What's new

"Now Showing"

Homer

Hyper Poster
District 9

In yet another summer of cash-ins, disappointing sequels, etc. This film, despite being bashed by some vocal critics, is one of the deepest Sci-Fi films I've seen. Some of the best action I've seen all summer and GREAT special effects for its budget ($30 million and it somehow did just as good of a job as any Michael Baysplosions film). I highly urge everybody to see this film NOW! Best Action Film of 2009? You bet.

9/10

The only other good original films I've seen this past summer (ones that are not cash-ins or sequels) are Up and The Hangover.

Snoo

The Legend
^Agreed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTlG-gxPAA[/youtube]

Holy **** awesome. I cannot wait to see this one.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Inglorious Basterds is amazing, another masterpiece from Tarantino, go see it!

OK, bit hyped up because I've just got back. It's no Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs but it's still a hundred times better than the usual summer cinema drivvle we have to pick from. The tension he creates is so intense and the end scene is to die for (hehe, puns <3) His style is so precise and original, I can't get enough of his movies, I just wish he'd make more!

Yes, I love Tarantino.

I'm sure someone here will disagree, there's always one :wink:

the_missus

Mega Poster
Watched Donkey Punch the other night, I had already been warned that it was dark and a bit violent.......Well they weren't wrong!!

It is an amazing film! Maybe it was predictable in bits, but the soundtrack and sound effects are brilliant! There's one point in the film where one of the bloke's gets kicked in the family jewels and the noise it made even had me cringing!!

I recommend that you watch it! Don;t want to say too much about it, as I'll probably end up spoiling it!

But yes, there is a Donkey Punch in it!!! :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
Donkey Punch is an excellent thriller, I really enjoyed it. If you like that, watch Adrift, I found them very similar.

peep

CF Legend
Watched two films on TV tonight. First one was Princess Diaries 2.

I've not seen the first one but I was bored. I actually enjoyed it. It had major cringe-worthy moments but it had a good little story and Anne Hathaway <3

Rating: 3/5

Then I watched Poseidon.

Just a typical 'omg we are all gonna die' type film. Wasn't anything amazing, I suppose it passed the time lol.

Rating: 2/5

wash

Mega Poster
District 9
The commercial tells you that there are a lot of secrets in District 9. What it doesn't tell you is that two qualifies as a lot (oh, and you can see the "secrets" from a mile a way). Yes, it's a good movie, but I just don't understand all the hype. D9 has a great premise, but fails to take it anywhere. The movie starts out well, and quickly establishes itself as unique and intelligent before diving headfirst into over an hour of brainless, repetitive gunfights and explosions, all riddled with plot holes and inconsistencies. Now I like gunfights and explosions as much as the next guy, but D9 is just okay in its action sequences, not great. Don't be fooled by talk of the movie's deep and insightful racial allegories. D9 has developed these ideas only to the level of an after school special. All that said, I did like the movie and can recommend it, but it just didn't meet my expectations.
7/10

(These next two movies are somewhat obscure, so I've included trailers.)
The Hurt Locker
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhQdJTlo5NI[/youtube]
The Hurt Locker is not a movie about war, it's a movie about what it's like to be a soldier. The film follows three main characters as they diffuse bombs and encounter death on a daily basis. The film presents dangerous situation after dangerous situation, but each one is different from the last- no matter how much time the three spend doing their job, they will never be fully prepared for what they encounter next. Ultimately, the Hurt Locker is about how these soldiers handle war- or fail to. Definitely the year's best film so far.
8.5/10 - 9/10

Dark City
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpS1ynQbDSk[/youtube]
It's good. Watch it.
8/10

peep

CF Legend
Haha, someone was recommending Dark City to me the other day. I'll have to track down a copy of it. I'm also hearing very mixed reviews of District 9, I think a lot of the hype is also down to how great the film is for a first time director.

Btw, I just got tickets to see 15 mins of Avatar footage in 3D on Friday. Should be interesting. I'll let you guys know what it's like.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Dark city is good. It's a little slow, and the film making isn't quite up to the slow pace, but it's really not far off. So yeah, well worth watching, but just not quite good enough to be a "great" film.

I watched a lot yesterday, hangovers and Sundays full of films FTW!

With the kids we started with Stuart Little, which is still pretty rubbish. Even the kids didn't like it. Hugh Grant is immensely irritating in it, and Geena Davis not much better. The film just waddles along being cute and stuff, but it's just not quite there.

