What's new

Sea World San Diego |"Manta"| Mack Launched

Rush

Giga Poster
Sea World San Diego is to build a $10 million Mack Launched coaster in the park for 2012. The ride will be called "Manta" and themed similarly to its Floridian cousin however it will provide a totally different ride experience.

The coaster is set not to exceed 30ft ensuring a fast, compact, ground hugging layout, completely in contrast to Blue Fire. There is also set to be a "wing-dip" and two launches with the coaster reaching top speeds of 43mph, it is set to be a very family orientated coaster.

Whilst it doesn't look remarkable on paper, it's something different and will be interesting to see in construction.

More information can be read in the following articles:

Park Thoughs (Includes blueprints)
LA Times

RCDB page

Ben

CF Legend
Oh, I got excited at first, then I read about it.

Oh well, least I don't have to go back to that dump with any urgency!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I'm glad parks are opting for these Mack launches. They need stuff like this to prove that they are about change and not sticking to the past so much.

Snoo

The Legend
Ben said:
Oh, I got excited at first, then I read about it.

Oh well, least I don't have to go back to that dump with any urgency!

This. I thought I had another fantastic addition for when I venture west again.. but nope!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This park always seems to get the short end of the stick in the Sea World chain. Orlando has Manta, Kraken, and Journey to Atlantis. San Antonio has Great White, Steel Eel, and Journey to Atlantis. This just has a large Journey to Atlantis, and now that they're deciding to add a new thrill ride, it's hardly that.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think that they're marketing this as a new thrill ride tbh & as far as the short end of the stick, they're in a tough situation due to height & noise restrictions. SeaWorld San Diego was built due to the popularity of the San Diego zoo & it has been a success in that aspect. It draws a different crowd than the other parks & thrill rides will never be part of their plans to increase attendance.
I'm actually glad that they're going through with this project & hope that it will be a success, though I have my doubts. If it's a success then the park might consider spending more on future rides instead of new exhibits to bring in more guests.
As far as the coaster itself, I'm all for more Mack Rides coasters in the U.S. so bring it on!

Newtrek5

Mega Poster
It looks like fun, and what Pony Express at Knotts should have been. Yeah it's geared towards the family crowd, but that's the crowd that the San Diego park attracts. Nice airtime hills!

Xpress

Strata Poster
Pretty sure there's no 30 foot height limit down here, seeing as that Atlantis ride is 95' tall, and the sea world tower is like 200 feet.

Maybe I'll pick up a season pass and cruise on down to see what's going on...

Newtrek5

Mega Poster
^ I do know that several attempts to get a coaster like this built have been denied. The parks has to jump through MAJOR hoops to add thrill rides. From angry neighbors to tough building codes. I'm happy to see this added, and not every ride built is the sum of it's stats. I'll wait to see how this turns out before writing it off as "just another kiddie coaster". Mack has built some pretty interesting rides.

Lofty

CF Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5U-277V49Q&feature=feedu[/youtube]

Uploaded by "Seaworld" on to Youtube. I for one think it looks fun. Yeah, it's not totally aimed at thrill seekers, but still, that doesn't matter, it looks like a good new addition.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'll echo that^.

SW in CA has enormous trouble getting rides of any kind approved by the City and California Coastal Commission. I know that the city council was extremely upset when they saw JTA in its completed state. They had City Council meetings and gave at least token consideration towards making them remove the whole thing.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Dunno if people have seen these yet...
SWSDManta3.jpg

SWSDManta1.jpg

SWSDManta2.jpg

I dunno why people are hating on this thing. Looks neat.

Also, I spent the best part of the last few months reading a book about this park (Spectacular Nature by Susan Davis), and I new nothing about it previously. It definitely made it clear the park has height regulations.

Lofty

CF Legend
I think it looks pretty nice to be honest. If they theme it as goo as the above concept art, it'll be on par with Manta (FL) or even be better than it. I haven't seen it by eye but from videos/pictures.

Ben

CF Legend
The concept art is pretty but it doesn't do anything, so it might as well be a new aquarium :p

The best bit about Blue Fire by FAR is the whole insane inversions with just a lap bar thing, which this lacks </3

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm not a fan of Manta (FL) as a ride, to be honest. The concept is one of the best out there, but the coaster is just... lacking. I think this will be better simply because of the ride type.

Criticisms are thus fair. But, Manta's queue and visuals make up for everything.

Nothing > Nautilus.

marc

CF Legend
^lol I found the complete opposite. I found the queue line boring everyone had said it was great but there was nothing there just a few tanks then nothing. The ride was the best flyer I have been on, not really a fan of flyers either though.

As for the this new one I think it will be a good family ride but nothing great. When we see the layout we will know more.

We did not go to this park as there was nothing there, maybe next time it will be worth a visit.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The layout on the NL video looks...boring. And I'm usually optimistic about rides.

BUT, the concept art looks fantastic, maybe that's all that NL needs.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I thought the video looked crap too.

If they put loads of effort into the scenary it could be really good. Near misses, interaction with water, could be a nice, neat family coaster.

I like it.

I wonder if it'll have the heart rate monitor things Blue Fire has?

Xpress

Strata Poster
Newtrek5 said:
^ I do know that several attempts to get a coaster like this built have been denied. The parks has to jump through MAJOR hoops to add thrill rides. From angry neighbors to tough building codes. I'm happy to see this added, and not every ride built is the sum of it's stats. I'll wait to see how this turns out before writing it off as "just another kiddie coaster". Mack has built some pretty interesting rides.

The closest "neighbors" is the marina boat rental place across the street, otherwise the closest residential housing is about 1/2 a mile away.

Infact, half a mile away you can't even hear anything. If the neighbors had to complain about anything, it would be the weekly fireworks shows every Saturday night at 9pm from the beginning to June to the end of August...

And what about all of the recreational watercraft activity in the bay area? I think the noise levels from a ride like this are the least of anyones concerns.

I for one am excited that they are getting a new ride. That'll make 3 coasters that San Diego has.