What's new

Scw55's Thread. Planet Coaster Calls (18-11-17)

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Dead of Winter Hiatus; Greener Pas

Felt like this was the best place to put general chat.

Did they just demote our forum area into a Sub-forum? Took me a white to work it out.

Well, we were already in coaster games...now it is been rearranged so that all coaster games' threads are displayed on the main "Coaster Games" forum. Perhaps this was an effort to join together the various different gamers and make it easier for everyone to see everyone else's content. Like a way to make it so that NL and RCT players (people interested in coaster games) can comment and rate creations.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Firebird expanse and lore

Will it be a good or a bad thing that they'll have different perspectives?
I mean a RCT3 player will have a different perspective from a RCT2 player and vice versa as it's quite difficult to convey realism in #2.

That's true. But if someone isn't interested in RCT3 then they won't come to this corner of the forum. Plus it's always good to get some words of advice or criticism or praise from someone outside of the community.

yeah its also a part of tidying up and updating the main forum page, we don`t need 4 separate links on the main page for gaming as there are not enough members using them to validate them, so it makes sense to merge all 4 links into a sub-forum, keeping the main page tidy it, just means that those few of us that use this section have to click another link, no big deal. :)

Yes, and hardly even that...most can be accessed from the main page. Although I would appreciate it if Competitions was added to the "subforums" on the main page.

This is my new park. As you can see it is Arabic in theme. No fancy cross-overs.
However due to my laziness, when I have been building some buildings on uneven land, magically sand had appeared inside. I will twist this in that there some sort of curse on the land and that x many years ago the occupants turned into sand.

Back on Coasterness.

No flat-rides yet. However one Coaster does yearn for a certain kind of ride.

Below are screenshots of 2 of the 3 rides. There is 1 teaser for my contest entry however.

M8XAe.jpg

Teaser

xtrno.jpg

Park Entrance. Will be completed when I expand slightly to the left some attraction. Most likely a Flat.

1DRP0.jpg

A Wooden Wildmouse Ride in a Palace. Build the layout in a compact area. Then built up around it. Wooden Coasters are immense for laziness if you don't want to CS Supports since you can 'get away' with not doing CS Supports.

unbgH.jpg

Path to 'Fire Bird' The line of Flags can be cut short if I decide to expand off that path.

POK9S.jpg

And at night

zDpPU.jpg

Lift-Hill out of station

ToWMt.jpg

First drop

GL7wJ.jpg

First Inversion; Zero-G Roll

DXnlf.jpg

Over-banked curve up against a dune

x3hHz.jpg

Block Section with sneak peak of next screenshot

xX7KR.jpg

Unique Element. I called it a "Drunk Cobra". Could be named a "Side-Winder"

5P9h4.jpg

Tried to do my trademark Half-Overbanked Turn -> Inline Twist -> Half-Overbanked other way but it didn't fit. It ended up half the intent with a Diving Half Loop to finish off. In some regards looks better

DLHBQ.jpg

Helix of DEATH around a tower You wouldn't believe me it was not planned for that to be above the station. It was an utter coincidence. Also support work for a helix with a Wingrider is a nightmare.

I hope you enjoyed.
I should probably change the colour of the supports that intersect with the building so it looks less like some kid has nailed shards of metal through a dolls' house.

Love the wing coaster! Great terrain interaction and good scenery. Greatly improved supportwork from Djinni, but it would be nice if you would use Steel Jungle instead. It's a little more laborious, but it looks better in the long run. But overall, just a great ride with a great layout.

Yeah the support work is less concentrated.

It was SteelWorx which I was told to get...

I can't get a working download for SteelJungle. Suggest a link?

I like this take on the Wing Coaster. Something new and refreshing (which is usually how things go with you). Also, I know how much you like the Arabian theme so I would considered looking for some more Arabian CS. I know you're not big on CS but there are some good sets out there for this theme.

I've downloaded a set and haven't got round to using it. I will when I take screenshots and videos for BBH's contest. I feel like I am the only taking part there :p At least it'll be two contests I've won by default.

I went CS list and the link wasn't working for me...

And the intent of the Wingrider was to handle it like how I would handle a flying coaster because in my eyes, a Wingrider is half a Flier. So emphasis on flying... So after a terrible layout later it turned into a generic inverting coaster with my own spin.

