What's new

RCT3 | CP10`s Intamin Challenge. (Voting Period)

reddude333

Giga Poster
Re: CP10`s Intamin Challenge. (OPEN)

I've got a brilliant idea...how about people stop "dropping out" and start submitting their entries...it's not like you haven't all put in loads of work on these. We want to see what you have to bring to the table...please...

Colossus

Giga Poster

^ Agree. So what if you don`t have custom supports. I have been really good to everyone time wise, and for you to drop out this late over that, is such a shame its almost criminal.

Josh73

Giga Poster

I've got a brilliant idea... Chill.
I'll enter if it makes you happy, have no supporting done at all, the support killer is already in place. When the comeptiton was going on basketball was coming to a close, and I didn't have time for RCT3, so chill out. Portemine dropped out just three days ago and got no criticisim. :roll:

reddude333

Giga Poster

Actually I believe we had multiple people encouraging portemine to stay in. And I was not directing my comment specifically at you but rather at everyone who has been in this comp for the majority of the time it's been open and right at the end has decided to drop out. I know what it's like to have basketball going on and such alright but it's not like we aren't all busy...I'm not trying to criticize anyone but rather (at this point) firmly encourage you all to enter.

Colossus

Giga Poster

I`m gutted portemine pulled up, I understand he`s got a real issue that probably cannot be resolved short term. But I`m still gutted none the less. I have wanted to see more of your coaster Josh since the picture you posted on your construction thread. I just don`t want to see you give up after vall the work you have put in, from what I have seen it looks really good and I think it would be a great complement to the competition. Where still waiting for JammyBand and addy, so there is time for you to pop some supports in and quickly do a pov.
Intamin track is real easy for support work because of the track shape, you can just put vertical pieces in, could be done in a couple of hours easy.

I`m not being grumpy or anything, put I`ve put a lot into this competition, I know we all have other priorities in life which is why I have been really kind in giving you guys as much time as you need, and for two people to drop out this late is a real shame.

But I`m going to tell you exactly the same as portemine, if your not happy with it or don`t think you can get it done then, don`t enter it. Its totally your choice, I just think its worth seeing and would be a credit to the competition.

scw55

Hyper Poster

There's a deadline. You lose nothing entering something you're not happy with. I don't think anyone has ever been entirely happy with their results (part of being an 'artist'). So in less you have a crippling problem that prevents you from sharing with us your work (your computer system deciding to pass-out due to the quantity of processing power needed as a result of CS, or the saved file being corrupted beyond recovering and you being demoralized), you have no reason not to.

The reason probably why fellow forums have been blunt to you is probably due to the 'pitiful' nature of the reason why you pulled out. It's not a technical issue of hardware being unyielding, it's a combination of underestimating time allocated and lack of self-confidence. It feels like you're reluctant to show us what you've worked on without custom supports. I don't think it matters. If you did a lot of work on the layout and scenery, then lack of custom supports won't be an issue. I myself prefer no custom supports over awful looking custom supports. I find seeing a tangle of steel can detract from a beautiful track layout or landscape. I'd rather have twiggley default supports than something that resembles a construction site or an industrial warehouse.

Don't take the negative comments too seriously. Be more self-confident in your work. Be more stubborn/arrogant in the right way about your work. Understand everyone's insecure about their work. When I saw Port's I felt intimidated. Then when I actually looked at mine, I realised I offered something different. I shouldn't worry about not being like someone else's because I never will produce projects like theirs nor actually enjoy doing them. I just want to see what you've done, so I can steal ideas :D I hate custom supports. They look good when they work, but so far, 75% of the time I find them unyieldingly. Also if you edit the terrain, you ruin the heights of the supports too.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Time to voice my own feeling about this deadline mess and the ensuing debate. No harmful intent. I genuinely believe scw55 made some pretty relevant points.

scw55 said:
There's a deadline. You lose nothing entering something you're not happy with.
Actually, I would have 'lost' something has I entered Virtù in its current state. The coaster and its surrounding area have several distinctive features I haven't shown yet. These aren't operational at all and displaying them right now would strip the 'surprise' that I intended to keep until I publish the finished creation.

