What's new

Parc Asterix |"Oz'Iris"| B&M Invert

Re: "Unknown", B&M Invert for Parc Asterix

It does appear to take the final zero-g at a snails pace.

But, it is still only testing....

Eh I think Silver Bullet is an excellent ride. So while people seem to be putting this invert down by drawing comparisons with SB, I only see it as a good thing.

Some people here have clearly already made up their mind as to how this will ride. I shall keep my mind open until I get to give it a bash (hopefully next year)

Martyn B said:
It does appear to take the final zero-g at a snails pace.

But, it is still only testing....
That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Check out 01:23 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Vr3HScsKc
Sorry for the horrific music!

Patriot looks like it crawls through the zero-g, right? Well when riding it is, without doubt, the best zero-g I've done. It was perfect floater and no whipping through the flip. There was none of the rattling, snapping, whipping that you get on the Batman rides, or Nemesis (I like the zero-gs on them, but they're fairly brutal). Patriot's zero-g is amazing, and if the one on this coaster is like that, then it's going to be incredible.

So hopefully it's going to be like Patriot's, and the fact that it's slow won't matter.

^Agreed, if it was fast then it just wouldn't feel like a zero-G...

I personally think that it looks great. Even if it looks slow, it doesn't mean it won't be fun to ride...

Out of all the B&M Inverts I've been on, my favorites were Talon and Raptor.
Ive been on the Batman ones, and theyre petty insane. I still loved them, but Talon and Raptor win out for me :)
I dont think theres anything wrong with it going kinda slow-ish through the zero-g!
Again, the first half does not look slow at all.
All the way up to after the immelman, the train really zips through the layout!!

peep said:
^I'm finding that some of the videos make it look slow and some make it look fast. I don't know if that's just me or it's the way it has been filmed.
Agreed, in this video, it hurls through those elements:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_GmRNqVeE&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Whereas in this one, it really does seem to be crawling:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnS1atEO1NA&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Speeds actually vary alot, probably more than people realise!

You should see Nemesis do it's first test run in the mornings when it's cold, and unloaded. It crawls round the circuit, even the final wingover. By then end of the day the thing flies though.

I never believed there was that much difference until I noticed it in person. A lot of factors play into it and I can imagine they'll see a lot of differences when testing. It's probably part of the reason for trims, to maintain consistency.

The faster video may simply be an over-speed test to examine the stress levels.
Who knows, lets just see when this thing opens.

Grease thickens up when it's cold, incase anyone doesn't know. After a full day of running a ride the grease will be relatively fluid.

They will be adjusting wheel tension between tests (how tight the wheel assemblies grip the track), hence the difference in speed. I imagine they'd start off really slack to avoid a stall, then tighten them up from there according to some kind of guideline set by B&M.

And as someone said before, it will look alot slower with no-one riding it due to the trains being lighter and having fractionally less momentum, and with the lubricating oil for the wheels being cold (this makes it thicker and more stiff than if it was warmed up).

Something like that I reckon! :)

Bear said:
They will be adjusting wheel tension between tests (how tight the wheel assemblies grip the track), hence the difference in speed. I imagine they'd start off really slack to avoid a stall, then tighten them up from there according to some kind of guideline set by B&M.

And as someone said before, it will look alot slower with no-one riding it due to the trains being lighter and having fractionally less momentum, and with the lubricating oil for the wheels being cold (this makes it thicker and more stiff than if it was warmed up).

Something like that I reckon! :)

Not entirely certain on that one.. Tolerances have to be tight, so being able to adjust the wheel tension seems like a rather easy way for a wheel carriage to fail.

If you watch the videos they have water test dummies in the trains.

I don't think they adjust the wheel tension either. I do know though that B&M have different types of wheels with different friction. So they'll change some of the wheels between test runs until the train completes the coaster in the calculated time (to assure the forces are within limits).

andrus said:
I don't think they adjust the wheel tension either. I do know though that B&M have different types of wheels with different friction. So they'll change some of the wheels between test runs until the train completes the coaster in the calculated time (to assure the forces are within limits).

Yeah that makes sense, I know that on Schwarzkopf trains you can manually adjust the wheel tension, 1st generation Arrow trains you can't, no idea about B&Ms though.

This is most certainly my cup of tea :) B&M's have always been my favourites and when I saw this on rcdb I immediately started planning when to go! I know its been brought up many times before and it always brings different opinions but I always thought B&M's were getting a little weak over the years, so its nice to see something like this "unnamed coaster" being built. Cant believe they havnt named it yet! :?:

Theming is coming along

37963429941141008363918.jpg

37491129941136675031018.jpg

37696729941133008364718.jpg

39160129941113675033318.jpg

Pics from Facebook Neverland Decors