I enjoy being original. I dislike that in general the majority of B&M Wingriders have industrial themeing. I wanted something more natural. I also think Wingriders naturally make great terrain coasters due to how exposed the riders are. Does make teraforming annoying.

I feel like I could add more theming.

The mid-block break section is too early. Means the chain lift had to go slowly for better timing. Sadly it's too late to relocate the block section. It's just experience gaining so next time I have better strategic placement.

Wait in till you see my entry to BBH's contest... That's more Original than "Fire Bird".

Based on feedback of my entry to Port's contest, this layout is less concentrated. Besides it's a nightmare to have a concentrated layout with a Wingrider.

Just one more suggestion: download DasMatze's Support Overhaul set from CS Depot. It makes the 2D wooden supports 3D and adds footers. It makes all rides with wooden supports look better.

I've downloaded some mods.
However I won't be able to use them soon because my progress with my current project park doesn't update with new content.
Steel Jungle Scares me.
The Arabic scenery I downloaded has unhelpful icons and titles. Set bits look good, just it's impossible to use.

I've uploaded pictures of my other Coaster on the contest thread now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJrkVdRt-E&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Date Grove

Really good job with Date Grove, but I'll just send you my ratings when voting comes around for the contest instead of ranting here.

BTW, just thought that I would say that I started looking at some of your past coasters on YouTube and think that Winter Dragon is you best because of its awesome terrain interaction and (surprisingly) good use of SteelWorx. I'd like to see more coasters like that. They really immerse the rider.

It's very time consuming and it consumes a lot of creativity and imagination from me. So I am in danger of burnout. The park in which Winter Dragon is situated is consistently beautiful, except for one part. This one part. It's a stand-up steel and... I just lost interest by the end of it. And that killed off the park.

Custom supports annoy me. Winter Dragon was really easy to do as it was geometric.

Perhaps I should focus more on Intamin Inverters :p
SteelJungle really intimidates me.

I really like nature in my designs. I've established my opinion on industrialised looking parks a lot on here :p Car parks = yuck :p I think I still believe I'm playing Theme Park World where you have a little bit of suspension of disbelief. My Arab Park will develop. It's a shame I'll be mostly using default scenery as it is saved as a saved game before I downloaded a lot of mods. At least I make default scenery look pretty.

I've built some buildings along the layout for Firebird.
And in doing so I decided upon a 'story' for the ride. And how its theme is a contrast from more less-apocalyptic themed rides I have built.

First screenshots:

FcA3T.jpg

First Drop. I was building the building to the right, and I thought that small extension was a logical expansion. It also amusingly resonates the Crashed Helicopter in Swarm.

Q8Lj2.jpg

First construction. I had that idea of using the Wingrider and that piece of Wall Scenery and checked that it worked at this spot first. It did. But sadly I couldn't see how I could expand on that, so I went elsewhere on the layout. I may come back to it.

n5sJZ.jpg

Into the mystery building Confusingly this is the last thing I built, but it comes next on the layout. Basically half an Overbanked turn into the building. The design is meant to be more 'temple-like' than the rest of the buildings in the park. Like the buildings for this ride alone, the walls are charcoal black.

enUwK.jpg

In-line Twist Out. I'm really proud of this. I made a key-hole by using the block nature of the black wall default Arab scenery. A very effective key hole I think in conjunction of the element. Also has an implication of the coaster train 'attacking the wall' to get out.

i3uCO.jpg

Proof that the cars don't clip the scenery

p2Czs.jpg

Ascension through a building

E4zEh.jpg

Escape

I still need to change the colour of some of the supports. The support colour is fine for the layout. But it looks odd when it comes to splinters of metal sticking out of the buildings.

Lore

The Firebrid is a powerful and mystical creature. Taking on the form of a Crane, its plumage burns with a searing red and yellow.

The locals believed that the Firebird was immortal. It was said that if you paid homage to the great bird, it will share those who idolised it. This was a great prize to the people of this land as the desert winds cut through flesh and cloth and savage crops. Any ounce of immortality would make this land bareable.

And so temples and palaces were erected to honour the Great Firebird. A small hamlet turned into a great town full of trade. All was prosperous as long as the Firebird was content.

But even great mythological creatures could succumb to corruption. The amount of Worship and tribute demanded by the Firebird over time grew greater and greater; the Firebird twisted by its desire to be admired. Soon the bird was a fearsome tyrant.

