What's new

"Now Showing"

Ben

CF Legend
Films should only be allowed to be made by Spanish people, people who speak Spanish or somewhere in there feature Spanish. All the best films have that.

... and Burton.

Rec <3

Taylor didn't like it so it shows how awesome this film is.

Ollie, do you wanna reread my reviews for that movie? When did I say I didn't like it?! I said it was over the top and the end confused me, and that it wasn't as fantastic as everyoen said it was, but it was still a great film. Not better than Blair Witch, but still great. I remember giving it an 8/10, so check your facts before you post bullcrap.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This hadn't been funny if it wasn't LFTL who said:
so check your facts before you post bullcrap.
Must... not... make... joke...

...Aww, too late.

In other news, I saw the Star Wars prequel trilogy since last time I posted here:

I is OK. It was the first Star Wars film I ever saw (years ago), so I can't judge it before having seen the original trilogy. The podrace is spectacular, though (as it's inspired by Flåklypa Grand Prix).

II was a bit more "meh". Okay linking story, but there was a lot of bad acting. It sounded like some of the actors were there only because they were paid for it (in the end, that fits pretty much every actor, but you get what I mean), and the battles were a bit "duller" than in the first one, even though it contained a lot more fighting.

III was okay. Better acting and better fighting than in the previous ones. Also great lead-up to the events in the original trilogy.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Just got back from seeing Role Models.

It was funny, just not Superbad funny.
That's all I have to say on that.

6/10

Lain

Giga Poster
I just got back from seeing My Bloody Valentine.

Without the 3D effects, it would be your bog standard Scream rip off. With the 3D effects, it was F*CKING AWESOME.

That is all.

Error

Strata Poster
Saw Next last night on my PC.

The movie's potential wasn't fully reached, but it was there. There were several points that got me mad because it changed so much, at one point showing I believe 6 alterations in 5 minutes. So you never knew sometimes if he was seeing the future or not, but that added to the development.

Overall, I interesting movie, but I wouldn't see it more then a few times.

6/10

Aerith

Mega Poster
Elfen lied - 10/10

Description:

The Diclonius are a species of evolved humans with two cat-ear like horns and vectors, transparent telekinetically controlled arms that have the power to manipulate and cut objects within their reach. Diclonii are being held in a facility off the coast of Kamakura in Kanagawa, south of the city of Yokohama, by the scientist Kurama. The first of the Diclonius race, a teenage girl named by the staff as "Lucy," escapes, using her vectors to deflect gunfire and effortlessly kill security guards. As she makes her way out of the facility, a sniper shoots her, breaking her metal helmet and causing her to fall into the sea. The next morning, Kohta is moving to Kamakura to study in a university where he is reunited with his cousin Yuka. He encounters Lucy on a beach in the area, naked with her head bleeding from the bullet wound and only capable of saying the word "Nyu." Kohta and Yuka decide to take her with them, naming her "Nyu" as a result.

Lucy and Nyu have opposite personalities, and switch between them very abruptly, the first instance of which Bando becomes a victim.A Diclonius named Nana and a Special Assault Team task force, led by the violent soldier Bando, are sent to hunt down Lucy. However, Lucy and her cold characteristics have not yet faded away; whenever she hits her head or is confronted with violence, she reverts to her sadistic side and makes transitions between her two personalities throughout the series, the first of which is seen against Bando, who has his eyes poked out, and Nana, who has all her limbs ripped off by Lucy's vectors. Eventually, Kurama decides to repair the bodies of Bando and Nana and send Nana back to Kamakura, contrary to his orders to put her down. Nana and Mayu, a 14-year-old runaway youth who witnessed the confrontation between Nana and Lucy, as well as the result of Bando's encounter with Lucy, both end up living in Kohta's household.

Several developments in the story are made and explained in the latter end of the series regarding the pasts of the characters and the links between them. Mayu is revealed to have been molested by her stepfather, and Kurama is also revealed to be a carrier of Diclonius DNA. Professor Kakuzawa, Kurama's colleague and the son of his boss, is revealed to be a Diclonius just seconds before his head gets torn off by Lucy. Kurama's wife died as a result of complications after giving birth, and Kurama was almost forced to kill his newborn Diclonius daughter; however Kakuzawa's father, the head of the facility, agreed to let her live on the condition that explosives be planted inside her to be detonated if she escaped the facility and caused destruction in the human world. Lucy's past, why she turned sadistic, and her connections with Kohta are also revealed.

