What's new

Scw55's Thread. Planet Coaster Calls (18-11-17)

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Leap

scw55 said:
I hate custom supports :p
But I'm glad you like it.

But yeah I'm trying to see what I can do with default wall sets. Because I hate the format of the custom ones that I have used. It's just overwhelming number of jigsaw pieces.
Which allows for more flexibility but the learning curve is an undefined slope.

If there was room for better organisation for the mod's pieces it'd be great. For example, one of my mods lack thumb-nails in the scenery list window. Which means I have to mouse over each piece to look at the preview. Or read a very in-depth scenery piece title. It seems to be a case of the creator fully understanding the system, but the Joe Blogs getting overwhelmed.

scw, every time you share some of your new work, I am more and more impressed, I remember way back when, when you released that death coaster thing? But now your work is of really good quality and I enjoy looking at them, I especially like your back story's :)

I`m genuinely saddend that you (along with porte) can`t take part in the World Championship.

Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you for your kind words. Now to impress you further.

What happens when you combine Nemesis with SW7?
You get an abomination brought to you by me!

This update comes with a step-by-step process as to how to structure my awesome buildings of awesomeness.

First I do a Coaster Layout

nJAtT.jpg

This is an element heavily inspired by the element featured in SW7. A Batwing and a Cobra Roll embracing in steel love. I chose that CTR because I wanted a B&M Inverter. I also didn't want to be restricted by potential close-proximity of track, so I used a CTR. Nemesis skin was the only one I had. This is my second draft of the layout (the drop is the same). I was able to tidy up the transitions between the core elements. Before it was too loop and too many inversions. The element got lost in the loops. Some really beautiful interlocking Loops and Corkscrews were killed, but it was for the greater good.

Step 2

Mark out the foot-plan of the building with marker walls. Lay paving to give the floor coverage. Build up the walls to desired height without impeding on future building work.

RfWhh.jpg

You can see I am using Diagonal Walls to soften the outline. I like to enclose the station and the queues/exit paths so that the space where the coaster is feels dedicated to the coaster. There are arch-ways which lets you peek into the depths of the Damned Palace

Step 3

Roof it up.

6247F.jpg

I'm using two tiers for the Roof. This prevents the building being a Cuboid which is boring. It lends itself well to the layout as there is a distinct variance in altitude in certain regions. I added a ring of thingies to make it interesting. I also lined the holes which are for the Coaster which sadly breaks the intended lore for the Coaster.

Rbm0O.jpg

Complete Main Building

83x3L.jpg

Inverting Drop With a lovely view down the slop of the mountain on to the desert below.

Step 4

Additional Opportunities to extend the building.

FHcFV.jpg

See somewhere you can put a small building or mini tower? Do it! Also, it might be close enough to any other buildings and you might consider connecting them.

So yeah. When I build buildings I don't do fore-planning. I just jump straight in. I build the ride, and then try to accommodate the building around the ride the best I can. Connecting free-standing buildings with structures can make some lovely organically formed complexes.

Now back on normal talkiness. I wanted a mountain for a dramatic change in terrain. I didn't want a park which was just huge Desert. I do have a more fertile region where plants grow with abundance (they will when I develop it). I have plans for a Coastal Part. And then across the (small) sea is a land where Kings live (Egyptian).
Another reason why I wanted a radically different (but same feeling) area was so I could use different building sets. I thought the colour of this default set suites the landscape well. It's also a set I am not familiar with, but enjoyed experiencing. I am eagerly awaiting building 'mega' structures with the Egyptian Set, but especially Tropical-Bambooy set. Mainly because the latter set is limited, it will be an enjoyable challenge making things look pretty. I already made the stations sweet.

Oh, you want lore for this Coaster?

Here we go.

Not everyone in the town admired the Phoenix. Some were rightfully sceptical about the benefits of seeking the Bird's favour. Fearing the day when the Great Bird's hunger could not be sated, they fled. They took with them the most basic supplies and rode to the East. On the horizon there was a great barren mountain. There was where they'd live from now on. Safe, as far as they knew from the possible wrath of The Phoenix.

Upon the summit they established a small camp. They did survive for some time, because the next generation build a Palace of such beauty from the nearby stone.

However, they appear to have all since gone. What they have left behind are the decaying empty husks of their buildings. Had the Phoenix claimed them after all? Or does some other being live up in these mountains?

- The Coaster is eroding the building.

Thanks for this quick tutorial, it will definitely help me with my latest parks. Love the fact that you use in-game scenery so well! If only we could all lose our dependence on CS...