scw55 said:
It feels like you're reluctant to show us what you've worked on without custom supports. I don't think it matters. If you did a lot of work on the layout and scenery, then lack of custom supports won't be an issue.
I partly agree. I don't think custom supports matter that much.
An example of great looking coaster without custom supports here :
(Yeah, there's many similarities with Virtù)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oIzM9xbPDQ[/youtube]

scw55 said:
I myself prefer no custom supports over awful looking custom supports. I find seeing a tangle of steel can detract from a beautiful track layout or landscape. I'd rather have twiggley default supports than something that resembles a construction site or an industrial warehouse.

Indeed. From my years long experience with rct3 however, I genuinely think thatusing custom supports is better than not. In my opinion, what you dislike is actually poor use of CS, not the custom supports themselves. SteelJungle and SteelChaos are far above in-game supports in terms of realism. You also have more freedom about choosing your supports' colors. And I believe a successful utilization of these CS does not detract from a beautiful layout or landscape, but enhance its beauty. It happens that I delete part of an entire structure and start over if its looks doesn't please me. In fact, support work is one of RCT3's aspects I find the most entertaining and challenging because there's so much room to improve.

scw55 said:
Don't take the negative comments too seriously. Be more self-confident in your work. Be more stubborn/arrogant in the right way about your work. Understand everyone's insecure about their work.
Excellent piece of advice there. I believe we must not search for everybody else's approval. I don't take comments too sensitively, I simply ignore their potential harshness they can be and learn from their possible relevance.

scw55 said:
I realised I offered something different. I shouldn't worry about not being like someone else's because I never will produce projects like theirs nor actually enjoy doing them. I just want to see what you've done, so I can steal ideas :D
100% agree. It's vain trying to be someone else but my works always draw inspiration from other creators or ever real-life coasters. I'll probably never ride Thunder Dolphin so I decided to imagine my own interpretation of this awesome looking Mega.

scw55 said:
Also if you edit the terrain, you ruin the heights of the supports too.
True for Steelworx and CF90's Megacoaster supports, but not for SteelJungle and SteelChaos, these CS aren't impacted by terraforming.

Colossus the Power of 10 said:
I`m not being grumpy or anything, put I`ve put a lot into this competition, I know we all have other priorities in life which is why I have been really kind in giving you guys as much time as you need, and for two people to drop out this late is a real shame.

I'm really unsatisfied and disappointed as by the outcome as well.
Anyway, I consider my own 'failure' as a lesson for me, about time-managing, making sure I can keep commitments and about how to introduce my works.

addy2503

Mega Poster

Here's my entry:
Main Test
Themed around a secret goverment testing facility in the middle of a forest that tests the effects of g-forces on the human body.

An overview of the area. (As you can see, the forest is not completely finished, but I wanted to get my entry in as quickly as I could).

Looking to the park from just outside the station.

The 3d cinema, called "The Briefing Room.

The drop tower, called "Preliminary Test".

The station of "Main Test".

The lift hill & first drop.

The bottom of the first drop & the rest of the pre-launch section.

The post-launch section & brake run.

Food, drink, first aid & Atm building.

POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7wG1Ko14s

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Too quick over the final bit for me. Also I would have put in a bit more scenery as it's quite bland at the moment. Some random buildings would havve conplemented the theme nicely.

If you ran out of time when making this, I understand but that's what I would have done. What's there is very good though.

JammyBand

Roller Poster

CP10, I have posted a note on the page before this one (its the 4th one down from the top) I suppose you must of missed it. :p Please reply to what I wrote their as it explains my situation more clearly. :)

-JammyBand

Colossus

Giga Poster

JammyBand said:
Hello. I have tried recording using shift+ctrl+F11 but after 20 minutes it has only loaded 20 seconds! I understand that RCT3 takes a series of photos before stitching them together to make a movie, therefore taking a long time, but 20 seems like an awful amount to me. Also, it has used an amazingly large amount of memory for just 20 seconds. So, I'm not going to use this method if I can. I can use a recording program called 'Fraps'. It records in .avi format so I hope that will be OK. However, it uses an OUTSTANDINGLY MASSIVE 2GB for just 2 minutes! (That's the length of my ride) I'm sure you can get video compressors (a link would be nice) which could reduce the huge size. Please reply if this would be suitable. If so, tell me the next steps. Thanks!

