What's new

Parc Asterix |"Oz'Iris"| B&M Invert

peep

CF Legend
I just wish I could get a night ride on this now after these latest pics, oh well, it'll still be great during the day.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
CPcisco said:
Just thought I would model up a Zero-G roll to visually show what UC is saying here.

Sitdown
Heartlinevisual.gif

Invert
0G_Invert.gif

Same parabolic heartline travel (shown by the arrows), but the heartline roll just inverts you at the apex (where zero-G would be felt).

These are gorgeous. Do we have permission to borrow them, or would you want to watermark them first?

CPcisco

Mega Poster
Haha, wow I didn't expect the reaction I got from these two images. :eek: I have no problem with anyone borrowing them, and I am not really too worried about creating watermarked versions. All I ask is that it is treated like any other image and is properly given credit when being posted elsewhere.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I understand that 0-g rolls follow a parabola, but that doesn't mean that every parabola is the same size and entered at the same speed. All of us have probably taken algebra and most of us calculus, so we should know how easily it is to stretch and skew a parabola mathematically. Yes, even though back in 1992 B&M was using a parabola, it seems like they were designing 0-g rolls to be higher and sharper. Recently, 0-g rolls seem to be shorter and more drawn out with a longer roll. For a visual representation...

...This:

mbkerka5o8080008004m33.jpg

or better yet, this:

2203322.jpg

is similar, but not the same as this:

j732he3oes62q0005j8rmt.jpg

or this:

ShuckinEscapade108.jpg

You have an engineering degree and that's perfectly fine. I've learned quite a lot from you over the years. That doesn't mean that the rest of us are clueless though. Some of us are working on our own engineering degrees ourselves. I may not have taken fluid dynamics, heat transfer, or higher level engineering classes yet, but I don't need to have taken those classes to know what a parabola is and how it's used in 0-g roll design.

CPcisco

Mega Poster
^ I think I see what you are saying here, but let me just make sure. The difference between a "newer" and an "older" zero-g roll is that the "newer" ones begin the roll into the inverted position farther down the hill. The "older" version waited until the train was almost at the apex of the parabola until it snapped the train into the inverted position. Both versions use the same parabola though, and therefore if Raptor was designed today the zero-g roll would still reach the same height that it reaches today. The shape of it would be drastically different though as the roll would start farther down the hill and create a more parabolic shaped inversion such as what Black Mamba or Patriot have. The feeling of weightlessness would be the same in both versions, but the laterals leading up to that zero-g are more drawn out and not as sudden in the "newer" version.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I don't think they'll ever run three trains. In fact, I would bet my money that the ride has been designed to run two trains and always have a third one under maintenance...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Re: Parc Asterix |"Oz'Iris"| B&M Invert

Got to ride Oz Iris yesterday. It does have single rider and they were only running cars 1 and 3, and managed to break one of the back row seats already!

It's a lovely ride, very flowing and fluid and smooth. The first drop is gorgeous and the pacing is constant throughout . However, it's not a very intense ride overall. I did only ride in the morning though. A really nice looking addition to the park.

Annoyingly the ride closed half an hour before park closing - worth noting if you want late rerides.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ok, do you mean they were only letting single rides onto row's 1 and 3? Does anything else at Asterix have single rider (Zeus, Goudrix)?

msep003

Roller Poster
Yes Oziris got a Single Rider line but last time i went on Sunday it wasn't opened ! I wonder why but i think they prefer the Oziris Staff to accomodate with the capacity first than taking care of the single rider line .

Pretty much like in Alton Towers of Thorpe Park where they forgot the single riders .

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Re: Parc Asterix |"Oz'Iris"| B&M Invert

Martyn B said:
Ok, do you mean they were only letting single rides onto row's 1 and 3? Does anything else at Asterix have single rider (Zeus, Goudrix)?

Sorry if u confused you. There are three trains but they were only running those numbered one and three on Mon. Nothing to do with single riders. Not sure but I dont think many other rides had single rider, I didn't notice anyway. The park seems v quiet though in general. It was Easter sun and there was a new b and m, but the park was still dead! Walk on to Goudrix and only ten mins for Oz Iris all day!