What's new

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

The tunnel doesn't look that greatly themed compared to the rest of the area, I was hoping they were going to bury it or something.

There are a few lights inside the tunnel but like you said you can't tell on the video due to someone filming it with a hamburger.

The theming is looking beautiful. I especially like the station and shop. Great building theming!

Sidenote: Someone seriously needs a better video camera, lol

Looks like the water effects almost lead the train though, which seems new to me. Can anyone else think of any B&Ms that do that?

reddude333 said:
The theming is looking beautiful. I especially like the station and shop. Great building theming!

Sidenote: Someone seriously needs a better video camera, lol

Looks like the water effects almost lead the train though, which seems new to me. Can anyone else think of any B&Ms that do that?
The new Wingrider's all start with the front car, by the looks of it, they don't wait for the train to run before firing the water cannons.

TheCoasterCruiser said:
Someone is getting fired.
Let's hope so, simply for making the first POV with such a dire camera.

^^Thanks Lofty. I haven't seen any of the footage showing that but I like the idea. This way you might get a mist without having to be in the last row like Diamondback, and even then you have to hold your hands back to feel the spray.

Quality POV
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMe9vgJSINo[/youtube]

Shambhala opened about 14.30 to all the public. Just now, fully operating, with a queue of about 2 hours. Just amazing

That POV looks awesome! Anyone heard anything from people who have ridden it yet?

EDIT: A guy on TPR says this: "Absolutely amazing! The hardest airtime is in the third camelback before the splash. I have "flown" for 2-3 seconds approx.
My fisrt hyper. Very very impressive."

But then it is there first hyper, will be interesting to hear from someone who can compare it other hypers...

Just got back from the park.

I will post a detailed review of the ride later but the ride truly delivers airtime, especially back row. Don't expect a ride like Khan because Shambhala is a bit tame (for my test) in terms of B&M intensity but definitely rerideable and a lot of fun.

POV looks great, nice pacing.

Still hoping there will be more theming on the tunnel, maybe PA will add to it in the off season like Heide park did with Krake.

To all of you going ape **** over the Point of View video - this ride is no different than any other over-engineered B&M hyper in the world, the hills will feel the same as anything does here in the United States, and the forces are controlled to create a comfortable and smooth experience for the guest. The marketing guy who called Shambhala a family coaster had it exactly right, you wont fluctuate gravitational forces more than 0 gravity on this one - it's about as safe as they come in terms of rides.

If you want something exciting and that pushes the boundaries of physics, I'd suggest you stick to riding Expedition Geforce or Balder.

Yep, looks like a B&M hyper. Nothing new there, but I definitely like the flow of the layout, the "&", and the splashdown. Good combination of elements.

Mike T said:
this ride is no different than any other over-engineered B&M hyper in the world, the hills will feel the same as anything does here in the United States

Exactly what I said early on ;) Other than that ampersand element it'll run the same as any other. Europe is hyper deprived.

Which is fine, and I hope everybody enjoys the ride - but to call it special when it comes from the same recipe as every other coaster from the B&M catalog shows how out of touch Europeans can be when it comes to new coasters. Shambhala will be great for the massive amount of people that visit Port Aventura - but it's not going any faster, nor is it pulling forces any stronger than anything else on the market. So congratulations on the big coaster - but don't try to tell everybody else that it's different, because it's not. Wait until you get a true badass Intamin and then report back to us.

Actully other than leviathan which is in Canada, this will be taller and faster than the other beemers in the states, plus like Leviathan it has a speed hill which will give a real good dose of airtime without you having to sit in the back row like on most hypers. The ampersand is unique and looks great, also how many hypers can you name that have both a tunnel and a splashdown-effect?
Nobody ever said it was going to to be an extreme and crazy ride, the reason people are so pleased to see it running well is more to do with a negative outlook we have of expecting the great new ride to be ruined by trims. Are you going to have a strop every time another country builds a big coaster to rival the ones in the states? It's probably only a matter of time before the tallest coaster record makes its way over to Asia.

Mike T said:
To all of you going ape **** over the Point of View video - this ride is no different than any other over-engineered B&M hyper in the world, the hills will feel the same as anything does here in the United States, and the forces are controlled to create a comfortable and smooth experience for the guest. The marketing guy who called Shambhala a family coaster had it exactly right, you wont fluctuate gravitational forces more than 0 gravity on this one - it's about as safe as they come in terms of rides.

If you want something exciting and that pushes the boundaries of physics, I'd suggest you stick to riding Expedition Geforce or Balder.

I don't get why people can't handle the fact some people like these rides?

Oh no, it'll ride like Behemoth... One of my favourite rides in the World <//3

I happen to prefer every B&M Hyper I've done bar Silver Star to EGF thanks.

Mike T said:

Just reading back through the last couple of pages I can't really see where people are going 'ape ****' about this. Most of the positive comments are about how attractive the area looks and that the POV looks a decent speed compared to the first testing we saw which made it look horribly slow.

Port Aventura is a very accessible park for Brits, cheap flights and accommodation in Salou makes it just as affordable as holidaying near British parks. So riding this is a reality for people like me, and the only Hyper we have in the UK is PMBO. Shambhala certainly looks awesome compared to this. Not sure why I feel like I have to justify my excitement, but oh well.

And your point about Expedition Geforce, well I hear VERY mixed reviews about this, some saying it runs so badly now it basically stalls on the final hills. And Balder, a wooden coaster, is hardly comparable to Shambhala, obviously this is going to give a very different ride experience.