed as Swarms and Wild Eagles though. How do you guys rank the current Wing Riders based on what you've seen?

I'm thinking:
Raptor
Wild Eagle
X-Flight
Swarm

Martyn B

CF Legend
I've only ridden Swarm, but from that experience, and how/what I liked about it, I would imagine that I'd rank them like this:

X-Flight
Swarm
Raptor
Wild Eagle

Ethan

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
Theming seems to be just as half-assed as Swarms and Wild Eagles though.

How does The Swarm have "half assed" theming? It's better than most coasters out there, especially anything in Canada...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Ethan said:
How does The Swarm have "half assed" theming? It's better than most coasters out there, especially anything in Canada...

Oh not another fanboy :lol: I know Canada sucks for theming and never did I mention it was better, its completely irrelevant to the point.

The Swarm's theme is a ruined church and lots of dirt with a couple of destroyed objects. Its theming is good for a roller coaster they just didn't go all out. When you compare it to Raptor its not as good and its layout isn't as good as Wild Eagle and X-Flight. A perfectly themed roller coaster is something made by Disney, or Universal. Anything that isn't themed to that amount of detail is "half assed" in my opinion. But yes, you are partly correct it is themed "better" than most coasters.

All in all though theming really isn't that important to me, its the layout that made me put them in that order.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Swarm's station is good, the rest of the area lacked the same level of... involvement to me. By my guess, the Wing Riders are going to rank like this:

X-Flight/Wild Eagle (depending on whether you prefer the tight layout of the big sweeping layout)
Raptor
Swarm

X-Flight certainly looks a hell of a lot better than Swarm.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
Ethan said:

Oh not another fanboy :lol: I know Canada sucks for theming and never did I mention it was better, its completely irrelevant to the point.

The Swarm's theme is a ruined church and lots of dirt with a couple of destroyed objects. Its theming is good for a roller coaster they just didn't go all out. When you compare it to Raptor its not as good and its layout isn't as good as Wild Eagle and X-Flight. A perfectly themed roller coaster is something made by Disney, or Universal. Anything that isn't themed to that amount of detail is "half assed" in my opinion. But yes, you are partly correct it is themed "better" than most coasters.

All in all though theming really isn't that important to me, its the layout that made me put them in that order.

Ok well i'm not a fanboy, and 'camping outside CW' doesn't make you look any better...

You say 'perfect' theming is like Disney and Universal, but most parks don't have that sort of budget. Expedition Everest cost 50 million, most parks don't have that budget for two rides! So it's not that a park cannot be bothered, it's that they sometimes cannot afford it.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Six Flags Great America |"X-Flight"| B&M Wing Coaster

Brett, I believe those dreadful patches of spilled concrete are actually mist areas. Photos have turned up on its fan page showing LOTS of mist effects throughout the ride. Secondary keyhole, first keyhole (i believe), and a couple drops (one going into the immelman i believe).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Brett7710

Mega Poster
^ I did catch a glimpse of some keyhole mist effects on one of the videos but didn't know they had more planned. Are 6F likely to keep all these effects running through the years? It would be a shame if they slowly dropped off like so many others.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Yea, they didnt have em all running apparently. Like I said, there are pics on the X-Flight fan page group thing on facebook showing several pics of mist being used.

This is where, Chicago/Gurnee area?ost likely only during the summer tovhelp with maintenance costs, but yea...I see these dieing in a few years hahaha.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Martyn B

CF Legend
station is good, the rest of the area lacked the same level of... involvement to me.

I kind of disagree. I thought the pedestrian are was quite good and well themed, but the actual ride are is quite bare, but you cant really notice it as it many wraps around the pedestrian area, until you hit the brakes after the in-line, and then you see a land of nothing but mud and weeds - which I thought was really, really piss poor of Thorpe. They put a lot of effort into Swarm, so why leave that back area SO bare?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I saw pictures on TPR that showed grass seed planted under the ride. The queue also goes through the keyhole as well.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Agreed with Swarm, certainly.

I personally think that this'll give an amazing ride - far longer than any others so far, and the area around and the queue line seem really nicely done, especially the interaction of the ride with the Queline.

But how will this rate against the Intamin Wingriders? (Baco and Skyrush)

Why does everyone rate Raptor so low? I feel too that W Eagle doesn't really do particularly much...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Until ECG gets a review up...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuREy-L8518[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MlXkF85e7A[/youtube]

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I kind of disagree. I thought the pedestrian are was quite good and well themed, but the actual ride are is quite bare, but you cant really notice it as it many wraps around the pedestrian area, until you hit the brakes after the in-line, and then you see a land of nothing but mud and weeds - which I thought was really, really piss poor of Thorpe. They put a lot of effort into Swarm, so why leave that back area SO bare?

I thought they were improving it though, planting a few trees and such.

Just loving the near miss through the tower (wish people would stop calling it 'through the keyhole', I keep reading the topic in Loyyd Grossman's voice!)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Jerry calls it "the vagina".