Also, how do you make a signature? :p

-JammyBand :--D

Hey man sorry I didn't reply to your message, I was meaning to check in with you to see how your getting on. That seems crazy, I was unaware recording caused memory problems. I have never had an issue like this so I`m not to sure on a fix, I done a Google search, https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1 ... compressor
but I wouldn't know how to go about it, I don't know if any of the links on Google search can help?

If you want a signature, you can go to the advertisement section of the forum and go to Rach`s shop and ask her for whatever you want, she`ll design it on post there when its done, you then just enter the code into the edit signature section of the edit profile.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

I'm back !

eridan07copier.jpg

Description and more pics in a few hours. I need some rest after this intense work.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUsKkCkM7Zc[/youtube]

EDIT :

Here is the description and pics I promised.

Entrance

eridan23copier.jpg

Station + A twister named Wizard + a shop selling umbrellas

eridan08copier.jpg

The second drop, 121ft. Phantom's Revenge inspiration.

eridan18copier.jpg

The overbanked turn, playing a bit with terrain + The final turnaround before the brakes

eridan17copier.jpg

An intense turnaround very close to the ground.

eridan16copier.jpg

Peeps can see parts of the coaster from Wizard's queue

eridan10copier.jpg

Colossus

Giga Poster

Lovely work portemine, hopefully we can get JammyBand a POV then I can finally put this into voting. :)

scw55

Hyper Poster

Is it possible to change the video to public? I eagerly want to watch the PoV but it says it's private :<

(Its amusing that some of the trees are levitating off the hillside at the trunk base :>)

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

I uploaded this vid late last night, being extremely tired (I woke up early to watch the grand prix). I've checked the trees ans bushes but yeah, I missed some.

I'm currently struggling to bring the POV in a higher quality (that's why the vid is private right now) WMW transformed a HQ 1280x768 into some 800*600 crap while Adobe Effects made me crash my computer... more technical issues.

JammyBand

Roller Poster

I now have a POV! WOOT! :--D
Click this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chu1qTWc ... e=youtu.be

Sorry about the quality, but I had to compress it. I did that using a couple of awesome programs. There were 'Virtual Dub and Xvid. The were amazing! A 2GB file into 75.8MB!!!! Anyway, hope you enjoy!

-JammyBand
(I know my username is horrible but I made it when I was very young)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Great work! :--D Nice scenery and 90 degree turns over the water! The setting and part of the layout remind me slightly of Desperado, even though that's an arrow hyper. But still. Welcome to CF anyway, your username is fine (there are some more bizzare one's around) and so was the quality of the video.

As usual Cp10, I haven't been able to enter, so sorry about that. My rct3 thread should be up soon anyway (going slightly off on a tangent), where you shall see what I'm occupied with at the moment. Although I'd love to enter another one, when I have more time.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Great entry`s guys. Right I`m closing the competition now and putting it to vote.
Remember you guys account for 40% of the vote, So I`d like you guys to PM me with your scores, I would like you to score marks out of 10 for Track Layout, Track Realism, Theming and Surrounding Area.
Your voting on.

Uncharted - Drake`s Fortune - reddude333 (Page 10)
Winter`s Palace - scw55 (Page 10)
Sandy Bay`s Scorching Thrill - JammyBand (Page 11 pov page 13)
Main Test - addy2503 (page12)
Eridan - portemine (Page 13))

Results will be posted next Monday, so if you could all post your score before then that would be great, thanks.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Re: CP10`s Intamin Challenge. (Voting Period)

Just want to confirm that you mean that we should give a score out of 10 for each of the 4 categories?