What's new

Olympia-Looping at London's German Christmas Market

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I'm excited, but I don't think it'll be good teebs.
Drop -> loop -> fast turn -> double loop looks a good sequence though.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
I'm quite excited about this, I will travel up to have a spin. It's going to have a great visual appeal for the gp.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm gonna get so so so so much hate here, but, I'm not overtly excited? It might just be me who finds nearly ever Schwarz I've been on to be completely over rated, but yeah - great for the line up, but personally, I'm a bit 'meh'.
I think - for me - it's more that this is actually a substantial major ride coming to the UK fair. That's kinda groundbreaking regardless of which major ride it is, ya know?

Casio

Mega Poster
I'm gonna get so so so so much hate here, but, I'm not overtly excited? It might just be me who finds nearly ever Schwarz I've been on to be completely over rated, but yeah - great for the line up, but personally, I'm a bit 'meh'.

I think the main appeal of Schwarzkopfs is that they pull a lot more force than other coasters of their era; I definitely found this with Scorpion, Jetline and Lisebergbanan, but I agree none of them are really that great. Olympia Looping on the other hand I found to actually be a bit forceless, but really, really smooth, both of which surprised me. It's not amazing, but for me it's on par with Nemesis Inferno/Swarm/Air and other not-that-fantastic UK coasters. So when you think that this travelling fairground ride is as good as some of the UK's main major coasters, that's what makes it amazing for me (it's also longer than any UK coaster other than PMBO and Ultimate).

Considering how good the flat ride line up is (I'd say second only to Thorpe; Hangover and Air were phenomenal last year), with Olympia Looping it'd be interesting to see how HPWW ranks amongst other UK theme parks: I'd definitely put it above Oakwood and Fantasy Island. That's a bit depressing really...

Lofty

CF Legend
Don't get me wrong, it'll be great for the line up and people will love it, but it's just not for me.

Out of the 'bigger' Schwarzkopf's I've done: Scorpion, Jetline, Lisebergbanan, Knightmare, Tower of Terror, Bullet & Magnum Force, and I just found them to be 'OK', somewhat underwhelming.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Saw it in the flesh yesterday (my photo is floating around online too) and even with two loops thought it was impressive.

I could repeat all the nerdisms people have already given (I'm a retro nerd so I could go on and on, see name + profile pic etc) but I'll just say I think this will be a great ride to watch as a spectator- to the point where the non-nerds will pause to watch it which I think will be great.

S

SimonSays99

The shoulder clamps need getting used to. Try to keep you back up pressing against them even while you are in the compression. If you don't do that the clamps will come down a notch and make the ride quite uncomfortable outside the compression. I recommend to put your hands onto the backrest of the seat in front so you have a little leverage to push against the clamps. So helps if you have a spine ;)

The highest ongoing Gs you will have inside the fast turn out the first loop and into the 2nd and 3rd loop. IMO Looping-Star, Double-Loop or similar cannot compare with forces. I think the only Schwarzkopf coasters to compare OL force-wise are Triple-Loops and Thriller - while the later was even more intense than OL.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Eeeew. Had no idea it had those awful, concertina shoulder things. They're f**king gross and 100% unnecessary. They ruined a bunch of decent rides on Bullet and totally destroyed any enjoyment of that monstrosity at Wonder Island.

S

SimonSays99

Well the shoulder clamps are needed on OL as the clearance in some places is so tight that taller riders would bang their arms/hands onto track/supports if they were allowed to raise or spread their arms fully.

I have seen it happening on Double-Loops as a tall guy spread its arms sideways while the track threaded the loops and he broke one of his wrists. I guess that why later coasters were equipped with these shoulder clamps.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I'm actually really pleased this is coming to the UK, I told a couple of people at work today when they were talking about visiting WW this year and they seemed pretty excited about it. I think it's going to be a hit.
Shame it's gonna cost so bloody much to ride!

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I'm really looking forward to going on this as it's a coaster I've wanted to go on for a long time. I also took a wander to Hyde Park today and couldn't resist taking a picture :)

14937389_10154689322188033_772122416310631797_n.jpg

Ben

CF Legend
I didn't find the restraints too bad, I just thought the ride was ****ing fab.

It's so close yay, I might have to wonder down at some point and have a look.

Temleh

Mega Poster
Word has it that it will operate as "Munich Looping" as one of the legal conditions requires the removal of anything Olympia / Olympic related. This includes the "Olympia" sign and various Olympic logos around the attraction.

S

SimonSays99

Well in Germany Barth was sued by the IOC ages ago for infringement of Olympic Games logos and signage - Barth went through all instances of courts and got the better end of it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So we're probably looking at ~£25 to get all four creds? Boo... It'll probably do it still though. :D

Hoping to head there at the start of December.