A bit later, and it's time for Clash of the TItans. One of my all time favourite films as a kid. I must have seen it four times at the cinema! Ray Harryhausen at the top of his game, producing fantastically dated SFX :lol:

At the time, it was utterly mind blowing. Now it look sawful, but the film is still great fun to watch. It IS exceptionally long for a kids film though. It's also a bit too complicated, with lots of sub plots and sub quests. It never really focuses on much other than being fantastical :)

The last thirty minutes or so are the real highlights, with the defeat of Medusa and the scorpion attack. Both kids lapped it all up and it's an excellent use of over two hours of a hungover Sunday :)

Max Payne next. I loved the games to be honest. I loved the way that the games took a real cinematic approach, and the style of the games was lovely. The film mimicked that style, which was actually brilliant when it was doing it. Sadly, the film just lumbers along without any real direction. The game was a simple (but gorgeous) walk in room, kill baddies, walk into next room, repeat ad infinitum. Oddly, this only happened in a few short spates at the end of the film. They should have forgotten about being cerebral at all and just made it a stylistic high body count action film. As they tried to be clever, it failed over all. Some lovely bits, but generally a big fat meh!

Finally, I rounded the evening off (like Peep) with Poseidon. I loved the original 1970s (or was it 80s) film. It was cheese on a stick that was done so well in those days of the disaster movie. This was a disaster movie in all senses, in that it sucked. It didn't have the cheese appeal of the original, so lost out because it was too professional, but complete rubbish. Poorly made rubbish is good, well made rubbish is bad :)

The biggest issue is, when the people die, you should be cheering because they're annoying, or laughing because it's so badly done. I just didn't care about any of the characters. Ah well... :)

the_missus

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:
Donkey Punch is an excellent thriller, I really enjoyed it. If you like that, watch Adrift, I found them very similar.

I have seen a bit of Adrift, but caught it half way through, so didn't really get into it and couldn't be bothered to wacth it to the end!

But if ya say its like Donkey Punch, then I may give it another go!

nadroJ said:
Hugh Grant is NOT in Stuart Little!

I think furie may have meant Hugh Laurie(Think he's getting confused cos of his old age! :p)....who is equally as annoying as Hugh Grant!!

And Poseidon is shockingly bad......and what makes it worse is that it is a remake of a classic!! Poseidon Adventure is a great film and they dishonoured it by making that ****ty remake!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
Hugh Grant is NOT in Stuart Little!

Yeah, meant Hugh Laurie! Both are ****ing annoying twats though in their films (though I do generally like Hugh Laurie, in Stuart Little he's almost as hitable as the fop haired tosspot).

peep

CF Legend
Watched two films today. First was Fargo on DVD.

I like this film, Steve Buscemi, William H Macy and Frances McDormand are amazing. The story is quite good too and it is brilliantly directed.

Rating: 4/5

Next up was Walt Disney's The Aristocats.

LOVE this film, always been one of my favs. It has some excellent songs, great lovable characters with a simple and very enjoyable storyline.

Rating: 5/5

peep

CF Legend
^You're forgetting that Emily Blunt is also one of the leads in Wolfman :D. Btw I think it looks fantastic, great special effects, timeless tale of a man turning into a wolf etc and a superb cast, can't wait.

Whereas Avatar looks quite pants, glad I didn't get into the mass hype machine. However this opinion may change tomorrow when I see 15 mins of it in 3D at the IMAX.

peep

CF Legend
Double post, oh wells.

Today I got the chance to see 15 minutes of Avatar in IMAX 3D. My review is now in spoiler tags due to the request of Clam.

Well it has given me more hope for the film. I thought the trailer looked poor but it was more satisfying to see proper footage on the big screen. One problem with the trailer is that the 'Avatars' look too game-like, to be honest there were still some parts of the footage which still looked very much like a game. Hell I'm going to do a good and bad list thing....

Good points:
- I loved the soundtrack, really gave a cool jungle meets Sci-fi feel
- The creatures were terrifying, this film is not going to be for the faint-hearted
- Looks like there may be a decent plot in there somewhere
- At times the CGI was absolutely phenomenal, very life-like

Bad points:
- Occasionly the CGI looks like it is part of a PS3 game
- Umm, I think that's it

So yeah, I'm now officially excited about seeing Avatar in December.

I also went to see Adam at the cinema.

I liked it, very simple and sweet. Basically the film is about a guy, called Adam, who has aspergers. A new neighbour moves into the apartment a few floors up from him and they keep seeing each other. The film then follows the two fall in love and the difficulties each person in the relationship faces when one of them has the disorder. I really recommend it, a really well made film.

Rating: 4/5

Error

Strata Poster
Had to spend time with the sister's kids, so we went and saw Shorts.

Best way to put it: kids on acid.

Firstly, nothing was in order. Everything was hyped up and confusing and made no sense. It was weird.

Secondly...what the hell?

Only think it's good if I was five. Therefore, 5/10