What's new

Sea World San Diego |"Manta"| Mack Launched

Re: Manta - Mack Launched Coaster for Sea World San Diego

It looks like a good ride for younger visiters and family's but it doesn't look as good as Sea world Orlando's Manta...

^ I really wonder about the layout of this coaster!
Has it been released? Correct me if its already been posted here or talked about.

Ethan said:
And it would go with the theme, if you know what i'm getting at here. Because Manta like to gracefully swim around, and they cant exactly do loops and pretzels :p

Actually they probably could. But you get my point?? :S

Yeah, Manta Rays actually do do loops, its pretty cool to watch. :p

It have started to go vertical!!

091411-swc032-sm.jpg

Courtesy of Westcoaster.

Whole update at: CLICK

Yes you do!

Switching between the hideouts'...

Interesting where they're putting it. I would have thought it would have been on the southern side of the park, towards the interstate and such.

The pictures of the supports on westcoaster screamscape posted looked like they had been through a lot of wear and tear getting to to the park, the tops of the supports were all scratched and paint was coming off.

^ Perhaps its supposed to have that rustic sort of feel?
It would suck if they already have to repaint it for whatever reason.

Would have to get up close to see about that. And it appears that they have just placed track in one of the open parkinglots... Hmm...

^ Yup its clearly seen on one of the pics in the Westcoaster update.
where did you get that info from ?

I live down here too... Info comes this way quickly about local stuff...

BUMPPP!!!

Got to take a real good close look today at Mantas track. Was headed down to watch the Jet Boat races when I realized we were going to be right by SeaWorld. Unfortunately, I did not bring a camera (wtf is wrong with me????) and my cell phone pics show nothing. I can assure you that the track is very nice and shiny still, and there is no rust. :cool:

Supports and track pieces usually end up with a bit of chipped paint from shipping. It's no big deal and nothing that a little touch up paint won't fix.

Re:

rollermonkey said:
Xpress said:
furie said:
Nah, it's pretty clear that the locals don't want a coaster sticking up on the skyline and blighting their view (for whatever reason).

Doubtful it's because of the GP, the sea world tower and JTA both stick well above 30ft.

There are 2 major airports near seaworld, one is the international airport, then the other is the North Island military base airport, both are active airports...

I lived in San Diego for 7 years while stationed there in the Navy. The height restriction issues at Sea World have nothing to do with the airport, which is far from "major" and even less with the several military airfields in San Diego County.

When JTA was being built, the news covered the issues quite thoroughly:

City Hall and the California Coastal Commission resist coasters at Sea World due to the image of Mission Bay and Mission Bay Park that they are trying to preserve.

When JTA was built, SW and AB emphasized the Commerson's Dolphin exhibit and downplayed the size of the coaster. As I mentioned before, they (City Hall and the CCC) actually held hearings while the coaster was being built and when it was done about making the park demolish it.

As for the tower, it predates most of the environmental resistance issues in the area.

The tower also makes it pretty obvious that the height issues have nothing to do with the airport or the multitude of military airfields around San Diego.
Exactly, and not limited to only Mission Bay, but the entire California coastline. Just recently, the CCC shot down plans for replacing a dilapidated crack-hotel across from Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Specifically because developers wanted to rebuild taller than the current limit, which in turn would set a bad precedent for other future developments:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/news/ci_18661274?source=rss

I get that they want to protect our coastline from being overbuilt with high-rise development, which I can agree with. Once you allow one high-rise, others will also insist they be exempt as well. But it sucks that SCBB and SWSD have to jump through so much costly red tape for any significant additions. Double Shot at SCBB and JTA at SWSD are proof that the CCC does seem to make exceptions for the parks when it comes down to it. Manta seems to be SWSD's way of playing nice with the CCC, but hopefully they'll push for something more significant for their next major coaster project.

First piece of track in place!

thumb_manta_track.jpg

Picture from TPR

DAMMIT I was just about to post that. A friend has been texting me (she works at SW) and she says they have been moving ride pieces quite a bit lately...

Wow finally lol.
I really like the color of that track though!
Of course its just a general blue ..... but Ive always liked blue on roller coasters.

Pretty weird place to start building from.

Must be a crane location issue.