A cunning Date Grove keeper, aware of this problem feared for his lively hood. He could foretell that eventually his precious Date Grove would be obliterated without the Firebird's protection. So in desperation, he did something that would condemn the town.

The night before the Firebird's next offering, which consisted of fruits, gold, jewels and livestock, the Keeper made his move. He broke into the storehouse and moved every single tribute to his great estate. Fuelled by his fear for his wealth, he ferried the mountain of tribute through out the night. And then, morning came.

Enraged by the insufficient 'appreciation' of the towns folk, the Firebird went on a rampage. Destroying all that he assisted in building. Many lives were lost in the devastation.
When the Mighty Bird swooped towards the Date Grove, the Keeper was waiting.

Outside the Keeper's palace was a mound of fruit, gold and jewels. The Firebird stopped.
The Firebird was impressed how this one person was willing to contribute so much. And so the Grove was spared.
-
Many years have passed and the town is now ruins. A few lucky buildings still remain.
People have visited since and had left monuments to serve as a warning to all those who dare visit this cursed land. The Firebird is still said to roam the dunes, but is shadow of his former self. A taste of wealth has corrupted this Bird's tongue. Years without worship has left it very hungry. The only thing that had sustained it was the Grove that the Keeper 'kindly' gave to the Bird. Now the only taste the Bird's tongue desires is blood.

The Date Grove is still fruitful after all these year. However the traitorous Keeper is long dead. His plan worked, his Grove is still fertile. However one man cannot sustain the blessing of The Bird for long. Soon his own blood was tributes. The Keeper died alone, in the husk of a once-great city.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Leap

Lets see. What did I do? I added a buck tonne of attractions, that's what!

Firstly, you know that bit I shared where I wasn't sure what to do? Well guess what! I knew what to do!

3TTFi.jpg

You can see I extended the palace that far forwards. I also made the interaction element very pretty. You can also notice that the track colour has changed. This is still a phoenix as blue is a traditional colour for one. Yes, I ret-conned the name. Phoenix(es) aren't on fire, they're just normal birds who happen to explode in a terrible inferno upon rebirth. I like the piles of sand. It implies a sense of entropy. The buildings are a beauty from a time that's gone by.

With Arabian theming, if in doubt how to fill in a gap, build a building, with a ride inside. Excuse that the ride needs to be enclosed to protect the riders from the sun cough.

QZWYY.jpg

This is a flat to tie-in to the Coaster. Sadly the default colour scheme was permanently blue and yellow so that affected the colour of the coaster for the consistently.

XcLbD.jpg

This is a Dark-Ride which I built. First proper enclosed one. Giving an example of filling voids with buildings. The theme is that this part of the Palace has a Dark and Terrible secret. It is offset by the neighbourly ride to the right which is a SCW55 Intamin Impulse Coaster whose theming is something of a lighter tone. I'm hoping next time if I build a dark ride I can think more about the setting and less about the layout. There is only 1 and a half scenes in the layout. But I hope there is a sense of growing suspense.

zlIWl.jpg

A pleasantly themed Magic Carpet ride. Why build an Arabic themed Park without a Magic Carpet ride?!
You can see there's a theme with coloured flags. The flags have their colour schemes to match the rides'. This is just to give the ride its identity in a way that ties into the theme of the park. There's a struggle of sustaining the suspension of disbelief and realism. I hope these flags are a compromise.

0NXZa.jpg

A Bridge

8Ldyx.jpg

2JiqX.jpg

cHvo6.jpg

7Q3p3.jpg

A series of stations. Yes I am building a Transport system. My flaws in the past was that I was too intent with building in the next local section that I ended up having an illogical network. This time I have fore-thought of allowing expansion in all directions sustainably so that I will never 'paint myself into a corner' or have really awkward transition sections of path and transport. Each station building is unique in some way. I want to give a subtle clue to the themeing of the area whilst keeping the theme of the station somewhat consistent.

You can see that there is a river, and it brings an abundance of life to that corner of the desert. Who knows what wonders or horrors will be unearthed there?

A great use of Steelworx and the in-game walls, which I LOVE to see!

I hate custom supports :p
But I'm glad you like it.

But yeah I'm trying to see what I can do with default wall sets. Because I hate the format of the custom ones that I have used. It's just overwhelming number of jigsaw pieces.