What's new

"Now Showing"

RCF

Strata Poster
Two movies last night.

Ponyo

1,000,000/10

Ok so here's the reason, me and my friends have a weird inside joke about this so we decided to see it yesterday and it was so awesome because we were easily the oldest people in there (minus the parents) and we were making jokes all through the movie and laughing our butts off and the song at the end was the best because it was sung by Noah Cyrus and Frankie Jonas

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX82kFE4KxY[/youtube]

Best song ever! :--D

The Haunting of Molly Hartley

1/10

This movie confused me massively. I had no idea what was going on, and it was still a stupid and pointless movie. And the ending was crap too.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Just watched Crank and Crank 2 back to back.

As far as stupid no brainer, silly, dumb a$$, dumb action movies go.. they both succeded in what they set out to do.

Pure entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Leave your brain at the door. Dont try to analyze anything, dont try to over think it.. drink some beer, or smoke something (whatever floats your boat) and watch with your brain turned off - and enjoy!

Unlike other dumb crppy action movies, this film KNOWS its a dumb crppy action movie.. And as such is REALLY enjoyable to watch. No pretension, no attitude.. just pure simple stupid dumb fun.

Recommended (just leave your brain behind)

7/10

wash

Mega Poster
^^There's nothing wrong with making fun of a movie at your house or in an empty theater, but I doubt anybody there appreciated you and you friends "laughing your butts off" while they were trying to watch the movie. Seriously, show some consideration for those around you. Uh... That's pretty much it.

RCF

Strata Poster
No I mean it was an inside joke you wouldn't understand I actually liked the movie and thought it was decent just some of it needed to be laughed at. I thought it's a good movie.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Saw 300 some time back.

Excellent showoff of what must be the history's worst example of battle tactics. I could live with the exaggeration everywhere (what happened to the sky?), but the film made it look like Xerxes and his men won the huge empire by pure luck. It's OK that the Spartans are good soldiers, but in order to make it look like that, the enemy was dumbed down to new levels of silly. I mean, why sending wave after wave of a specific type of soldiers, and rarely ever use arrows? Heck, even doing nothing would have worked better against the 300. If the generals had had any brain, they would have sent in a wave of infantry to keep them busy, then swept the area clean with a shower of arrows. Instead, they try a single bombardement, then send in a new class of soldiers with predictable intervals and plenty of time to rest in between. The real battle was fought in hilly terrain, and there were about 7000 Greeks present.
Also, the script was somewhat mediocre. But the visuals were good.
So 6/10 it is.

Snoo

The Legend
You do know it was based on a graphic novel poke.. and not real life? If it was meant to be just like real life, it would have been.

Push

It was ok.. for a sci fi movie kinda.

6/10

Jake

Strata Poster
I've already seen it (when it came out, in the Cinema, with Ben), but I decided to watch 1408 again yesterday.

Still one of my favourite films. It's so psychological, so trippy, and doesn't rely on violence/gore at all. It's awsome.

^^ Yeah, like I said on your Facebook comment, 1408 is a fantastic film, and it's quite possibly the only film of its type that I can watch over and over again without getting bored of it. You can definitely put yourself where the character is and I dunno, it makes it that much more scary, and everytime I watch it, I always think it's gonna change and that he's gonna get out, and when he doesn't, I get pissed.

Definitely a fantastic psychological thriller!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's still rubbish - no matter how many people are fooled into thinking otherwise. Tedious, tedious film.

^ Yah right, it's exciting from the time he gets into the hotel room until the end! I don't think I've ever been so pissed off in a movie as when he was free and then realized he was still in the room, ugh.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I found the film really boring. It didn't do anything well at all.

Then again, the original story was also a huge pile of big girls pants anyway - so it didn't have a good foundation.

I'd like to think it's one of those films where I'm just not understanding something, or missing something important which is why I didn't like it.

However I'm not. It's just a dull story with some over the top scenes and a boring, obvious ending. Dull, dull, dull, dull, dull! And I like Alien! ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
To me, 1408 is the ultimate nightmare, I'
a tad claustrophobic etc, and that film just plays on my mind. Like Taylor said, you feel SOOO angry and helpless when you realise he actually hasn't been set free. Awesome movie!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I just felt - "thank **** the film has finally finished" to be honest. I didn't care what happened to him. Just left me cold, but I'm not in the slightest but claustrophobic.

wash

Mega Poster
^Alien is the best horror film ever,
iceland-fishing-highlands-casting.jpg

which reminds me, can anybody familiar with The Good,
The Bad, and The Ugly tell me which cut they prefer (extended or theatrical)?
Ben's not allowed to answer.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wash, it really depends on how much you enjoy the cinematography of Leone. The film is long and drawn out anyway in the traditional cut. The extended one just adds even more to it.

TG,TB ATU was one of my favourite films from when I was young, but that was the theatrical release. I don't see any problem with sticking with that, and if you love it, going for the extended version?

Just make sure you've seen the first two first, for a few dollars more is brilliant :)

peep

CF Legend
Last night I watched Brazil.

I've wanted to see this for years because it has such good reviews. I was mainly baffled by this film. It does have it's good moments but the random crazy parts take up too much of the film which actually annoyed me a little (not sure why). If there is one thing the film exceeds at it is definitely creating tension and suspense. Maybe I should have expected it to be more random, I mean it is a film by Terry Gilliam after all.

Rating: 2/5

marc

CF Legend
Finally got to see Angels and Demons last night.

I have not read the book so this may have made the film better. I thought it was fantastic and had no idea who the person behind it was, it was so well done.

I did not get bored at all during the film, I felt totally involved with it.

The music in the film to the way it was shot was out standing.

10/10 just an all round great film.