What's new

Six Flags Great America |"X-Flight"| B&M Wing Coaster

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: "X-Flight"- B&M (Wing Rider) for Six Flags Great America

"First Theme Park in the U.S. to Announce Plans to Build State-of-the-Art Wing Coaster"

"The Gurnee theme park is the first to announce plans for a wing coaster in the U.S."

"Six Flags Great America has a long history of introducing legendary rides and first-of-its-kind roller coasters,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America Park President.

That's actually quite clever. They're not lying and saying it's the first/only one of its kind, but the implication to the casual reader is that they're the first/only park to get one. Sneaky really; Dollywood are set to announce their's when? Sunday?

Dollywood's would have been in the planning a lot longer I'd have thought, given the terrain and everything. Six Flags have gone for a bit more of an "off the shelf" model, likely decided on a lot more recently and have managed to grab the "first" title.

Well played!

Martyn B

CF Legend

Well so far, this does have the best looking layout IMO. Nice colour scheme too, and the trains looks pretty funky. Its win all round really.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Oh yeah, I totally agree that it looks fantastic. I'm not slating the ride, or its layout at all. It's just that the design of this, which is really not dissimilar to Swarm, wouldn't have taken anywhere near the amount of time and effort that would have gone into the planning of the Dollywood coaster.

Like I said, a smart, but sneaky, PR move.

TTDfan52

Mega Poster

I'm so pumped for this because SFGAm is my home park.

Lofty

CF Legend

As I said, The Swarm What? To be totally honest, in my opinion, this layout pisses ALL OVER The Swarm's!

Ben

CF Legend

It's... exactly... the... bloody... same...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Ben said:
It's... exactly... the... bloody... same...

Actually...you're wrong, the layout is slightly different...

Swarm-height-127ft
X-Flight-height-120ft

And there's more...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Looks pretty cool i like the flight feeling these coasters give you but i find they kind of short like the vertical dive coasters. Should be interesting to see which parks is better though

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

B&MintaminGCI said:
B&M is going to be rich in 2012.

They have:
1. Dollywood2012
2. Parc Asterix 2012
3. X-Flight 2012
4. Leviathan 2012
5. The Swarm 2012
6 (not confirmed to be B&M) but the possibily of a coaster going to Mirabilandia

The Parc Asterix is a 2011 construction project, as is the DW coaster...

Either way, B&M has found a way to make more coasters/year than they had been doing.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

This has got me pretty excited about Swarm now. Looks great, especially that first drop. :p

One thing though, the person sat on the left hand inside seat has clearly been animated for swinging legs. It bugs me how they swing in exactly the same way all the way though the ride. Lame... I know... ;)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Has anyone ever tried doing that on a floorless ride? Or sticking your legs out the whole way round?

It's actually quite nice to know that Thorpe has outdone Six flags by 7ft! Finally the UK has something of value to the rest of the world...

I wonder which will be better though...

B&MintaminGCI

Roller Poster

^Don't count on that too long, we still have the announcement of Dollywood's wing rider on Sunday. Which is most likely going to be taller than 127 feet.

Ben

CF Legend

CoasterCrazy said:
It's actually quite nice to know that Thorpe has outdone Six flags by 7ft! Finally the UK has something of value to the rest of the world...

As much as I think Swarm does actually look really good, and World-class (I'm so positive about Swarm it scares me), saying it's better for being 7ft taller... Just, shush.

Intricks

Strata Poster

^^The rumor for the current Dollywood ride is it being 200 feet, so a hyper wing rider (supposedly. This fact seems to be the most on point outside of it being a wing rider). Honestly, Dolly's is going to smash them all to oblivion and make every other park jealous :3

^ I agree. Saying a ride is better just based on 7ft of height is honestly a bad assumption. X-Flight seems to have a major lack of themeing, but it does offer a tunnel and a 'key hole' fly by, which will honestly make me freak a bit if I were to ride it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

^It will be very Bizzaro theming, I will put my money on that, cardboard-esque theming. I know Dolly will blow this out of the water so while I am excited, I will spend the money to go to Tennessee next year instead.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Yes, Dollywood will completely blow the other wingriders out of the water (If it is a wingrider of course) but what I was trying to say was that Thorpe Park is actually making a ride taller than one at six flags, which is unusual...I'm not saying Swarm is going to be better though.

Who knows if the theming will be scarce? Even though it looks scarce on the ride, we still haven't seen the queueline or the inside of the station yet!

Ethan

Strata Poster

Ben said:
As much as I think Swarm does actually look really good, and World-class (I'm so positive about Swarm it scares me), saying it's better for being 7ft taller... Just, shush.
Ben, CoasterCrazy said nothing about it being better. That goes to Intricks too!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Re: "X-Flight"- B&M (Wing Rider) for Six Flags Great Ame

Ethan said:
Ben said:
Ben, CoasterCrazy said nothing about it being better. That goes to Intricks too!

By saying the UK finally has something of value compared to the rest of the world, infers a sense of having something superior than the rest, if only in a slight sense. Hence, he thought it was better!

¦3

Note, Nemesis and a few other rides over there are way better than some of the rides here in the US imo due to having a unique ride.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Ethan

Strata Poster
Re: Re: "X-Flight"- B&M (Wing Rider) for Six Flags Great Ame

Intricks said:
By saying the UK finally has something of value compared to the rest of the world, infers a sense of having something superior than the rest, if only in a slight sense. Hence, he thought it was better!

No, he was saying that for a change, Thorpe Park are building something bigger than a SF park, as usually, in terms of height, SF parks blow UK coasters out of the water.