What's new

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

Lofty

CF Legend
The picture Ollie posted makes me giddy inside.

Smithy said:
That angle makes Khan look pathetic :(

View from the airport might be good though.
If the view from that angle makes Khan look pathetic, it's also going to do that from any other angle, we all knew that?

tucoaster

Roller Poster
New photo of the model of a different angle (no more angles left lol)
shambhala_expedicion_al_himalaya_8.jpg

And a photo of the new park map, where we can see shambhala
planoportaventura.jpg

Source http://www.tucoaster.com/noticias/port- ... html?hl=es

Smithy

Strata Poster
-lofty- said:
The picture Ollie posted makes me giddy inside.

Smithy said:
That angle makes Khan look pathetic :(

View from the airport might be good though.
If the view from that angle makes Khan look pathetic, it's also going to do that from any other angle, we all knew that?

It was moreso that from that angle the drop lines up with Khan's almost parralel, from elsewhere you should be able not to see them side-by-side so to speak.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Thought this may be of interest. PAC have uploaded a video of the lift hill being placed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NJAmnuG0qg[/youtube]

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The thing I'm wondering is why Port Adventura things this will cause so much hype. They've been refering to it as some sort of insane thrill machine (I recall in the announcement that they said something along the lines of "Like every mountain climber facing a tough situation has to find their own method of dealing with it, each rider will have to find their own way of tackling this coaster.") I also read somewhere (I forget where, though) that they expected it to recieve international hype. The thing is that right now it looks like it will be a parking lot coaster, which doesn't seem like something Port Adventura would do. It doesn't look anymore thrilling than Diamondback or Intimidator (which isn't bad, as I've ridden both and loved them) and the only unique thing I can see is the inclined loop-y thing on the turnaround (which I've done in RCT3 before and while it did look fun, it just looked like a drawn-out overbank that twisted around over itself).

So the only thing that could set this ride apart from other hypers despite being a few feet taller would have to be the theming, but so far by the looks of the model there won't be any theming, and the most theming I could see on a ride this fast could possibly be a small mountain-shaped tunnel filled with mist. The splashdown might be themed too, but I doubt it, as most water in the Himilayas would probably be frozen solid. The only real theming I could see might be temple-like stuff.

Also, even if they theme this as well as they've themed some of their other attractions, Everest-themed rides have had a lot to live up to since Disney did Expedition Everest. That ride looks VERY well themed and I don't think something this big and fast could pull off that much theming. But I could be wrong, and hopefully I am. I want this ride to make a big splash, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

D1993

Hyper Poster
Well, maybe for whatever reason it'll ride faster and more intense than all the other B&M Hypers ...
These sorts of coasters are incredibly popular though among the public, so whether or not they advertise it as you say as an international-recognition sort of ride, it will be hugely popular ................... most likely the most popular ride for the park to ever add.

Lofty

CF Legend
2012Jarrett said:
The thing I'm wondering is why Port Adventura things this will cause so much hype. They've been refering to it as some sort of insane thrill machine (I recall in the announcement that they said something along the lines of "Like every mountain climber facing a tough situation has to find their own method of dealing with it, each rider will have to find their own way of tackling this coaster.") I also read somewhere (I forget where, though) that they expected it to recieve international hype. The thing is that right now it looks like it will be a parking lot coaster, which doesn't seem like something Port Adventura would do. It doesn't look anymore thrilling than Diamondback or Intimidator (which isn't bad, as I've ridden both and loved them) and the only unique thing I can see is the inclined loop-y thing on the turnaround (which I've done in RCT3 before and while it did look fun, it just looked like a drawn-out overbank that twisted around over itself).
For a start; It's Port AVENTURA not Adventura. Sorry, it was grating on me that's all...

A parking lot coaster? Ok, the term "Parking Lot Coaster" came from the coasters that were actually built on Car Park's, this is far from it. This is using terrain and slight hills in the terrain. It's following the train ride. It's very obvious from your post you haven't been to the park...

So the only thing that could set this ride apart from other hypers despite being a few feet taller would have to be the theming, but so far by the looks of the model there won't be any theming, and the most theming I could see on a ride this fast could possibly be a small mountain-shaped tunnel filled with mist. The splashdown might be themed too, but I doubt it, as most water in the Himilayas would probably be frozen solid. The only real theming I could see might be temple-like stuff.
So, the fact that it's Europe's tallest isn't going to play into this at all? Right, ok, sorry, I forgot about that. That's how they're actually going to be building international hype with this. It's a big coaster, people/enthusiasts will definitely hear about this coaster through it's many press sources and will flock to the park. Trust me, it'll work.

You're a bit stupid to say the least, because some of the himalayas water sources are frozen, they can't add a splash down? HA. This bit tickled me. Wait, Expedition Everest, hmm, doesn't that have a WATERFALL?! Yes, Pretty sure it does. Bringing me on to your next point...

Also, even if they theme this as well as they've themed some of their other attractions, Everest-themed rides have had a lot to live up to since Disney did Expedition Everest. That ride looks VERY well themed and I don't think something this big and fast could pull off that much theming. But I could be wrong, and hopefully I am. I want this ride to make a big splash, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
They won't add much theming, I can tell you this now. If you look at ALL their other coasters, apart from the station and good terrain theming, they've got no aesthetic themeing items along the path. It's just a fact. PortAventura can actually theme amazing when it comes to the face value of things, such as facades, queues, shows, themed rides etc. but when it comes to their coasters, they're not themed at all.

marc

CF Legend
Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

For me I just hope it's better than the 2 current tallest ones as they are both ****.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Second section up!

2201122.jpg

2201123.jpg

2201124.jpg

2201127.jpg

Source: PA-Fans.com

Loos like the coaster is already taller than Khan. Only 100 feet to go! (I bet the lift will be finished by next Sunday)

Kebab

Giga Poster
Whats going on with Condor about 3/4 up the tower? They working on it?

Other than that, looking forward to seeing the drop on this!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
A member from PA-C that works at the park said that PA were shooting a documentary about the construction of Shambhala. I guess having the cars that high facing directly at the construction site makes for a good spot to shoot a video. That or it could be random maintenance, although this car have been stuck there for a while...

I am he

Roller Poster
Is anyone else dissapointed in the location of this coaster? The thing I love about PA is how beautifully laid out the whole park is...There is nothing like walking in and seeing the beautiful imprint of Khan on the skyline against the blue sky. I mean, the coaster in itself looks amazing, but with the repaint of Khan, and the fact that Shambhala is basically on top of Khan, is starting to look like carpark Sixflags bright-coloured junk.

Ben

CF Legend
^Yeah, about 80% of this topic has been "I hate its location", 10% "I hate the colour" 5% "actually, the colour's amazing" 4% "it looks a bit crap" and 1% me going "IT LOOKS AMAZING".

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Isn't it just that they haven't painted it yet?