Disadvantage of default scenery is that it is quite limited. If you want to do something, you are restricted to what the scenery allows. Then again, I find the User Interface for using it very friendly. I'm very fond of the Arches wall scenery for one of the Arab sets.

I find it helps to fit the buildings around the rides, otherwise it's too much.

And by building the building horizontal by horizontal is the most consistent for me. It is very time consuming, but I don't mind too much. Although I found my Intamin Impulse Ride (which you can see on the desert) hell and the Dark-Ride almost hell.

I'm just trying to marry Fantasy with Aesthetics with some-Realism. It was a lovely coincidence that they layout lent itself so well to that building. This was what I pretty much did for my Winter Dragon Contest Entry Park. I'm not sure if you could tell, but it was one super building.

Basically, I hate building things too tall because it then gets tedious building the roof.
Oh and a tip. If you have a Coaster that enters or leaves a building, check that it doesn't clip. Do a PoV Ride or try to pause/watch as it goes through the element. Nothing breaks 'enjoyment' of riding like empathising that the rider's limbs have been ripped off.

And what I have done recently is that I have stopped building Coasters in one go. I seem end up rebuilding it again to make it flow better. I did that with Phoenix, this Coaster which I'll tease you with and now this Coaster who has the working name; 'Summit' in till I decide whether story-wise it's sentient.

And now for a Teaser;

nyfz7.jpg

I do enjoy interesting combination of Ride Elements don't I? Any suggestions for theming the ride would be welcomed. I like the Oasis, but it feels like the ride needs more of something. Perhaps theme it like a humble trade stall. By the way, the location of this ride is very close to "Date Grove", so perhaps I could join the two in a sub-zone theme?

Due to the ride's lengths, I could possibly do PoVs in the future... :D

Hey try using Xfire for POVs. There is no delay of game and it doesn't take a long time at all. Test it out a couple times to make sure you get the hang of it and check to make sure that the videos come out fluidly.

I don't know what to do next

I've reached a wall of creativity and I don't know what to do next. Things I build don't give me satisfaction.
So I am asking you lot to suggest/challenge me with some things to build next.
Flats or Coasters.

The Areas I have (which might give you an idea of what to suggest) are:
1) Desert
2) Mountain
3) Lush area
4) Coastal Egyptian

Thank you for your help in advance.

I'd prefer if I didn't duplicate existing rides as there's a risk I'll render an existing one obsolete. The Wingriders are an except as one is a Lift-Hill 'traditional' circuit and the other is a Strata. I fancy doing a Duelling set.

Bare in mind I don't have access to custom supports for Wildmice or Wooden. I'd have to use the default.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Request for help

You know what? I would like to see you got for something complete;y different for your next project, get away from all the desert like themed rides, and try your hand at a more futuristic theme, or just maybe a little more urban. Even an Armageddon Swarm like theme. Use more Blacks and Grays.

Colossus said:
Use more Blacks and Grays.

But not as frequently as Merlin do :--D

Maybe, as Colossus hinted, its time to commence with something completely different; if you've encountered a metaphorical brick wall, maybe expand your mind to other possibilities! Perhaps you've exhausted the desert theme for now at least. I'd love to see somebody create duelling wingriders....

Saying that,the park, as good as it is, needs a signature "big ride" that stands literally head and shoulders above the others in height, perhaps with a little interaction. This is what parks are defined by, and many use this theory: TP with stealth, CP with TTD, King's island with diamondback and countless others.

A B&M hyper or an intamin mega would certainly do the trick. Perhaps a Shambhala inspired coaster?

Or not even a conventional coaster: a dark ride or safari maybe?

"Good" news, my current saved file crashes RCT3 upon loading so I may have to start a new park.

I want to avoid contemporary theming because I will be tempted to build phallic coasters.

Look at Alton Towers. Their iconic rides are 20ft.

I think I'll try duelling Wingriders as a project. I have an idea how I would go about it, so they actually duelled.
-
Update.

What would you say if I told you I have successfully built duelling Wingriders?

Nothing clips at all.
Sadly I had to cut a duelling element due to clipping issues (Interlocking Corkscrews).

scw55 said:
Nothing clips at all.
Sadly I had to cut a duelling element due to clipping issues (Interlocking Corkscrews).
Clipping will be the end of you with Wing Coasters.

Oh I know.

There is no clipping what to ever with the Duelling Coaster. And it synchronises as perfectly as physically possible.

I also build a B&M Mega Coaster.

Pics sometime...

Downhill brake runs are only common on the hypers, so try to restrict them to those if you can.