Toward the end of the series, Kurama is forced to unleash Mariko, his Diclonius daughter and disputedly the most powerful Diclonius, to kill Lucy and return the species into hiding forever. Lucy, Nana and Kohta encounter Mariko, accompanied by the staff at the facility, on a bridge, where Mariko almost kills them. As Lucy kills the search team accompanying Mariko in retrieving her, including the majority of the remaining staff at the facility, Kurama is cornered with the last three Diclonius left. He chooses instead to spend a final father-daughter moment and die with Mariko as the explosives in her detonate. Nana returns to the household with Kohta, Yuka and Mayu, and Lucy sees Kohta on the same set of steps as where they had their final conversation eight years earlier, telling him her true feelings, her remorse, and how she is in love with Kohta. Lucy leaves to face the remaining assault team deployed by the facility; her ultimate fate is unknown.

Trust me very worth seeing :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Urgh I really want to see My Bloody Valentine 3D in the cinema but can't because it's an 18 and I'm not 18 for another 8 months yet. :(

Does anyone know if the dvd version will be in 3d and will come with the 3d glasses you get in the cinema, or will they be the crappy red and blue lens ones?

Still it won't be as good as it would be in the cinema as I keep hearing really good reviews about it.

peep

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Urgh I really want to see My Bloody Valentine 3D in the cinema but can't because it's an 18 and I'm not 18 for another 8 months yet. :(

Does anyone know if the dvd version will be in 3d and will come with the 3d glasses you get in the cinema, or will they be the crappy red and blue lens ones?

Still it won't be as good as it would be in the cinema as I keep hearing really good reviews about it.

The 3D technology that is now used in cinemas is unable to transfer into home use. Its something that Hollywood is pleased about because it increases the amount of peeps going to the cinema.

Although can someone please confirm for me if this film uses Real3D (Tim Burton like glasses) or the traditional red/blue headache-inducing glasses?

Lain

Giga Poster
peep said:
Although can someone please confirm for me if this film uses Real3D (Tim Burton like glasses) or the traditional red/blue headache-inducing glasses?

"Real D Cinema - The Premier Digital 3D Experience"

It says on the thing my glasses came in.

And yeah, even if you could get 3D at home, I can't see it being anywhere near as good, with everyone in the cinema screen screaming and shouting and stuff, and all the awestruck responses to the 3D effects.

It was really good.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:

I was going to see 18's at the cinema from about 16. I saw a 12 hour horror fest at 16 1/2 in Liverpool. I don't see the prob... Oh... Toddler hair... :lol:

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^^Polar Express IMAX 3D pwns.

^I saw Aliens and The Fly when I was 16, and they were X-rated :p. And also awesome.

Sorry for the long post, but my 2009 resolution is to record every film I see this year, so here goes!

Yes Man
I quite like Jim Carrey, but this is pretty dire. It felt like a very tired 80's comedy throwback, with lazy writing and an appalling soundtrack. Nice (but brief) cameo from Terence Stamp, but a shame to see Carrey has sunk to this level. Not the best start to the year!
4/10

Che Part 1
January usually brings out the Oscar bait, and 2009 is no exception. Che was the first one I hit up.

Oscar-winning actor? Check (Benicio Del Tero). Oscar-winning director? Check (Steven Soderbergh). Heavyweight topic? Check (Che Guevara and the fall of Cuba).

Top quality film? Hmmm. It's a bit of a mess to be honest.

It's nicely shot, and tries to cram a lot in, and BDT is very good. However it leaps all over the place which undermines any connection with events, and doesn't present a consistent portrayal of Che the man (not BDT's fault there).

The final sequence is good, as it sticks to one event and time-frame, but by that point you've almost lost interest, as the film hasn't delivered the complete portrait of Che you might be expecting.

Not sure if I'll bother with Part 2, apparently it's even more disjointed.
6/10

(BUT it was projected digitally, and the picture quality was ****ing superb! If that's the future, I want it now).

Slumdog Millionaire
I was trying to reign in my expectations for this, but it was getting increasingly difficult with it being so well reviewed!

Many aspects of the film are superb - the vibrancy of the locale and it's depiction on-screen, the acting of the kids, the intent of the script, much of the photography, the bouncing soundtrack, and the use of Hindi throughout.

BUT, I've got to say, ultimately I'm disappointed, and I wish I wasn't.

Too many key aspects of the film are mis-handled. The Mumbai police are cliched and unbelievable, which undermines the older Jamal's character, and he doesn't look at all slum-like as an adult. The progression of the 3 main characters doesn't flow properly, mainly due to the way their older incarnations are written. The visual exposition of the TV show is messy, and its resolution rather rather weak. And the character beats are out.

That's a degree of the editing, writing and the direction misfiring then. Not ALL of it, but enough to disrupt my enjoyment.

