What's new

Six Flags Great America | Maxx Force | S&S Air Launch

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I don't think bankruptcy in the magnitude that SF was forced into can ever be fully recovered from.

I agree. Their investment strategy from 1999-2006 was, well, extremely daring and guaranteed to land them in major debt. Airtime Thrills made a video talking about Six Flags' rapid expansion from 1999 to 2000, but the 6 years after that were nothing short of wild. The trio of Giant Inverted Boomerangs, at least ten B&M coasters, an Intamin prefabricated wooden coaster & the tallest coaster in the world (also by Intamin) back-to-back in the same park as well as many prototype attractions clearly marked Six Flags' theory that huge investment would equal huge returns. Unfortunately, we all know the end to this story. The 2007 Recession meant that there wasn't as much money to go around anymore, and Six Flags began cutting back majorly. Those previous years of rapid expansion compensated the quality of Six Flags' parks for an ever-expanding lineup of rides, so Six Flags tried to improve overall park quality in an attempt to bring back the crowds that had been lost due to dirty pathways, abandoned rides, and unkempt buildings. If I recall correctly, Six Flags was roughly $1.6 billion in debt from when the rumor that they would buy the SeaWorld Parks went around. I think that given 20-25 more years, Six Flags will have recovered and be able to spend the big bucks once more - but in a smarter way than last time.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Got two rides on Maxx Force yesterday during passholder preview day just before I had to fly home!

It was the first time I’d ever ridden a coaster before official public opening so that was exciting. Got assigned to the back row both times (would’ve liked to try front, but was just happy to be riding tbh). The launch kicks your ass and I love how I couldn’t figure out either time when it would actually take off. It’s not my favourite launch (Rossa) as obviously it can’t match the epicness of that sort of speed, but the level of intensity it reaches in such a short time is impressive and definitely stood out to me.

After the launch? Honestly, it just kinda felt like the elements were there rather than adding any more ‘WOW’ moments to the ride. I enjoyed the hangtime in the first and final two inversions, especially since the restraints were very pleasant, but they still felt a bit on the weak side. The barrel roll you certainly pass through with great speed but that’s it... no real ‘snap’ or anything particularly wild about it. The coaster is impeccably smooth but I just feel it didn’t challenge my body much in the way of forces after the launch, which seemed in diametric opposition to what people around me were saying on the day (the guy who rode next to me on the first ride said it had caused him to pull a muscle, for example). Maybe it was just fatigue after a big trip full of coasters that made it harder for anything to impress me at that point, but as a whole ride it didn’t feel particularly intense nor very satisfying.

Still, couldn’t be happier to have managed to squeeze it in right at the end there! Could’ve easily missed out by a mere few hours which would’ve been infuriating.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Got two rides on Maxx Force yesterday during passholder preview day just before I had to fly home!

It was the first time I’d ever ridden a coaster before official public opening so that was exciting. Got assigned to the back row both times (would’ve liked to try front, but was just happy to be riding tbh). The launch kicks your ass and I love how I couldn’t figure out either time when it would actually take off. It’s not my favourite launch (Rossa) as obviously it can’t match the epicness of that sort of speed, but the level of intensity it reaches in such a short time is impressive and definitely stood out to me.

After the launch? Honestly, it just kinda felt like the elements were there rather than adding any more ‘WOW’ moments to the ride. I enjoyed the hangtime in the first and final two inversions, especially since the restraints were very pleasant, but they still felt a bit on the weak side. The barrel roll you certainly pass through with great speed but that’s it... no real ‘snap’ or anything particularly wild about it. The coaster is impeccably smooth but I just feel it didn’t challenge my body much in the way of forces after the launch, which seemed in diametric opposition to what people around me were saying on the day (the guy who rode next to me on the first ride said it had caused him to pull a muscle, for example). Maybe it was just fatigue after a big trip full of coasters that made it harder for anything to impress me at that point, but as a whole ride it didn’t feel particularly intense nor very satisfying.

Still, couldn’t be happier to have managed to squeeze it in right at the end there! Could’ve easily missed out by a mere few hours which would’ve been infuriating.
Plot Twist:- Maxx Force is a Mack.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I think it's sliiiiightly too short looking, and may feel underwhelming if the queue is too long. But defo a fun thing to do for a half hour wait maybe.

But what's there looks really great! I'm always the first to critises S&S and assumed this would be mess, but it looks powerful and SO smooth. I'm really impressed, it also bodes well for how Steel Curtain will ride (I will never forgive the ugliness of that thing... but it will be great if it matches the smoothness).

Snoo

The Legend
I think it's sliiiiightly too short looking, and may feel underwhelming if the queue is too long. But defo a fun thing to do for a half hour wait maybe.

But what's there looks really great! I'm always the first to critises S&S and assumed this would be mess, but it looks powerful and SO smooth. I'm really impressed, it also bodes well for how Steel Curtain will ride (I will never forgive the ugliness of that thing... but it will be great if it matches the smoothness).

I'll tell you in a week. :D

As far as MaxxForce, the launch is everything. If its great, worth it. If it sucks.. meh.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Currently in the queue outside the gate waiting for it to open. Heard it's had some downtime since it opened so we'll see how this goes. Launch is quite the sound!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Just done it! This thing is so intense!! It waits ages on the launch track and usually when I'm a bit nervous it turns out to be unfounded but this thing hauls it and justified the feat imo! Was speechless on the brake run! It's getting consistent applause from returning trains. Really quite the launch!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Plot Twist:- Maxx Force is a Mack.
Shouldn't that be Mackxx Force, then? ;)

On another note, I found some of Copperhead Strike's transitions to be a bit aggressive - notably the twisted hill after the Stengel dive through the first loop (which shockingly pulled some Maverick-style whip), the hill leading into the second launch and the ejector hill after the first loop. The reason why I think Maxx Force might have been too smooth for some is due to lots and lots of heartlining. Think about it; since that heartline roll had to be taken at 60mph, it needed to be butter-smooth or else it would've ended up like Maverick's heartline roll - reportedly causing blackouts and unsafe amounts of G force.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Back again.
We back to sfgam today, the ride was down most of the day with staff saying at one point that everytime they fixed one problem another would crop up so sounds like it has a few teething issues. Ride reopened near the end of the day and we got a re-ride in. Still a crazy launch but was more prepared this time so enjoyed it more, actually noticed us going over the airtime hump this time!

Defo get on it if you see it open when you visit because it seems a bit temperamental at the moment.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
Back again.
We back to sfgam today, the ride was down most of the day with staff saying at one point that everytime they fixed one problem another would crop up so sounds like it has a few teething issues. Ride reopened near the end of the day and we got a re-ride in. Still a crazy launch but was more prepared this time so enjoyed it more, actually noticed us going over the airtime hump this time!

Defo get on it if you see it open when you visit because it seems a bit temperamental at the moment.
Starting to show its true S&S colours