What's new

Sea World San Diego |"Manta"| Mack Launched

Re: Manta - Mack Launched Coaster for Sea World San Diego

^ Isnt the whole ride not going to rise above 40-50 feet?
I dont think a crane issue would really be an issue considering the height of this coaster is very small.

D1993 said:
I dont think a crane issue would really be an issue considering the height of this coaster is very small.

Oh yeah, I forgot, that if a coaster doesn't go above 50ft, it's hoisted in place by the World's Strongest Man Competitors...

Yeah, that was a stupid comment, no matter what height the coaster is, a crane is needed to actually LIFT the pieces in place.

rollermonkey said:
Pretty weird place to start building from.

Must be a crane location issue.
Perhaps it's one of the sections that's going to have a walkway built over it?

rollermonkey said:
Pretty weird place to start building from.

That get mentioned in almost every construction thread... From what I've seen so far in life, they just start wherever.

^I doubt they do. I think they probably build themselves out of the area. You wouldn't want to start putting your track in across the old real exit point for the large vehicles involved in the construction. Unless they were going to be part of the theming! :p

I don't see why this is such a difficult thing that gets brought up all the time. It's logical.

^ When have people used logic as of late?

Switching between the hideouts'...

Take a good look at what's on the other side of the fencing and you should see why they started there. They can't place a crane on the outside of the fencing, there's no room for it to go there. I do believe they are going to build themselves out of this one, especially since the park has plans to keep the scenery outside of the fencing.

Hixee said:
I don't see why this is such a difficult thing that gets brought up all the time.

Because coasters actually get built like they do on Roller Coaster Tycoon. You know, you have to start at the station and each piece is then added in the "correct" order.

It's not like they're engineered to fit together perfectly no matter what order you put the pieces in or anything.

^Obviously not, starting from the station and finishing at the station is obviously the most sensible reason. This was just stupid of them to start out at the far end of the track and work their way back inwards towards the park. :roll:

-lofty- said:
D1993 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot, that if a coaster doesn't go above 50ft, it's hoisted in place by the World's Strongest Man Competitors...

Yeah, that was a stupid comment, no matter what height the coaster is, a crane is needed to actually LIFT the pieces in place.

Wow. Should I be offended because you think Im that dumb? Lol.
The way I meant it is because someone mentioned that it was an odd place to start from.
As a very small height coaster, I was saying that there shouldnt be any issue where they start from because its such a small ride. (in terms of height)
Like with huge giga and mega coasters, usually they do the lift hill first, but since this is short they can start anyway.
Should've clarified thats what I meant lol.

And just to add, not all coasters would start from the station and finish at the station.
Different parts go in at different times eg Leviathan. Theyve already built the bottom little part of the drop, so some parts go a little mixed up. Usually they start at the station and end there, but alot of the time, little bits and pieces go in different spots (such as drops, mcbrs etc)

COASTERS ARE BUILT IN THE MOST SENSIBLE ORDER! It's really not hard.

Like Gavin said, they fit together whichever order the pieces are put in in (in theory), so they start when it's most convenient. With big coasters like Leviathan they start with the lift hill because that requires the largest cranes. Obviously, larger cranes are more difficult to manoeuvre in/out of the park, so it makes sense to use them first when there's little else in the way to stop them being able to move.

With this coaster they also need to be able to get the cranes out. Even if they're smaller (because this ride isn't as big) they're still going to be a pain to get out of the construction area as the coaster is smaller and might never be high enough off the ground to let the crane out if it got stuck in the middle. Like Xpress said, this segment they've put in is right at the back of the area where they'd be unable to access it from the other side.

Really, am I just misunderstanding all of you and you all understand this perfectly, or are you all just not reading my posts? :roll:

Hixee said:
COASTERS ARE BUILT IN THE MOST SENSIBLE ORDER! It's really not hard.

Like Gavin said, they fit together whichever order the pieces are put in in (in theory), so they start when it's most convenient. With big coasters like Leviathan they start with the lift hill because that requires the largest cranes. Obviously, larger cranes are more difficult to manoeuvre in/out of the park, so it makes sense to use them first when there's little else in the way to stop them being able to move.

With this coaster they also need to be able to get the cranes out. Even if they're smaller (because this ride isn't as big) they're still going to be a pain to get out of the construction area as the coaster is smaller and night never be high enough off the ground to let the crane out if it got stuck in the middle. Like Xpress said, this segment they've put in is right at the back of the area where they'd be unable to access it from the other side.

Really, am I just misunderstanding all of you and you all understand this perfectly, or are you all just not reading my posts? :roll:

No, Hixee, some people just seem to not find it necessary to understand easy logic and use their brains for general knowledge.

It's fantastic that we actually HAVE people like you on here that gives people proper explanations, most other members have given up hope...

Today (Fri 4th) from the SkyTower (in the rain, barely stopped raining all day, pah!)

6313215433_d32ae1e1d3_z.jpg

and a closer one (from the SeaLion stadium)

6313233011_cac2ea1a3f_z.jpg

Station and fish ponds (I assume);

6313234143_cc47a3bdd4_z.jpg

Looks like a lot more progress than "3 or 4 pieces a day".

And from what I've seen, most coasters are actually built in order, either forwards or back, and most typically starting at the station or the transfer track.

And, we've seen several rides over the years that were a tight fit to get the last piece in. I-305 and Eejanaika come to mind immediately with images of the surrounding pieces being pulled apart to squeeze the last one in having been posted online or available via a webcam.

rollermonkey said:
And from what I've seen, most coasters are actually built in order, either forwards or back, and most typically starting at the station or the transfer track.

And, we've seen several rides over the years that were a tight fit to get the last piece in. I-305 and Eejanaika come to mind immediately with images of the surrounding pieces being pulled apart to squeeze the last one in having been posted online or available via a webcam.
Again though, you're just proving my point. They try and get the biggest/bulkiest bits done first as they require the largest machinery. The station/transfer track are not only complex pieces of track, but they also need a lot of wiring to be installed (and often theming). It makes sense to get them done first so that electricians and 'themers' can come in and start work. The tricky parts of I305 and Eejanaika will almost certainly have been the least tricky way of doing it. It may have been a hassle, but they wanted the bigger cranes off site ASAP, so they compromised by having to a bit of fiddling later on.

This ride is actually looking quite cool. Should be a good family coaster. :D

Looks super sexy imo! I wonder how it will ride. Whether it'll be intense like Rita or have more of a family feel (ie slow meandering).

^ its going be slow. 43 mph and a total duration of about 2:00 minutes. Not exactly the most exciting coaster, but the interaction with the theming and the low corners should make it entertaining enough.

http://www.rcdb.com/9819.htm

I imagine it'll end up very similar to Jet Rescue at Sea World in Australia.

Fun little corners, nice themeing... But not going to set the World on fire.

^^Well Rita has one initial 60 mph launch. This has several (three?) launches at a slightly lower speed. So could be that the experience is similar :) I guess we wont know until the ride open!

andrus said:
^^Well Rita has one initial 60 mph launch. This has several (three?) launches at a slightly lower speed. So could be that the experience is similar :) I guess we wont know until the ride open!

Um... No?

That post was a bit silly to be quite frank. It's not going to be anything like Rita;

Rita has no theming interaction, this does.
Rita is faster than this, causing intense launches, this won't.
Rita isn't actually a FAMILY coaster, this is.

Need I go on?