So *nearly* a classic film, but a brave effort with a tiny budget! Good luck to them, it's about time Danny Boyle got some recognition.
7.5/10

(BTW, Slumdog was shot digitally - I'd love to see it as a digital projection!).

The Reader
Now this was frustrating. The film has 3 definite acts: the first was bloody fantastic (particularly if you've ever lusted after Kate Winslet), the 2nd is good but misses its objective, and the 3rd is boring a hell.

Winslet is superb, she's such a good actor, and the kid does well too. Fiennes is decent but doesn't seem to quite match up.

There's an interesting subtext to the film which is inadequately handled, so enjoy the first 2/3 and ditch the rest.
7/10

The Wrestler
Big Oscar buzz for Mickey Rourke for this, which is understandable, he's very good (but not that big a stretch for him really).

Film is waaay too simplistic and boring though! I could have walked after the first hour.

It's low-budget (and looks it), so it understandably focuses on Rourke's tired wrestler. But it was too simple to hold my interest for 2 hours.

Kudos to the actors for putting their bodies on the line (including Marisa Tomei - that's some body!).

But as an Aranofsky film, it's a big disappointment.
4/10

So none of the Oscar front-runners I've seen have really landed it, but Slumdog is leading the way so far.

Valkyrie and Frost/Nixon next!

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I went to the cinema the other week and we were late for the film we actually wanted to see (which was Che Part 1), so we ended up seeing another film instead which was...

Australia

Now i'm not a fan of Mr Luhrmann's work (please don't kill me), but we decided to give it a go if only for a giggle. :p

I came out entirely confused to be honest, not about the plot (which could be three entirely different ones) but just in general. It was full of sweeping theatrics you'd expect from the man himself which makes this a stunning piece of visual theater. Sadly i think there was some chopping and changing going on, on a massive scale. It felt like Baz let his mind run away from him and then someone pulled him back to earth (like a lead weight), so you feel the film (as intended) is somehow unrealised.

Forgive me for the possible SPOILERS (though it really doesn't mean anything). Without ranting on for ages and ages, it played up at the beginning and the end the plight of the indigenous people of Australia, but rarely (and awkwardly) touched on it in the film. In fact there were a few awkwardly long scenes which weren't needed at all. You also got a feel that you were just watching a big extravagant tourism advert, and i've never laughed so much when i discovered he's had a hand in the new visit Australia television ad (with elements of the film included). At the best points it felt H. Rider Haggard with the man's man character Hugh Jackman plays. At worst it was still pretty to look at but juxtaposed areas of the story like nothing else.

I found myself after the second hour had passed feeling like the film should have ended already. In fact there were a few moments where i thought the credits would appear, but they never came :p In fact i was so overjoyed at the real end that i wanted to clap, but i thought the other cinema goers might not share my sentiments.

I still don't know what i feel about this film, it's an odd sentiment.

Overall though i think i went to see the better film (Che may just be lacking because we need the other half), it might make your head ache at some points but it's worth a watch.

Ollie

CF Legend
Lain said:
"Real D Cinema - The Premier Digital 3D Experience"

It says on the thing my glasses came in.

And yeah, even if you could get 3D at home, I can't see it being anywhere near as good, with everyone in the cinema screen screaming and shouting and stuff, and all the awestruck responses to the 3D effects.

It was really good.
Stop making it worse that cinemas are much stricter with age ratings so that I can't see it.
This means that I'll probably NEVER get to see it in it's 3D goryness. :(

Johnny

Hyper Poster
January usually brings out the Oscar bait, and 2009 is no exception. Che was the first one I hit up.
That didn't receive any nominations lol.

But my parents saw Frost/Nixon, and loved it.

John91

Mega Poster
The Oscars blow a large one. They complain about not getting any viewers and have the chance to redeem themselves and get people interested by nominating The Dark Knight for stuff. Instead they give everything to the monumental piles of meh in The Reader and Benjamin Button. Brad Pitt should have been nominated for Fight Club, not that mediocre stuff. ****ing Joke.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
^Aside from the Oscars, I heard Benjamin Button is amazing.

Have you seen it?

But I agree, Brad Pitt was pretty good in Fight Club.

^ Aw, it wasn't meh, but yeah I don't think it was quite as fantastic as it's being made out to be. Like, it's good, but I think the actual main problem with it is that it lacked a climax really. It seemed like it could kind of be half a fictional biography and half a movie.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I've got hopes for Benjamin Button, but it's certainly dividing opinion.

BTW, for the first hour, there IS no Brad Pitt, it's an entirely CG head. They spent years researching how to do it.