What's new

"Now Showing"

Last night I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High which wasn't a masterpiece by any means but it's still a classic and it's fairly funny as well. It's a good movie and it depicts high school well for the time it was made, just don't watch it expecting it to be something amazing or anything.

But, Australian accents <3

Queen.kt

Roller Poster
Last night I watched a film called 'Not Another teen Movie' it is really funny. But out of my friends I seem to be the only one that watched it. Did anyone watch it or did I imagine that I watched it.

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
Norbit - 6/10

The other day I watched an eagerly waited Eddie Murphy film, and I was one of those eager to watch it. But after the first few minutes I turned to my mate and said "I've got a feeling this is gonna be crap" It was OK in the end.

On the whole it was quite funny, making you laugh in places which were genuinly funny. Other things that were supposed to be funny, weren't. A very predictable story line, how many times do we need a love film like it. Man and women meet, one of them goes and then they turn up again a while after, crap happens and they end up married. Stupid and overused.

Not the best from Eddie Murphy, not worth watching.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I had a long break at work yesterday, so met up with some jobless friends and went to the cinema:

Stranger Than Fiction

I was pleasantly surprised. I really loved this film. I can't stand Will Ferrel usually, but he was great in this, as were Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah and Emma Thompson. Highly recommended.

Hannibal Rising

I'm a bit sick of Lecter now......Obviously nowhere near the brilliance of Silence of the Lambs, but much better than Hannibal. It was very creepy, without being a total gore fest.

I'm a bit sick of Lecter now......Obviously nowhere near the brilliance of Silence of the Lambs, but much better than Hannibal. It was very creepy, without being a total gore fest.

Hannibal Rising. Well, I had it but it turned out to be an illegal copy so it didn't work on my DVD player. However, how good could a movie in the Hannibal series be if it doesn't have Anthony Hopkins in it? He makes those movies what they are.

Anyway, I watched The Virgin Suicides and it was alright, but the ending was kind of dumb. I mean, the whole movie seemed good but the end seemed too abrupt or something. It's hard to explain, but parts of it were just annoying. Overall though, it was okay.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Hannibal Rising. Well, I had it but it turned out to be an illegal copy so it didn't work on my DVD player. However, how good could a movie in the Hannibal series be if it doesn't have Anthony Hopkins in it? He makes those movies what they are.

I would have agreed with you before I watched the movie, but actually the guy that plays Hannibal Lector (can't think of his name and can't be arsed to do a search) was fantastic in this. He got the whole tone of the character just right.

After all, the story is about how Lecter turned out the way he did, so they had to use a younger actor. I just preferred it to Hannibal. In that movie, Lecter became a kind of comic villain in some ways, which was just wrong. Also, the dark, gothic atmosphere of Hannibal Rising was much scarier than the bunch of gore effects in Hannibal.

Hannibal: Julian Moore = meh
Rising: Gong Li = Fab

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
However, how good could a movie in the Hannibal series be if it doesn't have Anthony Hopkins in it? He makes those movies what they are.

If you've read the books though (which I did before Silence of the Lambs was released (ie I read Red Dragon and Silence before Silence was released )), Anthony Hopkins isn't actually much like the Lector in the novels. The guy who played him first in Manhunter - Brian Cox, was a much more cold and calculating version, which was spot on to the books (though the Lector in Hannibal was re-written slightly by Thomas Harris to make him more like Anthony Hopkins).

I agree, Anthony Hopkins played a brilliant part in Silence, but Brian Cox's version in Manhunter is better, but not as menacing or scary.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Red Dragon the movie was also rubbish compared to Manhunter.

I wandered into my local Blockbuster earlier as they have a 2-for-1 deal on with Nectar cards this week, and what do I spy on the shelf? Idiocracy! So they dumped it straight to DVD then.

Just watched it. Rather silly, but it has some fun moments (Nazi dinosaurs :p). It's a bit hamstrung by it's own concept though - having almost the entire cast be completely imbecilic means not much plot and plenty of annoying characters.

Yeah Furie, I've never actually read the novels unfortunately, but the movies are good enough for right now considering I have a crap load of reading to do for class and stuff. Maybe when I get time I'll read the novels just to see how they compare to the books. Are they really long?

Having said that, not having read the books I still can't imagine anyone else playing the spot of Hannibal in the films.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Because in Hannibal Rising, he's a teenager. As perfect as I think Hopkins is in that role, there is no possible way he could have played Lecter in this movie. A small cameo at the end, perhaps to remind us of what Lecter was to become, might have worked though.

