What's new

"Now Showing"

I saw Iron Man last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I wasn't expecting Kirosawa, just an enjoyable superhero movie without an inflated sense of its own importance, and decent acting for a change, and I got it.

The good points: RDJ was the perfect choice (ably supported by Paltrow and Bridges), brave casting since no RDJ film has ever made big money; purposely grounding Iron Man in as realistic a context as possible; Jon Favreau putting together an extremely well thought out set of direction; and for VFX connoisseurs, ILM (plus about 5 other companies) have excelled themselves.

Downsides: dialogue's occasionally ropey; still could have had more humour; the climax was lazy (the point at which Smelly's "predictable plot" argument really kicks in); and it didn't explore the "man choosing to be reliant on technology" theme enough.

I'd give it a 7.5 overall, and looking forward to the sequel :D.

We didn't get the Dark Knight trailer :(. Although from what I've seen, I'm worried that Ledger was trying too hard to act like Gary Oldman.

We did however get the new Hulk trailer. I'm not convinced. I paid to see the last one, don't want to get burned again...

Coaster Ollie said:
I'm doing my GCSEs on that book. So yeah my future relies on how much I know about it, If that's not scary I don't know what is. :p
Hehe, I had to do LOTF for my O-level 20 years ago :lol:. It's a really good book though. I don't think a film's done it justice yet, even if the general premise has been ripped-off plenty of times (particularly by Lost :p).

Iron Man was indeed formulaic and basic in the plot department. It was, however, very competently filmed, and well paced. I went expecting to see some low brow action super hero flick, and it excelled :)

Smelly, Batman Begins was equally as formulaic and predictable, so be quiet! :p

I am going to wait until the dvd comes out as it looks like another cgi film :(. Very put off by Spiderman 3.

I am looking forward to Indi but again where they used to do stunts and use models its cgi so I think this could spoil the film, I am not a fan of cgi :(. It has its place yes but I think where they culd do real stunts they should.

southend_marc said:
I am going to wait until the dvd comes out as it looks like another cgi film :(. Very put off by Spiderman 3.

I am looking forward to Indi but again where they used to do stunts and use models its cgi so I think this could spoil the film, I am not a fan of cgi :(. It has its place yes but I think where they culd do real stunts they should.

With Iron Man they only use CGI to help bring the flying sequences to life, they probably use it on some other bits too but its not in-your face. You hardly notice it, thats when the peeps that do CGI need a pat on the back, when you really have to think twice about if its real or not.

According to the peeps that worked on Indy, they havn't used much CGI and that most of it is filmed 'old school', basically they have been filming raw stunts. Looking at the full official trailer I would say they are lying. A post on another forum even spotted out the fact that the whip in one scene is even CGI, argh! You can also tell that the chase sequences are full of CGI too, they lie I tell thee. Meh, tonight I will be booking my tickets to see it in leceister square, I don't care, its Indianna Jones!

Yes seeing the trailer of Indi I would say they are lying to lol.

The mine train part of Temple of Doom was done with models and it looked fantastic, now days they would just cgi that and the whole thing whould look like a computer game.

I did not notice much cgi in Batman Begins tbh but Spiderman 3 was a complete joke.

Okaaaaay.. maybe i was being a little harsh on iron man.. maybe i had high expectations..

i admit it didnt suck as much as the original hulk (or hellboy) movie did for example.

"rush hour 3" and "harold and kumar 2" still suck the sweat off a dead mans balls though.

Hehe, I had to do LOTF for my O-level 20 years ago . It's a really good book though. I don't think a film's done it justice yet, even if the general premise has been ripped-off plenty of times (particularly by Lost ).

Yeah, I'd like to read the book if I can get a hold of it. Not gonna buy it though, I'll probably just get it from the library. Speaking of wilderness books though, I still have yet to read Into the Wild, which was a great movie.

Iron Man - ****ing amazing, go see it if you haven't. One of the greatest superhero movies ever made.

And I'm totally going to the midnight premiere of Indy IV. Hell ****ing yeah.

Golden Compass

8/10.. Great movie, just not my cup of tea. Plus, I half expected a huge war, but had no idea I'd be in for 2 more movies.. son of a bitch.. :lol:

Shoot Em Up

9.5/10.. loved it.. being my type of random awesome killing, really cool actually. Didn't like how the plot went in some parts tho.

SnooSnoo said:
Golden Compass

8/10.. Great movie, just not my cup of tea. Plus, I half expected a huge war, but had no idea I'd be in for 2 more movies.. son of a bitch.. :lol:

You probably won't be!

The film did so badly, the sequels have been cancelled.

WHAT?! you must be kidding! the next 2 books would make fantastic films! (if done correctly). I don't think The Golden Compass came across well on film, but i'd love to see the next 2, they just get bigger and better.

Lain said:
You probably won't be!

Since when? It's not been announced or denied. The film bombed in the US comparatively, but did excellent overseas. Pity New Line sold the foreign rights, so I'm not even sure they got any of the money :p

Though since Time Warner bought New Line a few weeks ago, they may well make one, or at least will have the funds to do so.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... ompass.htm

It just about managed to double its production cost, though whether this is 'enough' to justify the last two, no one (except New Line :p) seems to know, especially seeing as the director seems to want to film them back to back (much like LotR).

Here's hoping they won't massacre it/them like they did the first, though I get the feeling that was mostly down to tight restrictions from New Line on length and most of the $180m ended up on the cutting room floor...

'On February 29, 2008, director Chris Weitz told The Daily Yomiuri that he still hopes for sequels, saying "a lot depends on Japan, frankly.... I think if it does well enough here we'll be in good shape for that."

On March 13, 2008, The Golden Compass Producer Deborah Forte expressed optimism that sequels could be made, and said that she intends to see them realized.'

As of last week, it had taken $33 million in Japan. That's pretty good, but not in the Harry Potter/POTC league.

So they're still deciding. I think with some shrewd budgeting they can justify it financially overseas, the problem is the series is dead in the US now.

southend_marc said:
I did not notice much cgi in Batman Begins tbh but Spiderman 3 was a complete joke.

Batman Begins tried not to use CGI where it wasn't needed, and used stunts and miniatures where possible, so that'll be why you didn't notice much. It was for the best really, the film had a dark and raw feel to it, and the realistic element brought to it from a lack of CGI certainly helped that. A lot of the technologies mentioned are real to an extent, the Tumbler is an actual working vehicle, all this stuff adds up for realism's sake.

I dont really have a problem with CGI when its needed like in Transformers, it was done well.

I have seen the new trailer for the Indi film and they seem to have used it alot, will still see the film and enjoy it.

One of the worst films I have seen for CGI was Lion the Witch the animals looks stupid, but for the 2nd film they seem to have put that right.

Speed Racer

8.5/10

I never saw the show, and had no real idea what was going on, so it made for quite the enjoyable movie imo. Lots of good action, gives you a good history about the whole thing... very nice.