What's new

Parque Warner Madrid | Gotham City Escape | Intamin Launch Coaster | 2023

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I hate to say the thing but man does that look slow. The airtime hill looks great and dive loop look alright but that "snappy" transition and wave turn look very mild. I thought Velocicoaster's wave turn was weak but this is miles worse. The stall could use some more speed. I like hangtime just as much as the next guy but that seems a bit overkill.

On the bright side testing footage is almost always slow. Furthermore if I recall correctly Velocicoaster's early test runs were also pretty slow but I might be wrong.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Looks like theyre trying something different and almost trying to replicate the holding brake of a Dive Machine as opposed to airtime.
Yes... that is the entire purpose, to create a "cliffhanger drop" effect. They didn't just add trims willy nilly because it was going too fast, it is intentional and the rest of the layout is designed proportionally to this.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Yes... that is the entire purpose, to create a "cliffhanger drop" effect. They didn't just add trims willy nilly because it was going too fast, it is intentional and the rest of the layout is designed proportionally to this.
Yeah I get that, can see from that first airtime hill it would be going way too fast over that without the trim.

I'd just prefer airtime there. The top hat is apparnetly a highlight of Velocicoaster so it seems strange not to stick with that formula.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Yeah, can't say I really 'get' the whole trim thing.
It's not like there's a slow 'tension building' lift hill into a huge drop akin to a Dive Coaster, so replicating a holding brake seems a bit ****ing stupid to me.
May as well just bin the launches if they're not going to maximise the sense of speed for the remainder of the layout.

I think this coaster may be having an identity crisis.

What are you?!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
That holding brake on the top hat was definitely a bad idea. It probably can't be undone because the rest of the layout would get taken too fast.

The rest of the layout looks a reasonable speed to me.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
so it seems strange not to stick with that formula.
A ton of factors play into that. The park could have either specifically requested that feature, or liked it enough to purchase it when Intamin pitched it to them.

Keeping the same tophat height, but with no trims, requires larger elements later on, which in turn requires more physical space for the layout. More layout = more steel = more costly, and so on.
It probably can't be undone because the rest of the layout would get taken too fast.
Precisely. It was a feature they wanted or were sold on, and the layout after this was designed accordingly. That said, once it warms up & the wheels break in, the speed through the last corkscrew & wave turn into the third launch will definitely improve.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
I hope it starts gaining speed on more tests or when it opens to guests. It looks like a great ride, but it could get the elements with more speed to make it possibly elite.

jasone

Roller Poster
I hope it starts gaining speed on more tests or when it opens to guests. It looks like a great ride, but it could get the elements with more speed to make it possibly elite.

I honestly don’t think it’s going to speed up that much. The profiling of the top hat suggests it was always designed for that holding brake to slow it for so long. You can see how much tighter the radius of the top hats drop becomes straight after the fins. I’d like to hope the last launch kicks a little faster so you go through that stall with a bit more speed though…

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah I don't see a difference either tbh. The slow stall I can get behind, especially if the onboard audio compliments it, but the rest of the layout just looks a bit drab when it's going at that speed :(

Still, I won't judge fully until I try it! Hopefully it's open by mid May!

JFranks

Mega Poster
Does it tho 👀
Compared to the first test it does for me, especially in the wave turn just before launch 3 and in the Outward Banked Dive Loop. Also, I think it takes the top hat with higher speed, but keep in mind that it doesn't matter because the trim brakes are the same so it's always going to slow down to more or less the same speed at the top. The difference will be made by hotter wheels/day.

Last edited:

oriolat2

Giga Poster
It looks definitely tamer than Toutatis. Maybe we'all be wrong and it will feel much faster once we are on it.

By the way, is that backwards launch built into the ride sequence or is the second launch going to be a rolling launch?

i305_zack

Mega Poster
It looks definitely tamer than Toutatis. Maybe we'all be wrong and it will feel much faster once we are on it.

By the way, is that backwards launch built into the ride sequence or is the second launch going to be a rolling launch?
I was thinking the same thing lol, hopefully just a rolling launch