As for the books, Silence of the Lambs really isn't that long, and is amazing. Red Dragon is excellent, too. Hannibal was written after the success of the Lambs movie, and while it's really good, just seems like a total cash in, and doesn't "feel" the same as the first two.

Ugh, I watched Gattaca the other day and let me just say I was far from impressed.

First of all, the movie confused me during the majority of it, because we had to do school work while watching it and it was hard to multi task, plus most of the characters looked quite similar which made it hard to differentiate between them all. Though it was very much like The Chrysalids, a very good book indeed, it stunk. The storyline was crappy, and I just didn't like it. Not my kind of movie at all.

4/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I thought Gattaca was pretty good, but nothing amazing. You do need to concentrate though as the story is a bit twisty-turny.

I watched Silent Hill last night... Not sure what I think of it. It's was very well produced and had some good moments, but it stank of being a flat game-film conversion (which of course it was).

I've never played the games, but have watched demos and stuff, so had some idea of it all. The problem was, I think, that all the good stuff was ripped right out of the game, and nothing original and good was added in.

Dunno, but it's worth a watch if you like twisted horror/gore. Maybe 7/10.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Silent Hill stuck almost too close to the game for the first hour, with skimpy plotting and character but excellent imagery and foreboding. It was only when the film decided to finally inject some new plot that it went off the rails. Still waiting for that quality video game adaptation...

As for Gattaca, that's a quality film! Well written, stylish, good concepts, good acting, great score by Nyman. It's definitely not your average Hollywood product.

My next film will probably be Sunshine, should be interesting.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Silent Hill. I guess it would've helped if I was familiar with the game, but I just didn't get this movie at all. I was a bit creepy I guess, but that was it.

I just saw The Number 23. It was pretty good, nothing amazing, and I saw the twist coming from a million miles away, but definitely worth a watch.

I watched Final Destination 2, finally. I've seen both one and three, but somehow I missed out on number two and just never felt like watching it. Yesterday though, I pulled it out and decided to give it a go.

Let me just say I quite like the Final Destination movies. Their storyline isn't amazing but they show a lot of the deaths, and the deaths are pretty creative. I don't mean to sound morbid, but the cute guy in Final Destination 2 getting squished by that thing that fell was just awesome, as well as the guy getting the ladder through his eye.

So yeah, the movie was pretty good, but the ending was retarded with the arm flying right in front of the mother.

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
So do I. The FD movies are the best modern horror movies. The second part is pretty unpredictable, not like the first one. Better plot and some kind of scary atmosphere. I usually watch horror movies at night when everyone is sleeping around in the neighbourhood. :) I guess I own all 3 Final Destination DVDs if I remember well.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Saw loads of films this weekend:

First up was TMNT.. Which was GREAT!! But then i've always been a turtle nerd. The bad parts were that:

a) Sarah michelle gellar as april - SUCKED big style. And the new look april was terrible too
b) Splinter sounded drunk (and was waaay too cute and fluffy for a rat living in a sewer)
c) For the most part the plot was fairly grown up. But they spoiled it by trying to appeal to kids and putting in kids jokes, and over-explaining stuff again and again (booo!)
d) the ending (stolen from highlander) sucked

Next up was Fido: Mini Review: Great. Well watchable, not laugh our loud funny. But good all the same. And it had billy collony in it.. which is good enuf for me.

Finally today i saw grindhouse (two pictures in one). TBH after 3 hrs in the cinema i was getting a bit bored. Both films do drag a bit. The first one was funny though once it got going. And the 2nd one (once they get past the dull section at the start in the bar), absolutely ROCKED! Best car chase sequence in movie history.

That is all.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
mrclam said:
Finally today i saw grindhouse (two pictures in one).
Finally? It's just come out hasn't it? :) Where's my envy smilie...

mrclam said:
Best car chase sequence in movie history.
I've read others saying that, no mean feat!

Tarantino is prone to indulgence, so not surprised it was overlong, and they were never going to keep 2 films down to a decent time. But at least it sounds like it's worth watching! Fake trailers good?

Lewis

Hyper Poster
Mr Bean's Holiday - 6/10

Well Rowan Atkinson strikes again. OK, there are some funny parts but it just the usual nonsense which comes from his mind. It's not as good as Bean: The Movie IMO but its still worth seeing if you like Mr. Bean.